Big dog and small dog

Carl

I am planning to have a guard dog German shepherd and a little dog Pembroke Corgi (my wife love little dog).

I wanna know if it is common or not recommended to let the guard dog live outdoor and little dog live indoor?

I havent get the pups yet. Just wanna planned everything before hand. I dont know if the guard dog feel left out or not if he/she live outdoor. 

And I live in SA, would that be better to have a kennel for the dog outdoor or it is sleep on the mat. Cause Adelaide is about 3-8 degree at night time....

I guess the first question is what access to outside will the Corgi have ,why does the GSD have to live outside only .What activities will the GSD be getting and what are your expectations for a guard dog .

• Like 2

If you are worried that the outside dog will be jealous of the inside dog, it could happen. If you are going to get them both as puppies, the GSD will need to start off inside anyway - baby pappies shouldn't live outdoors. Getting two puppies at the same time is a lot of work, you may want to rethink that.

The other thing that I want to say is that a Pembroke Corgi is not what I would call a little dog. It is actually a medium to large size dog with very short legs, their bark sounds like quite a large dog bark.

Both of these breeds, once old enough, do very well outdoors when no-one is home, but will best bond with you if allowed indoors when people are home. So do think about them having a doggy door access to outside, but sleeping inside at night. That way the whole property is protected and not just the back yard.

• Like 5

A guard dog does not have to live outside.  The sweetest gentlest of dogs can still be excellent at guarding their home.  

Leaving aside working dogs (dogs who work on farms and properties), the idea of having one dog being a inside dog and one being an outside dog sounds absolutely horrible to me and a potential disaster in the making.    :(  :(  

A so-called inside dog must have access to the outdoors pretty well all the time as well.  You can’t expect a dog, unless superbly trained, to wait for hours until the human is around to let it outside to toilet.  

Please start getting books and reading up on having dogs living with you.    

• Like 4

Dogs outside at night get up to mischief including barking at the moon and mouse farts plus they can be let out through gates or poisoned . My dogs sleep inside and Jonah (Shar Pei) is very good at telling me if something is up outside.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2