Dog walk drama

JulesP

A while a go I got abused my a lady when I asked her to call her off lead dog away from mine. Mine were on a lead but it was in the start of an off lead area. She didn't seem to get the fact that you can't just let your dogs run up to other dogs and started foaming at the mouth about me having unfriendly dogs in a dog park. It isn't a fenced dog park btw it is just an off leash area. 

Saw her today. Hers was on lead, mine were off. So I call them off the path and put them in a sit stay. She abuses me again for having unfriendly dogs in a park park. Well she called them vicious! She then yelled that my black one had attacked hers on another road! Ummm no psycho lady, not sure how mine can attack yours when they have never even touched noses. Last time I saw her I walked on the wide nature strip to avoid her as she was jogging.  She likes to keep walking whilst abusing me so a conversation is rather difficult. 

Normally people thank me for putting my dogs in stay and comment on how well behaved they are!! 

Very odd and not a good start to the day! 

This happens to me all the time even in on leash areas :( There is so much entitlement of "my dog wouldnt hurt anyone", well i dont care if your dog is friendly I dont want your giant crazy dog bouncing on my puppy! 

We sometimes go to off leash parks in the middle of the day when theres hardly anyone around and just tend to avoid the people if we can, I don't mind dogs saying hi to my dog, but if a dog is running at full pelt towards us, I will pick up my puppy so she doesnt get bowled over. Then I have been yelled at for "thats not how dog parks work"  and "you shouldnt be here if you dont want my dog playing (charging at) yours".

Saying mine is in training, injured or sick generally has better luck than actually being in the right, unfortunately. 

1) you can report dogs owners to the council if their dogs are not under effective control (even at the dog park) and are harassing you. Its a good idea to get a picture if you can. I have reported off leash dogs in some streets near me and they went and gave them a talking to/warning, fines if spotted again (which hasnt happened :) ). I did first talk to them and give them some info. 

2) either you can print out or you can ask the council to look into putting up the dog rules at the park, including things like "your dog must be under effective voice control", "parks are multipurpose areas and you are not allowed to let your dog rush at people or dogs", "dogs not under effective voice control should never be off leash" etc. I think most people don't actually know those rules or anything about dog body language - theyve typically just gone to the park and most people have a "they'll sort it out" and "dogs will be dogs" mentality even when their dogs are being jerks

Edited by mowgliandme
  • Like 1

This happens to me all the time even in on leash areas :( There is so much entitlement of "my dog wouldnt hurt anyone", well i dont care if your dog is friendly I dont want your giant crazy dog bouncing on my puppy! 

We sometimes go to off leash parks in the middle of the day when theres hardly anyone around and just tend to avoid the people if we can, I don't mind dogs saying hi to my dog, but if a dog is running at full pelt towards us, I will pick up my puppy so she doesnt get bowled over. Then I have been yelled at for "thats not how dog parks work"  and "you shouldnt be here if you dont want my dog playing (charging at) yours".

Saying mine is in training, injured or sick generally has better luck than actually being in the right, unfortunately. 

1) you can report dogs owners to the council if their dogs are not under effective control (even at the dog park) and are harassing you. Its a good idea to get a picture if you can. I have reported off leash dogs in some streets near me and they went and gave them a talking to/warning, fines if spotted again (which hasnt happened :) ). I did first talk to them and give them some info. 

2) either you can print out or you can ask the council to look into putting up the dog rules at the park, including things like "your dog must be under effective voice control", "parks are multipurpose areas and you are not allowed to let your dog rush at people or dogs", "dogs not under effective voice control should never be off leash" etc. I think most people don't actually know those rules or anything about dog body language - theyve typically just gone to the park and most people have a "they'll sort it out" and "dogs will be dogs" mentality even when their dogs are being jerks

Just a note that none of the bold is enforceable in NSW (unless the dog in situation 1 is actually being aggressive rather than overly friendly/annoying) so Councils in this state would not be able to put up signs like suggested or enforce them. I do believe this is different in VIC. Not sure about other states. 

• Like 2

In Tasmania, the law is clear that offlead dogs must be under effective control, and there are notices to this effect in off leash areas in most municipalities ... some actually explain what the phrase means.   The Department of Premier and Cabinet site explains.   ....

Keeping your dog under effective control

You have an obligation to keep your dog under effective control.

This means that, when your dog is in a public place, such as on a road or in a road related area, it must be held on a lead not more than two metres long by a person able to control the dog. For example, a small child should not be put in control of a large dog.

When your dog is off-lead in other areas, including off-lead exercise areas, you must still keep it under effective control. This means that it must be close to you and in sight at all times and respond to your commands.

You may not have in your charge more than two dogs on a lead on a footpath, or more than four dogs in a public place.

And what a pain that the "lady" is apparently in the same area. Jules P.

This is what I originally tried to explain to her when we first met months ago. She didn't take it well. 

Most people call out to me me that I don't have make the dogs sit with me. Errr just following the law people!

• Like 1

This is what I originally tried to explain to her when we first met months ago. She didn't take it well. 

Most people call out to me me that I don't have make the dogs sit with me. Errr just following the law people!

Not to mention being polite, and keeping your own dogs safe. 

• Like 3

Just a note that none of the bold is enforceable in NSW (unless the dog in situation 1 is actually being aggressive rather than overly friendly/annoying) so Councils in this state would not be able to put up signs like suggested or enforce them. I do believe this is different in VIC. Not sure about other states. 

Are you specifically referring to on-lead dogs who rush humans and/or dogs? Because I know at least two NSW councils who fine owners of loose dogs in on-lead areas. It doesn't matter if the dog is friendly, rude, aggressive or minding its own business, nor whether or not it can be recalled. :confused:

Are you specifically referring to on-lead dogs who rush humans and/or dogs? Because I know at least two NSW councils who fine owners of loose dogs in on-lead areas. It doesn't matter if the dog is friendly, rude, aggressive or minding its own business, nor whether or not it can be recalled. :confused:

I'm talking specifically about off leash areas. There's no requirement in the legislation for a dog to respond to it's owners commands or not be annoying and overly friendly at an unleashed dog park, so the signs like you proposed are unenforceable in NSW (different in VIC as quoted above). If the dog is actually aggressive and its behaviour is meeting the definition of a dog attack, then action can be taken for that offence, but if the dog just keeps coming over and is annoying/overly friendly or boisterous and won't respond to it's owner there's really nothing a council officer in NSW can do. 

On leash areas yes of course, a penalty can be issued for the dog being unleashed. 

Edited by melzawelza
  • Like 2

That's unfortunate that there is nothing that can be done in NSW :( 

It may even be different for different councils in Vic? but thats what my council (Glen Eira) said to do! :) 

Yes it probably is - in Victoria councils can pass bylaws on animal-related stuff on top of the state legislation. We can't do that in NSW so every council is working under the same legislation. 

That was mowgli not me. :grimace:

Whoops! New forum doesn't put the user's name in the quote - sorry! :D 

• Like 2

Yes it probably is - in Victoria councils can pass bylaws on animal-related stuff on top of the state legislation. We can't do that in NSW so every council is working under the same legislation. 

Whoops! New forum doesn't put the user's name in the quote - sorry! :D 

I think it's a glitch that just started recently.  

• Like 1

We have a dog park here but it has no fences and is on a very busy road so I don't go there. Its really hard up here, I don't really walk Cedro because there are so many roaming dogs that give us a hard time. Most are Staff crosses or pig dogs, so, larger than Cedro.  Parvo is rife here as well so there is lots of danger for my dogs. I am thankful I have a 1/4 acre block that they can roam in.