Nexgard Spectra (first all in one?)

Our local vet mentioned this a few weeks ago as a new product that has (finally) come to Australia. 

It does ticks, fleas, heartworm and intestinal worms all in one - which is something I was looking for when I first got my pup :) 

Always best to check with your vet if your dog is sensitive to certain ingredients  or you have any concerns etc

Has anyone used it before? (its been available overseas for ages)

Is it really necessary for dogs to be worm and flea treated every month? it seems a lot of chemical  every 4 weeks or so ..., esp in these times of  most everyone cleaning up dog poo...
I seem to remember worming every 3-4 mths , and flea treatments if/when needed. Obviously in paralysis tick area the procedure will be different   ;) 

• Like 1

Probably not super necessary! :)

My understanding was that heartworm needs to be done every month (or the yearly injection) and intestinal worms done every 3 months, but typically people find it harder to remember to worm every 3rd month as opposed to monthly on the same date...and lots of products combine the two and then need to be given monthly

I take her camping a lot, every weekend or second weekend (including into areas with paralysis ticks and fleas) so I would rather have her covered but if she was just a homely dog that went to the park (in a non tick area) I probably wouldnt get such comprehensive coverage

Everywhere we go also has lots of dog poo :( the council even sent out letters to every single house complaining about it last week

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

there are a lot of dogs having issues with these tablet flea and tick, we have cautiously stopped it for now, they are all over FB and have huge groups of dogs dying and becomming ill or having seizures and blaming these medications. They are currently trying to get then banned.

Old fashioned here ,we don't over worm,we have no need to flea n tick treat and we no longer heartworm ,the risk for heartworm in our area is very small .

We recommend the same protocol to our puppy people with adjustments to where they may be located 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

I vary my flea + tick treatment. Monthly in paralysis tick season but less frequently in off season. For some reason the westie had fleas on his tail recently, so nexguard then, but it's been two months and no reoccurance of fleas. Come warmer and wetter months frequency will increase as paralysis tick risk is just too high.