Lazy pup

Bushriver

Reading the loose leash thread has prompted me to start this one. My beautiful 14 week old lab has a gorgeous laid back nature which I really enjoy. However, I'm planning on showing him and he's quite lazy on the lead. He'll plod along but would prefer to walk! I'm trying to get him a bit excited and lure him with treats, which works to some extent, but would love any tips to try and put a bit more energy into his gait. 

I guess you might just have to acknowledge his personality :)

Yep with the above  I tend to find the very lay pups stay that way which makes it hard for dog sports .

My advice don't over train anything and don't make a big deal but encourage personality in daily life 

• Like 2

I second what Showdog has said. he is who he is.
But if you are doing longish walks you might find that at his age they are too much, try keeping walks quite short and snappy at this point and try to fire him up with exciting treats or toy etc. as you have been doing.
One method is to place something desirable to him (food, toy, whatever he really likes) at one end of the yard or driveway where he can see it and make that item your goal. He will be eager to get there, but of course you will stop dead or reverse every time he pulls on the leash, so hopefully the result will be Mr Eagerly Gaiting on a loose leash. Also make an idiot out of yourself with lots of praise at this stage and go dead quiet when he plods. That might help the penny to drop! You won't be able to do that in the ring, but your training ground is not the show ring, he will know that.

Thanks everyone. I don't take him on long walks on leash as such. It's more on leash for training sessions, practicing circles and up and backs. We walk with the other dogs off leash around the farm. He is quite playful and energetic then so I might try some leash training with the other dogs creating a bit of enthusiasm. I love his laid back personality so I wouldn't change it for the world, but hopefully I can teach him to put on a show when needed!

• Like 3