what would YOU like for your dog

zaya

what would you like to see available for your dog from stores and such which aren't currently available or easy to find if already an existing known product :) would like to know what dog owners are interested in or want for their own dogs !!

More indestructible toys!

Other than that I would love something which can wrap around the couch legs - like a hard canvas with velcro, so that toys don't go under the couch ALL. the. time... I'm pretty sure my pup is teaching me to fetch! :( 

• Like 1

Decent puzzle toys of varying difficulties..

This.

There are also very few stockists of non-restrictive, highly adjustable and high quality front-attach harnesses: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/20_4/features/Best-Dog-Harnesses-2017_21622-1.html?s=FB_041317

(Balance Harness not to be confused with the Black Dog brand Balance Harness)

• Like 2

Non-destructible dog beds reasonably priced that I can see and touch before buying! I know there are various kinds available online but often what you see in a photo turns out to be not quite what you had imagined.

Actually that goes for a lot of stuff only available online - grooming gear, bowls. whelping gear, sport harnesses etc. But I have to admit I would be the sort of disloyal person that goes and checks these things out in-store and then orders them online where they are cheaper due to no store overheads, so that's not going to help  you much, sorry.

If you are thinking of establishing an online store then please feature lots of videos with a well known breed using the products so that we can judge it better. Or it might be just me not being able to visualise things in the new fangled metric dimensions! :laugh:

• Like 2

Better quality products with more range and if possible not as overpriced as you see in Petbarn (and similar shops). 

I feel like some of the bigger brand shops have poorer quality products with less range in brands, but a much higher price.

I would be willing to pay a little more for really good quality products. 

• Like 2

Fresh green tripe at a decent price.

Apparently you can't legally buy Australian green tripe anymore.

I have never been able to source it so I didn't notice, but it has been off the shelves since last year. 

Supposedly the safe food regulation people thought that humans might eat it (not sure why?) so therefore it can't be sold as "PET FOOD ONLY" Very weird. 

I have never been able to source it so I didn't notice, but it has been off the shelves since last year. 

Supposedly the safe food regulation people thought that humans might eat it (not sure why?) so therefore it can't be sold as "PET FOOD ONLY" Very weird. 

I know it has been illegal to sell in Victoria for several years but it was available in Queensland.  I had some sent down to me a few years ago.

In the UK among my dog friends it is the feed of choice and in most cases is bought minced and frozen. No smell 

• Like 1

Our local pet meat place sells fresh green tripe :shrug: They're a DPI licensed, accredited producer so I have to assume the DPI down here are okay with them selling it.

To answer the OP.. so many things.

First, large dog beds that are actually large. A 70 x 50cm bed is large for a small dog but calling it large sort of implies it might fit a large dog. In my opinion, a large bed needs to be at least 90cm on its shortest side. On the topic of large dog beds, maybe with fabric covers that weren't really, really, ugly? Like, maybe several colour choices in some neutral colours that don't involve zigzags or other bright, fugly patterns? It sort of seems like owning large dogs means you don't get to have a pretty house- if you want a large dog, get used to maroon and/or crappy brown ripstop fabric. 

Also, a better range of coats for larger dogs. Why can't one of my 35kg greyhounds wear a pink, bedazzled singlet that says "Princess"? 90% of the coat choices for larger dogs in pet shops are ripstop dog tableclothes that are shapeless, stiff and ugly. I get most of what I need custom made, just because I want something that looks reasonably nice. Same goes for collars and leashes, really. I don't want studs, skulls, leather or camo, just because I own a large dog.

Just nicer stuff for larger dogs, in general. It's endlessly frustrating to find something I really like for my dogs, only to find out it doesn't come in their size.

• Like 3

Our local pet meat place sells fresh green tripe :shrug: They're a DPI licensed, accredited producer so I have to assume the DPI down here are okay with them selling it.

To answer the OP.. so many things.

First, large dog beds that are actually large. A 70 x 50cm bed is large for a small dog but calling it large sort of implies it might fit a large dog. In my opinion, a large bed needs to be at least 90cm on its shortest side. On the topic of large dog beds, maybe with fabric covers that weren't really, really, ugly? Like, maybe several colour choices in some neutral colours that don't involve zigzags or other bright, fugly patterns? It sort of seems like owning large dogs means you don't get to have a pretty house- if you want a large dog, get used to maroon and/or crappy brown ripstop fabric. 

Also, a better range of coats for larger dogs. Why can't one of my 35kg greyhounds wear a pink, bedazzled singlet that says "Princess"? 90% of the coat choices for larger dogs in pet shops are ripstop dog tableclothes that are shapeless, stiff and ugly. I get most of what I need custom made, just because I want something that looks reasonably nice. Same goes for collars and leashes, really. I don't want studs, skulls, leather or camo, just because I own a large dog.

Just nicer stuff for larger dogs, in general. It's endlessly frustrating to find something I really like for my dogs, only to find out it doesn't come in their size.

I absolutely agree on the larger dog stuff, its so weird and annoying to have to buy a large harness or bed for my clearly quite small dog! And then there is hardly anything much bigger for the medium or large dogs at all :(

Not really the sort of thing I'm after, mostly because the hounds tend to roll off beds like that and very large chunks of foam are not easily washed.
I'm talking about basket-type beds (the sort with high edges), or cave beds. Beds that are warm, soft and can hold extra blankets/bedding in winter. 

I know such things are capable of existing- the Shitty Whippet has two different brands of cave bed (one even converts into a basket bed) and they're both warm, soft and really easy to wash. But both of hers are already size "large" (she weighs a whopping 11.5kg) and the only larger basket beds I've found have all been ugly ripstop fabric.

Not really the sort of thing I'm after, mostly because the hounds tend to roll off beds like that and very large chunks of foam are not easily washed.
I'm talking about basket-type beds (the sort with high edges), or cave beds. Beds that are warm, soft and can hold extra blankets/bedding in winter. 

I know such things are capable of existing- the Shitty Whippet has two different brands of cave bed (one even converts into a basket bed) and they're both warm, soft and really easy to wash. But both of hers are already size "large" (she weighs a whopping 11.5kg) and the only larger basket beds I've found have all been ugly ripstop fabric.

Absolutely - we searched high and low for a good, soft sided, high walled bed for Scottie and he ended up in a large (he was only a 11 kilos). Which meant we could pad it up with extra blankies for warmth. We paid a fair bit for his and you don't see many of them around. Really wish we'd been able to hold onto it. 

Just went looking for it on the petbarn site and can't find anything remotely similar. 

Equally, stuff for small dogs that is actually functional. I had a ridiculous time trying to find a running harness for my 5kg dog. She runs for real, okay? Also, she tugs for real, and we need loooooong tugs because my arms don't drag on the ground. 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2017 at 6:46 PM, Thistle the dog said:

large, extra large and extra extra large jackets and PJs that are actually made for a large dog.

theres a brand that creates large dog clothing and pyjamas/ onesies with built in neck warmers and ankle warmers if that is what you are referring to? your looking for clothes for dogs which sizing isn't found in pet shops ?

• Like 1