Unsettled dog after going to dog boarding

Caitlin888

Hi, 

Yesterday we picked up our nearly 6-month-old puppy from dog boarding, he only stayed for one night but has come home seeming very unsettled. As soon as he walked in the door he drank nearly all his water bowl which I have never seen him. This has made me quite concerned that he hasn't had much to drink or eat because of a new environment. I have noticed when we go on walks he never drinks from public water bowls. He also seems really tired and unsettled.

I also noticed when we picked him up he had very water eyes and some sleep coming out of his eyes. His eyes where also a bit red. Could this possibily be conjuncitivtis?

Would you recommend next time that we send him someone elses house so he gets more attention as I know he is a dog which much prefers the company of people and can be timid around other dogs. 

Thanks. 

Yes, he may have found it stressful and not had much to eat or drink while he was there, poor bub. And he could have picked up conjunctivitis but it could just be irritation from something in the new environment.

He may need a few days to settle back in but try and keep things as normal as possible and he should bounce back quickly. And keep an eye on his eyes (oops that was not intentional!) to make sure they are getting better not worse. I wipe the eye goobers away from my poodle x's eyes with warm damp cotton pads to stop it from drying and matting his fur - if you haven't already been doing that it's a good thing to get him used to accepting without a fuss.

He may do better staying at the home of a pet sitter next time, especially if it is going to be for more than one night, there are some really good ones out there on Pawshake and other pet sitting sites 

• Like 3

One of my dogs doesn't cope well in kennels. He came from the pound and most likely my vet thought he'd been locked somewhere for years, teeth all ground down and muscle wastage plus starvation and ear infections etc.

I have had to board him several times lately and he refuses to eat for them some nights.  I don't have a lot of choice due to some of his behaviour.  A house sitter or dog minder would be better if i could with him.

• Like 1

Thank you Simply Grand we will definitely get him back into his regular routine. And he actually has an appointment with the vet for his regular checkups this week, so I will get her to checkout his eyes. 

I would not send your dog to someone else's place considering your other posts about your dogs naughty behaviours until you have sorted those issues out .

i would say going into kennels was a rude awakening for a pup that is in control of the household .

Some dogs dog board well ,others do very well .Hard to judge on a one night stay as many dogs are unsettled first day until they have a routine .

Did you ask the kennels how he was  ,good kennels will happily inform owners on how there dog settled and any issues.

• Like 4

I always sent my staffy to homestay. He enjoyed it and I found the homes looked after him well. When he got older I would pay someone to come and look after him at home. He was really wobbly and home environment was more comfortable for him by then. With the current two, I'd probably get someone to look after them at home, if not stay here too.

I would not send your dog to someone else's place considering your other posts about your dogs naughty behaviours until you have sorted those issues out .

i would say going into kennels was a rude awakening for a pup that is in control of the household .

Some dogs dog board well ,others do very well .Hard to judge on a one night stay as many dogs are unsettled first day until they have a routine .

Did you ask the kennels how he was  ,good kennels will happily inform owners on how there dog settled and any issues.

He's six months old and has normal six month old puppy issues, not "naughty behaviours" and I doubt he's in control of the household. Caitlin is a first time dog owner who's learning as much the puppy is.

• Like 8

I'd wait until he's fully house trained to go to a lay person's house or have them stay at yours as they may unintentionally reinforce behaviours you don't want.

In the meantime there are some dog trainers who do house/dog sitting at yours or theirs. I posted a couple in your original thread. Just check they use reward-based methods. :)

I think being looked after in a home environment is preferable provided one does all the necessary checks.

I hope your puppy feels better soon.

• Like 1

I am surprised at the number of people liking the above post :( .  

I’m with Simply Grand who said "He's six months old and has normal six month old puppy issues, not "naughty behaviours" and I doubt he's in control of the household. Caitlin is a first time dog owner who's learning as much the puppy is.”  

Calling this puppy “naughty” is like saying a toddler who, while happily playing, accidently knocks something over is naughty.   :(:( 

• Like 8

He is fully house trained and hasn't had any accidents in about 3 months. But he is still occasionally doing some things which we are teaching him not to do. Although I must say he is definitely getting better and I am noticing an improvement by teaching him what is wrong and right. When the next time comes, I may look into a house sitter or if there is boarding kennel which is highly recommended, I may look into that.

• Like 2

My boy hated kennels & wouldn't eat at them - needing to be hand fed when he was there for any length of time. A day isn't a long time, so maybe he just didn't get to settle. 

Hopefully he'll settle back into being home now & maybe in the future a few day trips / visits and even over night stays will help him realize its nice & safe & fun and that you're coming back. 

• Like 2