What to put in Dog first aid kit

I'm thinking of making up a proper first aid kit for the dogs, and was just wondering what kinds of things you all think are worthwhile having. :)

Maybe vet wrap, medicine syringes and any previous medications, a little first aid guide (in case someone else has to look after them), vet's phone numbers, hydrogen peroxide (apparently used to induce vomiting in emergencies?), Benadryl (for allergic reactions? Monty is allergic to bees), asprin (for Scrappi when he gets achy), flea & worm meds, a tick twister, and antibacterial cream. Also maybe a note with the dosages. 

Any opinions on the above? Also what would you add? :) 

You can buy pet first aid kits, so maybe check what they include.

I'd add saline for flushing stuff.

If it's for your car a flat board for transporting a dog in case of injury and maybe a blanket or towel.

A basket muzzle.

An emergency collar and leash.

Copies of important info e.g. microchip, vax/titres, other health info

A space blanket.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2

Gloves

vet wrap

tape

muzzle

Syringe

scissors

tweezers

etc etc 

we use kids phenergan /polaramine liquid absorbs quicker

betadine

The list can go on depending on what the requirements for the outing is ,mind you alot is also in the human first aid kit too

i always carry anti histamines/prednil

Edited by showdog
  • Like 1

Everything already suggested, plus:

Most chemists stock saline in small single use containers (aimed at contact lens wearers). These are invaluable, you just twist off the top and you have 20 or 25ml of easy to use eye flush or wound flush. Keep at least half a dozen in your emergency kit. I also keep a human tear replacement product (look in the dry eye section of your pharmacy) and pop a few drops in the eye after flushing to reduce discomfort. Invaluable for dogs who get sand in their eyes!
Also invaluable are fragrance and alchohol free baby wipes - ten thousand uses, one of which is to clean your own hands before and after administering first aid. And if you can fit in one of those disposable nappy change mats (they are very inexpensive) then you have an instant hygienic surface to pop your dog on while you attend to a wound.

Look what I found! I didn't know that St John's Ambulance did Pet First Aid Kits! And only $25.00! And add your own meds!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just piping up to pass on a great app which might give you some extra ideas too?  Its called First Aid for Pets (Australia) and covers Dogs and Cats.

You tap which animal and then get a big list of problems such as Birthing/Reproductive, Bites & Stings, Breathing problems, Eye problems, Poisons\Toxins and so on.

Under each heading are sub headings where necessary and then clear steps how to deal with the problem as well as causes, clinical signs, and reference material.

You can also link your vet surgery so can easily see numbers and a link to their website along with a GPS map to them.  Its pretty cool!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, disintegratus said:

Chlorhexidine is a surgical grade disinfectant and antiseptic. it's used to sterilise surgical implements, flush wounds , and all sorts of nonsense. It's about $16 for a 500ml bottle from chemist warehouse. Fecking amazing stuff.

Ahh ok good stuff then! I've probably seen it before but didn't know the name. :) 

Is that the stuff that smells reaaallly strong? Like it should be toxic? 

11 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Doesn't smell bad to me. It's in most of Mal's dental stuff (toothpaste, gels and we've used the liquid to flush a tooth). The only product that stinks is his toothpaste but that's because it's gross-to-us, yummy-to-dogs chicken or beef flavour. :vomit:

Oh I thought you meant the disinfectant they use in vet clinics, the stuff I was thinking of smells sort of like metho. Makes you a bit dizzy the smell haha. 

Must be a completely different thing. 

And ugh yes, that fake meat smell is revolting haha :vomit:

The worming chews we use smell so horrid that even Scrappi won't touch them haha. (We have to disguise them to ridiculous extents bahaha) 

• Like 1