Behaviorist Recommendation Geelong

Hi Jaque,

I see some red flags in your other thread so first up please read this and consider seeing a veterinary behaviourist. Some listed here. Either way definitely take your dog to a vet to rule out other illnesses and conditions that can cause or worsen behaviour problems.

Re. trainers, have a look at these lists:

Animal Behaviourists (people with PhDs in behaviour)

Dog/Behavioural Trainers

and generally speaking, Delta and PPGA are good starting points.

One of the issues with the dog training industry is that it's self-regulated, so anyone can call themselves a dog trainer or behaviourist even if they are using outdated pseudoscience and old school techniques known to do harm. So you need to be careful. For example, let's say your dog is barking because he panics when people walk past the door, which I think is likely. Punishing him will worsen this fear and increase the likelihood of him escalating to aggressive behaviour, even if it temporarily suppresses the barking. What you'd need to do is work on desensitising and counter conditioning him to his triggers (aka making them neutral or positive things) and teach and reward relaxation.

And if an anxiety disorder is underpinning these issues, be aware that behaviour modification (training) alone may not be enough in which case a good trainer will know when to refer you on.

I hope this helps and all the best with your dog! :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2