Advice Please doberman

actdog

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the Doberman breed, I have done the research to an extent and looking for advice.

My background - I had a Dingo for 19 years, after that I had an American Red Nose for 16 years unfortunately had to just pass away. I'm not doing this on a whim.

I like the Doberman for its breed quality's as a mate and a protector as have been my others. Please don't bash my views.

I'm looking at importing an overseas dog - docked and ears cut - its just what I would like, whipping tails is not on for me any more. Ears is fine but my other mates ears have always been up and I love the way they look.

Could someone give me advice on a breeder that will help import and costings ?

Advice on a good breeder that will help me and more importantly find a family friend and protector.

Will not be showed (I'm not interested) will be trained, and loved as a member of my family.

Any advice please

Costings I would budget around $8000 plus to import from a country that allows cropping .

As for breeders you will have to find someone willing to run on a puppy until age of export requirements ,I think most countries it's 9 months of age or source an older dog for sale .

Obviously there will be costs to house said puppy till old enough to fly .

You can purchase docked dogs in Australia .

Edited by showdog
  • Like 1

No you can't legally....? 

It's to illegal to dock tails and crop ears in Australia... 

I'm fully aware of the laws ,most are not .

tails can be docked if born kinked,damaged .Breeders  more so in Dobes have pups born in NZ that return to Australia so docked puppies can be purchased here that are legally done with the correct paperwork .

Cropping is not allowed and dogs can not compete in dog sports but can attend an exhibition class ,schutzhund may be different but ANKC no 

• Like 2

I'm fully aware of the laws ,most are not .

tails can be docked if born kinked,damaged .Breeders  more so in Dobes have pups born in NZ that return to Australia so docked puppies can be purchased here that are legally done with the correct paperwork .

Cropping is not allowed and dogs can not compete in dog sports but can attend an exhibition class ,schutzhund may be different but ANKC no 

Do you mean a dog that is docked (whatever the circumstances) can't compete in ANKC dog sports? Just curious

Not sure, but there may have been a young female advertised in the older dogs section?

Docked, not cropped, but could be worth a check.

Importing  a pet for the sake of cropped ears and docked tail alone, to me would  be too  great a risk for the cost.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 2

Do you mean a dog that is docked (whatever the circumstances) can't compete in ANKC dog sports? Just curious

I posted the word cropped ,docked dogs can compete in any dog field .

Dogs cropped in a recognised country can compete in ankc dog sports 

Edited by showdog

Sorry, I wasn't clear on what you meant, hence asking the question

Edited by Simply Grand

Given your background, you might be an appropriate owner for a Belgian Shepherd Malinois, ears are erect so would would not need to put a puppy through the unnecessary pain of ear cropping and tail is similar to the dingo and red-nose that you have already had. The Malinois is, these days, the most commonly used police and armed services breed worldwide but they do require a dedicated owner to keep them on track.

Just a suggestion.

Just curious - you said both of your previous dogs had erect ears. Did you import your red-nose then, as ear cropping has never been permitted in Australia?

Edited by RuralPug
add a thought
  • Like 3

In Victoria, and I assume other States as well, I believe you can only show a dog docked legally in another country IF the dog has not already resided in Victoria. For example I cannot breed or own a dog, send it to the US where it is docked and bring it back to Australia and show it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The costs would be a lot higher then $8000 That would be just the flight as at the age of import (not earlier then 9 months old) the dog would be already over 30kg.

Plus price of the dog, plus quarantine, health testing and of course the cost of someone raising the dog in Europe for that many moths.

Budget about 25K Id say.

Docked dogs are regularly imported from NZ.

Docked dogs can be shown and compete in ANKC sanctioned events, cropped can not , regardless if cropping is legal or not in the country of origin.

I hope that answers most questions and clarifies things.

Re a breeder helping out with import - what do you mean? If the breeder wants to import they will do it themselves and whilst someone might be nice and be willing to help, its a very time consuming process, so most would be reluctant to get involved with the dog that is not going to be theirs.