Excellent Home Looking For Beagle x Cavalier

As the title suggests I have been asked if I know of a Beagle x Cavalier looking for a home. The prospective owners have excellent credentials and live on small acreage. The retired couple have no children and any pets are well and truly part of the family.

If you know of a suitable candidate, please post links here and I can forward the information.

18 minutes ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

Can i ask if it has to be exactly that mix and is it because they have had that mix before?  Seems odd to me.

That particular designer mix is pretty popular I believe. I'm sure you can probably figure out the name or just put "beagle cross cavalier" into google.

or maybe I'm jaded and one of them had that mix as a kid...  

If memory serves me correctly you may be able to save specific searches on PetRescue and have alerts emailed to you. You/they could try a whole string of searches: Beagle, Cavalier, Beagle x, Cavalier x, Beagle x Cavalier, Beagle x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, CKCS, the 'designer' name, etc etc... there are so many combinations when you consider lengthening/shortening CKCS. You might get a hit that way... either that particular mix or another dog that has been mislabeled, purebred or crossed with another breed but happens to suit them. (I kept getting alerts for staffies and greyhounds when searching for a small dog?!)

Sydney Dogs And Cats Home seems to get a greater variety of breeds and crossbreeds than the average pound so they could also monitor their website. Be aware that once a popular breed or crossbreed goes from found to available they tend to get snatched up fast. Ideally be there well before opening on the day a dog becomes available.

If you know what attracts them to this mix you could also suggest other crossbreed rescues or purebred dogs.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

If you know what attracts them to this mix you could also suggest other crossbreed rescues or purebred dogs.

Good suggestion, PK.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

...- but the same breed mixes don't all behave the same and sometimes the byb involved actually can't be sure that's what they are selling.

Oh. What?  You mean designer mixes DON'T just have the best aspects of both parents?  From every add I have read they're 100% guaranteed, always adorable, always well behaved, only inherit the good points of their parents, don't shed and can wash and wax my car and do my tax returns.  You're telling me this is not the case?  </ end sarcasm>

*Also Not taking a dig at you HMD, Just in a mood today :)  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

No problem, exactly right.  I'll never forget the stupid woman that dumped her Jack Russell because it was a complete disaster, too energetic etc only to go to the petshop and get a nice new designer dog.  A Poodle/JRT cross - she told me i've always wanted a Poodle.  Well guess what came out on top?  The JRT of course, she was SO disappointed - I'm sure that one eventually got dumped too.

Sigh.  Turning point for me - the light bulb moment if you will was a vet client we had who'd been sold a Jack Russell pup.  Problem was she was 90 & on a walker.  How that would have ended well is still beyond me. Anyhow... as usual.... I'm :offtopic:

• Like 3

yes my first thought for someone who wants a beagle x cav - is to try to talk them into something else... ie find out what they need, what they think they like about what they asked for and what breeds often have that... along with a bit of explaining about genetics - not guaranteed the best of both worlds - any more than any child has the best of their parents' combined gene pool.

• Like 2

The couple looking for a dog have previously had small dogs, the most recent were papered Pomeranians. I detect a hint of sarcasm in the above posts, but there was no mention of a Beaglier, they simply like the Beagle/ Cavalier crosses they have met because now living on small acreage they think this type of dog will suit their lifestyle and they are impressed with their temperaments. They are knowledgeable about bybers, which is why they have asked me to help find them a dog through rescue channels. They are clients of mine, and I do not consider it fitting to interrogate them as to why they do not wish to source a dog from a registered breeder this time.

A small mixed breed is not out of the question at all, in fact they are very taken by a little dog I spotted in need of assistance at DAS (Canberra Pound), however they are away until 15th June so this individual unfortunately does not fit their time frame as its time is up next Wednesday. However, if this dog is lucky enough to get rescue, then it could well be a candidate for them upon their return.

Their dogs have had wonderful lives and have lived well into old age, late teens in fact; their previous property was well snake proofed and their pets were always cared for by a housesitter whenever they went away. I don't know why this thread has gone off topic with talk of JRTs and Poodles....  The type of dog they would like doesn't seem to come up in rescue all that often, particularly in the Canberra area where there are actually not that many small dogs in rescue at all (9 listed on petrescue). This is my reason for asking, spreading a wider net, not inviting comment on designer breeds. I have already initiated wider searches, but thought I would post here in case there was a dog in foster care or languishing in a pound looking for a great home.

Edited by trifecta
Edited for grammatical error!
  • Like 1

I think you will find they don't come up in rescue  because they a designer dog that holds a hefty pricetag, therefore if people decide they dont want them anymore they sell them to get money. Its the cross's not deemed designer that end up in rescue.

• Like 1

Just for the record I have a beagle x cav, a friend's dog, staying with me here at the moment. She is driving me insane. Hyperactive, noisy squealing all  the time, and she wants to eat my cat. I am counting the hours until she goes home. When she was younger she was an escape artist but she seems to have outgrown that. The only way I can cope is to leave her outside all day and keep the cat inside. Fortunately it is not too cold. She is gorgeous looking though. Here is a photo. 

Agatha.thumb.JPG.c55889b870b1dd886a4ed4ed3480823b.JPG

Edited by sarsplodicus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, juice said:

That beagle , cav has very long legs , looks a tad pointer or foxhoundish . 

I am not sure if you mean my photo or S&M's links but the dog I have staying here with me for a few days is smaller than a beagle probably around 8 or 9 kilos. She is slimly built and not really leggy but very fit as she goes for runs with her owner. I don't doubt that she is a beagle cross cav although of course she is a cross breed and they can come in all shapes and sizes even from the same litter as we all know and probably the parents were not show quality dogs.

• Like 2