When to rug up

What temperature do you put coats on your dogs?

We only used to put a coat on Scrappi (corgi x terrier) a few times a year when it was really cold, but now I'm thinking probably should more often as he is getting older and probably a little arthritic.

Monty is a staffy x and only has a fine smooth coat and seems to get cold quite easily, so the past few mornings I've been putting his coat on (like a horse rug style one from Kmart with weather resistant outside and fleece inside.) 

Today was the first time I've left their coats on while we're at work as it was 3°C this morning. Chilly! 

IMG_3428.PNG

IMG_3429.thumb.PNG.19aa2c1539eb1d19d8e43bad0814f075.PNG

Silly boy is going to melt! haha

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

The Springers....well only if their teeth are literally chattering :laugh: but they do wear Back on Track coats for warm up and cool down prior to training and competing. My Dally wears a coat if it's below about 16C. Here it gets down to single figures a lot. If it is freezing I'll put his coat on for the first part of his walk, take of off for the off leash run and put it back on for the walk home. Right now he has his warmest coat on and is snuggled up in front of the fire. 

• Like 1

I have a double coated breed so hardly ever coat but ever since she's started having muscle aches and more recently injured her illiapsoas, I now coat her at night in winter, mostly with the Back on track coat. It definitely seems to make a difference and has helped her recovery heaps too. Before when I didn't coat she used to curl up into a tight little ball and look positively miserable. Now she doesn't and seems a bit happier but she is a weirdo and will lay in front of the fire for ages.

Edited by silentchild
  • Like 3

I can usually tell by Tempeh being unsettled that she is cold. She has no fur and prefers to be quite warm when she sleeps. So if she is wandering around carrying on at night rather than fast asleep straight after dinner I try a coat on and off to bed she goes. Usually 15 degrees and under is coat weather for her but I don't have a thermometer so let her guide me. Tonight it will get to 10 degrees and I know that means she will need a double coat to stay warm enough. As for Stussy well she has lovely thick fur but will nudge for a coat plus sleep in it under the doona if she feels like it.

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Like 1

My now 11 y.o wore her polar fleece jarmies for night times last winter, and some of the colder days I left them on even though they have full access to the house during the day.  

This Autumn I had a few more pairs made up for her and she wears them night and day now.  Warmer days with some nice sunshine I take them off for an hour or two so she can sun herself (she's black and very good at soaking up the rays!). But I only have to wave them at her and she runs at me and shoves her head in them, so I figure she likes them. :)

Heater is on now and she's less than a foot from the outlet in her pink PJs. 

• Like 3

I don't rug up the Greyhounds at night until it's under about 12 when they are staying outside due to my shift work. As it gets colder I'll put 2 coats on them and have several types and weights so I can mix and max. Inside at night it is usually when it's forecast to be under 10. They are mostly inside during the day so rarely coated but days like today yep I put coats on them this afternoon.

• Like 1

I offer the coats and if they want them they come to get them on. Usually they seem to go around 15degrees and under. I've put a warm blanket on their beds though, so that keeps them warm at the moment. The cocker has a lovely green velvet gown that she likes for winter. I got some beautiful coats on Ebay from the UK last year.

• Like 2

Interestingly, I had to take Sid to the vet yesterday (ear recheck, all clear) and she took his temp and it was low. He was cold. It was about 18 degrees outside. So some dogs definitely feel it more than others and he only has a very fine coat. We came home and put a coat on.

• Like 1

had to resort to the computer.......

This is a lovely waxed cotton we got. Waterproof and a lovely light coat with a nice quality lining.  Definitely waterproof as the westie has sat out in the rain in his to test it out LOL

WP_20170519_004_zpssiplflzl.jpg

The green velvet number seems to be a long cut, hence why we refer to it as her gown :) It measures longer than the advertised size and they sent me a replacement for free, which has turned out to be exactly the same size! So I didn't bother getting another.

WP_20160529_012_zps7hgh2xz6.jpg

WP_20160610_003_zpssj6js8io.jpg

and just because it is one of my favourites........

WP_20150804_003_zpsvatpi8ub.jpg

Edited by karen15
  • Like 7

I'll be honest - I never get why people go for short cute coats that don't cover the butt and thighs of a dog. If I were a dog I'd want as much of me as possible covered and toasty warm! It's a bit like a human wearing a fluffy jumper and bikini bottoms!

13 minutes ago, Little Gifts said:

I'll be honest - I never get why people go for short cute coats that don't cover the butt and thighs of a dog. If I were a dog I'd want as much of me as possible covered and toasty warm! It's a bit like a human wearing a fluffy jumper and bikini bottoms!

What ? like teenage girls, you mean ;) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

In our case it's because there's nothing else around that fits and I suspect it's the same for others: when you get the length the dog positively SWIMS in the coat unless they are overweight or very fluffy.

With Malcolm it is further complicated by his deep chest, itty bitty legs and tendency to tuck his legs into his clothes when he curls up. Combine these things and you have a too short coat that flips up at the back for a crop top look, a dog with no front legs as they're trapped in the coat or a strapless dress if he manages to wriggle them out through the neck!

IMG_3001_zpse7lj4q7v.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

I'm trying to deal with this at the moment. I'm going to make my boy some new coats this winter. He is the first male dog I have had for a while and when we went for a walk with his existing coat he accidentally peed on it due to the size and shape of the coat. So now I have to work out a pattern that will cover his butt enough but have a clear path for his pee stream. I might try to design it so it could be adjusted some way for walks. 

5 minutes ago, *Avanti* said:

I'm trying to deal with this at the moment. I'm going to make my boy some new coats this winter. He is the first male dog I have had for a while and when we went for a walk with his existing coat he accidentally peed on it due to the size and shape of the coat. So now I have to work out a pattern that will cover his butt enough but have a clear path for his pee stream. I might try to design it so it could be adjusted some way for walks. 

Easy to do this with his existing coat - just add velcro (dots for light coats, tape for heavier ones) so that you can turn up the coat at the hem over the back hip(s) and fasten it higher up. When not outdoors the "flap(s)" you created can be un-velcroed and let down again. If the dog always lifts the same leg, you will only need to do a flap on one side. If he likes to mix it up, do both sides.

8 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

Easy to do this with his existing coat - just add velcro (dots for light coats, tape for heavier ones) so that you can turn up the coat at the hem over the back hip(s) and fasten it higher up. When not outdoors the "flap(s)" you created can be un-velcroed and let down again. If the dog always lifts the same leg, you will only need to do a flap on one side. If he likes to mix it up, do both sides.

Yeah I was thinking of doing something like that RuralPug. Today I used safety pins for a temporary measure to turn the back flaps up but can't leave them on as they wouldn't be safe enough for him to lounge around with. It was so cold today and he has a thin coat so really needs a coat now for walks.  And re lifting the one leg, he likes to vary it and sometimes pees with one then turns around and lifts the other.  :laugh: 

• Like 1

I find the belly strap can get in the way for my boy and his peeing. One type of our coats doesn't have a strap, but instead has a chest piece. Velcro's at the neck (fixed on the left side of the neck, and you Velcro the right side closed), goes between front legs and then Velcro's onto the sides. Sort of like a reverse Y. Has the added bonus of keeping chests warm.

this is from the website

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1(4).jpg

ETA these coats weren't expensive. I got them 3 coats for $100-$120 from memory. They're much nicer than the coats I've seen in the shops here. That was why I went online in the first place.

Edited by karen15
  • Like 1