Desexing an older dog

Gabby

I have a 12 year old male jackrussel who hasn't been desexed, we recently got a 2 year old female jack Russell which also hasn't been desexed, I don't plan on breeding them but it's just that my male dog is super tense and horny always and gets crazy jealous and possessive of the female and also of my family, the female can't come over without him getting jealous, as he's always been alone

We were meant to get her desexed but I'm wondering if desexing him would be better to stop the possessiveness he has 

I was wondering if desexing such an old is dangerous, and would it stop him being crazy

thank you

Hi Gabby and welcome to the forums.

I had Henry, my Westie, castrated a couple of months after I bought him (he was nine then) and apart from feeling sore, which is to be expected, he was fine. He has settled down more.

A month before buying Henry I bought bought Saffy, as an older desexed bitch, and they both get along fine.

Unless your bitch has pedigree papers, and is an excellent example of her breed, it would be best to desex her as well, less chance of an 'oops' litter...too many unwanted dogs in rescue already so it's not a good idea to add to it.

There are some members here who can help with managing your dog's competitiveness or you can ask on this Training/Obedience forum as well https://www.dolforums.com.au/forum/9-training-obedience-dog-sports/

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 2

Best to get them both done anyway I think. :) 

I haven't owned a female dog yet, but I know that if you aren't breeding her it's usually best to get them speyed. (Prevents things like mammary tumours & uterus/ovarian tumours. Also if desexed she won't go on heat.(if she's not spayed she could still get pregnant if a neighbours' dog finds out she's on heat of course)) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 1

We've desexed tons of seniors no problem. :)  It does curtail the sexual drive (it can help settle the care factor) but if he's a habitual humper then that can be ingrained behaviour rather than a mating move, although girls usually tell them to get lost if they start that sort of nonsense.

Being possessive is more behavioural than anything else and in my experience the beginner's way to help a dog like that is to repeatedly put him back on the floor if he starts guarding you. 

So if the vet is confident, go for it.  And you could always have the girl done at the same time, it will save you escalated dramas when she comes in season. 

In the end if they still don't get along I'd rehome the female rather than cause a complete upheaval of the male's lifelong homelife. It can be very stressful to senior dogs. 

I forgot to say, if you think he is crazy now, wait until she comes in season. Even a desexed dog can go silly over a female in season! It's that powerful. :D 

Edited by Powerlegs
adding extra
  • Like 3

Oldest I've personally seen was a 13 year old female JRT. The owners brought her in because they thought she had pyo. Turns out, she was pregnant.

Personally, I'd desex both dogs, but if you only have the budget for one, desex the bitch.

• Like 1