New - Embark for breeders

Probably related to the breeder version coming out, I just noticed all dogs have an inbreeding by chromosome section when previously just had the inbreeding coefficient %. and there's a whole bunch of new surveys to do (that contribute to assorted research projects).

I appreciate getting all the new research added onto my dogs account without having to pay extra. I can't wait to have the test done for Thyme. Obviously he will be an ESS and I intend him to be neutered so not for breeding, but it will be interesting to see his results. (of which, regardless of his results, was bought as a happy healthy puppy so wouldnt be taking any unfortunate results to his breeder except as an "FYI" about the breeding)

• Like 1

On 05/06/2017 at 4:42 PM, Thistle the dog said:

they do bulk buying discounts, so if people  get together and bulk buy - you email a service desk and they'll give you your own special discount code. its possible to double up codes, it how i knocked $60 off my purchase.

Cool. 

For the regular tests as well? 

I would be interested in getting Scrappi tested, maybe Monty...

It would be fascinating to find out

their breeds, but also their genetic health results that are included. 

43 minutes ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Cool. 

For the regular tests as well? 

I would be interested in getting Scrappi tested, maybe Monty...

It would be fascinating to find out

their breeds, but also their genetic health results that are included. 

If I recall they sometimes have double dog deals but yeah, if you can get a group of people together with some kind of common goal, they'll give you a discount code. at least, so far thats how it panned out.

i'll be getting thyme done sometime this year. i know his breed obviously, but the genetic health and research contribution is well worth it imo.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Did you find out anything interesting from Thistle re. health?

Yup, handed it over to her vet for further noting:

Alanine Aminotransferase Activity (GPT) - Low Normal

Thistle has one copy of a mutation associated with reduced ALT activity as measured on veterinary blood chemistry panels. Please inform your veterinarian that Thistle has this genotype, as ALT is often used as an indicator of liver health and Thistle is likely to have a lower than average resting ALT activity. As such, an increase in Thistle’s ALT activity could be evidence of liver damage, even if it is within normal limits by standard ALT reference ranges.

She's a carrier of Degenerative Myelopathy (SOD1 Exon 2) - GA

Please note that these mutations are reported to have incomplete penetrance: that is, while a dog with two copies of this mutation has a much greater chance of developing DM than a dog with one copy of the mutation, or none at all, other genetic and environmental factors will also contribute to whether your dog develops DM.

She has tested clear of everything else.

It is unlikely she'll develop DM, but it is good to know the signs to look out for so I can catch it early if she turns out to be one of those carriers who will develop it.

Then there's the interesting things like she's KBKB (dominant black) and Shedding (MC5R) TT (low shedding). Merle isn't in this result yet, hence why it just says she's a black dog genetically.

Her inbreeding coefficient is 3% - and recently got a nice graphical showing the coefficient across all her chromosomes!

She has no diversity in any of the three MHC Class II's, no diversity is associated with some autoimmune issues but not yet scientifically validated.

Nothing else is yet noticeable with her, but I like watching new things get added as research is updated. I also like knowing if she has any genetic predisposition to diseases that might show up later in life. Well worth it, IMO.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Yup, handed it over to her vet for further noting:

Alanine Aminotransferase Activity (GPT) - Low Normal

She's a carrier of Degenerative Myelopathy (SOD1 Exon 2) - GA

She has tested clear of everything else.

It is unlikely she'll develop DM, but it is good to know the signs to look out for so I can catch it early if she turns out to be one of those carriers who will develop it.

Then there's the interesting things like she's KBKB (dominant black) and Shedding (MC5R) TT (low shedding). Merle isn't in this result yet, hence why it just says she's a black dog genetically.

Her inbreeding coefficient is 3% - and recently got a nice graphical showing the coefficient across all her chromosomes!

She has no diversity in any of the three MHC Class II's, no diversity is associated with some autoimmune issues but not yet scientifically validated.

Nothing else is yet noticeable with her, but I like watching new things get added as research is updated. I also like knowing if she has any genetic predisposition to diseases that might show up later in life. Well worth it, IMO.

Thistle this is so interesting! Can you let me know exactly which test you had done to get all this health info? Interested for my pound mutt. 

Edit: Looking at the website I think you did the breeder test for Thistle? 

Edited by melzawelza

@melzawelza just the default embark dna test. it includes testing for 159 (?) genetic diseases, breed markers, some dna markers etc.

the breeder one i think is very similar, except that you also have multiple dog results tab thing where you can do predictive analysis, genetic health of entire lines...that kind of thing and a new section of the website just for breeders and you get a breeder discount

http://try.embarkvet.com/breeders/

• Like 2

On 09/06/2017 at 0:05 PM, melzawelza said:

Thistle this is so interesting! Can you let me know exactly which test you had done to get all this health info? Interested for my pound mutt. 

Edit: Looking at the website I think you did the breeder test for Thistle? 

For mixed breeds you use the original one :) 

I'd love to do the test one day. 

The one for breeders is new and for purebred pedigree dogs that breeders want to breed.

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks guys!! I've wanted to do a mixed breed test for ages but couldn't justify the cost for something that was basically just for interest sake. The fact that this gives you so much health info gives it a lot more value IMO! 

• Like 1