Looking for a dog with certain characteristics

wild_rose

I am thinking about having a dog and I am almost a novice in keeping a dog, but I've had other pets before. I've made a research for several weeks and now I have a list of requirements. I wonder, is there a chance to find such dog, or I want too much?

Weight: 20-35 kg
Temperament: gentle, quiet, lazy couch potato, friendly with a young naughty child
Obedience: should be able to walk on leash, ride in the car and not chew improper things
Environment: we have a backyard about 50 square metres and I suppose the dog will be doing its toileting there. We can do walks/exercises 2-3 times a week. The dog will live mostly inside or both inside/outside. Currently we work from home, so the dog will not be alone most of times, however I want the dog could tolerate staying alone in case of anything changes.

Also I wonder about monthly costs of keeping such dog (not including one-time purchases)?

A Greyhound would fit most of your criteria. If you go to a rescue organisation they should be able to help you find the right dog as the dogs have spent time with a foster carer and they can tell you what they are like. GAP  (Greyhound Adoption Program) of whatever state you are in is a good start. The cost of keeping them greatly depends on what food you feed them. I do recommend feeding grain free dry food as when I changed mine over they looked so much better. A 15kg bag lasts me two weeks, Im feeding two Greys and an ACD, but I also add meat, chicken or fish and bones. Hope this is of some help.

• Like 3

Maybe if you contact a few rescue groups on Petrescue they could help you find a dog suitable for you. :)  

A greyhound might be a good fit...

You would need to walk the dog more often though in my opinion, and it may not be a good idea to have a dog with a naughty little child. You would need to do lots of teaching them about how to act around dogs, and not to climb on them and not to pull tails/ears etc. 

Have a look in your area, there may be a kids class run by RSPCA or similar that teaches kids about how to treat animals safely. 

Good luck, do lots of research and ask lots of questions! :) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty
  • Like 3

The dog will only tick that list based on the effort you put in .

As you have listed an age of an older dog it will still require work to fit into your lifestyle and what you plan to offer it ,You will need to walk daily not a few times a week unless you plan to truly amuse it at home 

• Like 12

:) It's great that you came here for advice/info. 
Research- a never ending  asset!! 

I will give you some more things to read ;) I will also say that a lot of the things you wrote depend on YOU ... having a dog sharing your space  means a LOT of communication between you and your dog ... it also involves you understanding just WHY your dog is doing XYZ  , so you then know how to  manage  things :) 

OK then ... these links are checklists, dogs & children  management , and training.
CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

best of luck :)

• Like 4

You might be lucky to find a dog which meets all your criteria but someone else will have put in training effort to get to that point.  No animal (or child for that matter) is born knowing how to behave, they have to be taught what is acceptable and what isn't.  A young animal allowed to behave poorly or with little direction become an older animal doing the same.

Its good to have a basic understanding of dog behaviour and body language, especially with a young child involved.  A child innocently provoking a dog and anxious body language being missed can lead to avoidable bites.   Also a good understanding and willingness to provide a decent environment for the dog is also important, they need physical AND mental enrichment beyond walks (which are great).  A dog left with nothing to 'do' in its down time can often develop behavioural problems like barking, digging, jumping, running the fence line etc.     Dogs are heaps of fun and fantastic for kids to grow up with, but to avoid yet another dog making its way in to rescue the owner does have to spend time training and caring for their charge :)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Rebanne said:

No to a greyhound with a naughty kid! Wait until the child is older and knows better. No dog should have to put up with a naughty child

Yes, as Rebanne said, you will need to do a lot of work BEFORE you get the dog. You can't have a naughty kid & a dog living together, especially if you don't understand dogs very well yet. Will need to make sure both you & kid (how old? Is it your child?) know about dog body language. Make sure you set the boundaries of what the child can do around the dog.

e.g. So the child knows:

- Don't go near dog while it's eating.

- Don't feed it human food (could accidentally feed poisonous food or at most get a fat sick dog)

and no leaving food wrappers around.

- no climbing on dog/pulling ears/tail/fur etc.

- Dog body language (which is of course very different to human body language. E.g. A dog showing teeth is probably not happy & smiling) 

- (Get a dog crate as a safe spot for the dog to get some peace & quiet) and no-one is allowed to hassle the dog while they are in their crate. It's like the dog's bedroom.

And of course all the other rules :)

When I was a little kid I was scared of dogs, so my parents got me some books about how to act around dogs and dog body language. I used to see a dog and squeal and run away, climbing up the nearest Adult's leg haha. But many dogs would see that as a game of chasies and bigger dogs would try to jump up at me. Now I love dogs! 

I will see if I can find the book or one similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Can-I-Pat-That-Dog/dp/0207198047

Also maybe:

https://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb1029

https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/~/media/files/animal training fact sheets/kids/kids_and_dogs_12_v2_13988.ashx?la=en

• Like 4

"Naughty" can be such a subjective term. I was a naught child but fine around animals. Might be worth having a chat to some breeders & organisations & being very upfront & honest about what "naughty" is in this context.

That said if the child is too young to reason with or unlikely to respect the pet Id wait. 

I would also NOT recommended a cat as someone further up did.

• Like 7

What others say about dogs and kids is to be taken seriously, but all naughty kids aren't the same, and a lot depends on how young.  Has your kid been around dogs much?  Does he or she act sensibly? How old?

Walking a few times a week isn't enough exercise for most dogs, regardless of breed.  

Costs can vary hugely depending on your choices for food, what you do for training, and what veterinary costs you encounter.  Probably not less than $3.00/day, and could easily be double or triple that number.  More if you choose a dog with serious health or behavioral problems.

As for breeds, I'd say there is a reason so many people with young kids get Labradors.  Most are past the chewing and too crazy stage by 2-3 years.  They tend to be super-tolerant, playful, and affectionate...and not nervous.  Many are couch potatoes.  But there's a lot of variation in any breed.  You really want to get to know the temperament of the individual dog.  Get someone who knows a lot about dogs to help you with screening.

• Like 3

My child is almost 5 but he has intellectual problems and autism. He avoids other children but is very happy among animals (we regularly do horse riding and go to the city farm). He hasn't been around dogs much though. My child will never hurt anyone intentionally, but he may not realize that when he does it accidentally. I suppose he can put fingers in dog's ears / nose / mouth or pinch its skin - just to explore, or try to sit on the dog. It may be hard to teach him because of his intellectual problems. But there is some hope that we will manage such behavior - worth to try? It would be good to find a dog that will stay in our home 2-3 days a week to see how it goes, but I still couldn't find anything. I asked in local rescue groups and on gumtree. Can you suggest where else I can search? I live in NSW, Macarthur area. I think a presence of dog can make a positive impact on my child - not 100% sure but why not to try.

• Like 2

It is simply unfair and too risky to expect a dog to put up with what you say your son may do. If you are convinced a dog is the way to go then you need to get a service dog, one specially trained. And you need to start teaching your child to be gentle and respect other's space, which may be difficult. I would be asking your child's Dr or school if they could recommend a service dog organisation to you, that is if they agree it could be a good idea.

• Like 8

I don't really understand why you want a dog ? Because you think it might be good for your son ? 

A dog being subjected to that sort of behaviour will lead a miserable life, and your son may well get bitten when it comes to the end of its tether , 

perhaps you have friends with dogs your son could spend time with and see how he goes ? 

• Like 3

Hello! Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I think it's great that you're asking all these questions before getting a dog. :)

You asked about costs, I found this article from a vet (unsure of the date though) that gives some insight: https://www.lovethatpet.com/dogs/getting-started/basic-costs-of-dog-ownership/

There are dogs who assist children with autism and intellectual differences. Perhaps you could contact Assistance Dogs Australia or mindDog.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, wild_rose said:

My child is almost 5 but he has intellectual problems and autism. He avoids other children but is very happy among animals (we regularly do horse riding and go to the city farm). He hasn't been around dogs much though. My child will never hurt anyone intentionally, but he may not realize that when he does it accidentally. I suppose he can put fingers in dog's ears / nose / mouth or pinch its skin - just to explore, or try to sit on the dog. It may be hard to teach him because of his intellectual problems. But there is some hope that we will manage such behavior - worth to try? It would be good to find a dog that will stay in our home 2-3 days a week to see how it goes, but I still couldn't find anything. I asked in local rescue groups and on gumtree. Can you suggest where else I can search? I live in NSW, Macarthur area. I think a presence of dog can make a positive impact on my child - not 100% sure but why not to try.

I don't think its fair to bring in a dog & see if it will work .simple reality is if the dog bites the child what is the outcome for the dog ??Not a nice one .

But there is some hope that we will manage such behavior You would have to manage the behaviour you have a duty of care to your little one & any dog you bring into a situation that you know will require special care and in all fairness a rescue group also has to be careful about placing any dog that is not suitable for a special needs child into a home .

I agree with Rebanne that talking with his Dr,school & orgs that have a better understanding of your little ones needs in relation to bringing in a dog .If the dog doesn't work out what is your plan??Will your child not get upset if he has a dog then its gone ??
We have sold puppies to people with children with varying special needs but getting a pup was well planned ,the home had been set up with  a good safe zone for the dog & in all cases there where other children in the household who where a part of the dogs life & all had extended families playing a major factor & where part of the puppy process as they all new that getting a dog was not going to be "normal" in there household but where very on board that the dog didn't sign up to be traumatized & that management was very important & extra work .All dogs have settled in well due to having a village support system .
Maybe look at getting chickens .i think you need to source a pet if a must that will fit into the time & effort you want & are prepared to manage

• Like 3

OK. So he is not a naughty boy , he is a special needs boy :)

There are indeed organisations who provide specially trained dogs for those to whom it might be a benefit. I really do think it is sensible to look at that option !! :)

• Like 7