Should I get a one on one dog trainer?

Caitlin888

Hi, 

I have really tried to be persistent in correcting some of my dog's behaviours but am really having trouble. Especially with the barking at random noises outside, scratching at the door to come in and jumping on people and visitors. Do you think a one on one dog trainer would be able to help me learn to solve these issues as they are starting to get really annoying especially the barking and scratching at the door and I can't seem to help it. Would it be worth it or will they not be able to help me correct the issues.

Thanks,

Caitlin

I think it would be a great idea. Getting help from an expert when you are struggling can only help. I think I've read a few of your posts and a trainer may change the way you think about what your dog is doing, and thereby how you respond. I got a ground work trainer for my horse when we had trouble communicating. He was confused and the trainer helped me be clearer, which made everything easier for both of us. It was only a couple of sessions and I knew the trainers' work as he'd trained my other horse before I bought him, that was how we met.

Changing language in yourself from adversarial / fighting to what you want to actually do is a big mind shift. A lot of people blame the animal for being obtuse / stubborn / should know better. A good trainer will show you how to set up for success and change how you view undesired behaviours.

• Like 7

Absolutely. I consult trainers whenever a new problem behaviour pops up and I'm a bit unsure how to deal with it or what the cause is, including such things as my puppy alert barking over nothing or over excited scratching at the doors.

Its good cause they can come to your house and see what is going on and will spot things you might otherwise overlook because you've been stuck with the problem so long. Fresh eyes are helpful!.

Cheers

• Like 4

..in choosing a trainer , please ASK for recommendations on here
 It's generally much better for you and your pup if you stay clear of the big  franchises , and especially avoid those who advertise  guaranteeing results/'Instant' fixes/no problem too large /or with the word "Whisper" in the ad! 

• Like 3

Yes because the trainer trains you and like someone mentioned about your previous posts the should know better option will make you fail each time so a good trainer will train you to understand where your going wrong to set the pup up for success 

• Like 2

I would recommend an in-home trainer, but make sure as Persephone said you get recommendations on here. :)

I feel like they are a brilliant resource & service, just make sure you get the right one that you click with & understand, and ones that don't make you do things you aren't comfortable with.

Positive is best where possible. 

Some family members with good intentions kindly bought me a voucher for an in-home dog trainer for Christmas once, but although the website looked good, and the guy was a reasonably nice bloke, I really DIDN'T like his methods. 

I tried to keep an open mind and try what he said, but after the 3 lessons I haven't done any of it since :(

He seemed like he was going to be a somewhat positive trainer, which he is for obedience, but he considered our problems as "behavioural" so went full on dog whisperer. He poked them in weird spots to get them to settle (it worked though somehow... probably found it uncomfortable?) and used slip collars and corrections :( 

I feel like a slip collar isn't a great idea when we were working on fear-reactivity on walks :( 

So yes, would recommend a one-on-one trainer but just make sure you get the right one :)