Beagle puppy toilet training

Daniellea80

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advice with our 5 month old female beagle puppy. We are having issues with her and toilet training. We are training her like we have we our previous 3 Labradors and they all picked it up quickly but for some reasons the beagle just isn't. We take her out every 30 minutes when she's playing (I'm very paranoid about her going inside as we have a crawling baby) and if I'm there she'll go, however if she's left to go by herself she'll go inside. I have even left the back door open for her and she went inside just infront of the door!! I would love some advice or to know whether this is normal for a beagle as we have never owned one before. I'm finding the whole situation very stressful as I don't think we had some many issues with our labs but the beagle does seem intelligent and sweet but I'm pulling out my hair. Thanks so much

Well I've had every type! My Dally would just stand in the middle of the room and look miserable. My first working Springer was tapping on the door to go out by 9 weeks. Her daughter took until 9 months!!! She was so BUSY (and I was injured) that she would completely forget to pee outside for all her running around. 

Vet check for UTI (common)

Confine to crate, pen or leash indoors when you can't DIRECTLY supervise

Take pup outside on leash

Don't walk around. Stand in one spot. Be boring. 

When pup pees feed HIGH value treats (Beagle so cardboard will be fine :laugh: )

Let the pup run around the yard as another reward

Let pup have SUPERVISED access to the house as another reward

If pup refuses to pee outside then back in the crate. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: 

When she successfully goes outside, what do you do? :)

Hi and thankyou for the reply.

I get excited and tell her she's a good girl and pat and kiss her.

It's the exact same thing we did with all our labs and they caught on quickly

• Like 2

The praise and pats sound great. I would add in some super awesome treats as The Spotted Devil mentioned. This is your chance to bring out the big guns, like BBQ chicken or cheese or kangaroo sausage. Anything high value that she doesn't usually get. Use small pieces but a number of them at a time.

With the Labs you were lucky that praise worked by itself! Most dogs need food rewards too. :)

I will be honest and say Beagles are some of the dirtiest dogs that come into boarding but we also board plenty of clean ones .

Go back to basics ,make sure outside isn't just about toileting but a fun area to want to go out too,

I gather the dog is reliant on you to take it outside aka the door is normally shut unless you decide to leave it open ?If the pup has been trained to rely on you to take it out and you do so on such a rigid schedule your not allowing pup to tell you when it needs to go so it has no concept on what it should do if the door is shut because your doing all the work ,if the door is left open it would have no idea that door open means go outside on your own so it's important to teach outside for the loo but you need to teach the cue to open the door or that going in/out by it self is the right thing too .

What is the plan Lo g term for toilet training ,free access to the door,doggy door ?..

What fun activities does your puppy get to enjoy ?How much outside time does pup get 

Is it going for small walks or outside social outings