grooming tool suggestions please :)

Hi all, new to showing our Brittany pup and learning how to clip his coat for the ring. Been getting great help/tuition from his breeder when we visit them. Wanting to buy our own gear though -but on a bit of a budget being new to it . So far have managed to buy a reasonable set of clippers- Andis AGC Super 2 speed clipper, plus some Wahl Single sided 6.5" Thinners plus a pair of Wahl 5" Straight scissors. Now we are looking into a pair of double sided thinners to do more finer blending/finishing off. Can anyone recommend any reasonable ones not too expensive? Our breeders pair they use are over $400, hoping to spend less. There seems to be less of these type on sites. Thanks in advance for your help. 1f600.png

I used to prepare cockers for the ring and never used clippers - it was all hand and scissor thinning. Of course that was many decades ago and clipper combs are available these days for more than just poodles. I do clip pet cockers these days. I was just blown away a bit by the thought of clipping Brits (which look to have less coat than cockers)  for show  hmmm might be showing my age LOL

Here's a thought - thinning scissors come in all shapes and sizes, why not just start out with a standard pair of double sided (e.g. Wahl 6.5" available from Clipperworld for about $60). The standard type will take a little bit more elbow grease than the super expensive graduated ones, but since you only need to do one dog right now that shouldn't really be an issue for you. In later years, if you have to prepare several at once for showing them maybe you could buy a dearer pair - but I would have thought that you could get excellent ones for around $200 - $250 a pair. $400 seems a tad over the top to me? Just my 2 cents!

• Like 1

The throats are clipped just like Setters,spaniels (have been for over the 30 yrs ive shown)

You don't need double sided thinners ,your single sided do a better job at blending .

Buy a slick n easy stone to stripe the dad coat of the legs & feet ,i always use the stone prior to trimming feet .

Seriously spending $$$$ does not make the finish any better ,Yes cheap crappy ones wont work but it all comes down to how you use the tools so you can spend mega bucks & still do a crappy job .

I use the wahl thinners approx $50 ish ,use the small wahl to do feet although i clip out the pads ,i do spend more on my long scissors for sculpting & the fact some resharpen better but you can do everything on a budget

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...