Turned foot & gut issues....any ideas?

I have a 7mth old that has one foot that turns out more than I would like to see happening in a show dog plus it has always produced a LOT of poos...probably about 5-6 small lots during the day, mainly in the mornings.

I did not breed this particular dog so over the passed months I have had to work through the diet to find one that works best...and that has come down to Wellness dry dogfood mornings and BARF of an evening.  Some dry supposedly premium dog foods made the poos runny & smelly.   I tried about 5 different brands many months ago when the pup was little and Wellness was the only one that produced mainly dry poos.

About a month ago I did try feeding only BARF but it made no difference to the amount or consistency of poos produced plus the pup started to lose weight so I went back to feeding the dry in the mornings and BARF evenings again.

Now I am noticing the turned out foot and I am wondering if there is a problem with calcium uptake???

I am wondering if there is an issue with take up of calcium maybe because the food is passing through the pup somewhat quicker than is normal?

Any thoughts?

if it was my dog I would be at my Bowen person ,stomach muscles which are sore can cause the runs and if the dog is sore turn a foot out but I would also be assessing what I was feeding and options for that dog .

• Like 1

Hmmm, I have had one years ago that had sore stomach.  I couldn't touch her belly area without her growling but this is not the same. 

Not sure what a Bowen person would be able to do in this case.  I have only had one session with a Bowen massage and that was an absolute waste of money.

What breed? 

I'm sure turned feet are probably something to see the vet about if you are concerned.

This is my corgi x terrier rescue... he's always had crazy corgi "ballet" feet. I don't see many purebred corgis of either type with feet this extreme, which is probably a good thing. Funny though (funny weird, not funny haha) he has had issues with his back legs for years, but never have his front legs had issues touch wood. IMG_3887.thumb.PNG.79cbbaa69a9f72c91e04c024c1543565.PNGIMG_3888.thumb.PNG.9c35242f74a17b94e9e0926dce0c7272.PNGIMG_3889.thumb.PNG.b56dc79eec9b954ef5affa5f98b44cf6.PNG

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

3 hours ago, Stitch said:

Hmmm, I have had one years ago that had sore stomach.  I couldn't touch her belly area without her growling but this is not the same. 

Not sure what a Bowen person would be able to do in this case.  I have only had one session with a Bowen massage and that was an absolute waste of money.

Bowen works on muscles so they can do alot & many of the top show ,performance dogs are treated in this manner same as a chiro but if your not a believer than the advice is useless to you ,one treatment will do nothing if there is an issue but yes there are same crappy ones at there the good ones worth every penny .
Stomach muscles play a massive role & if strand do cause the runs & if the dog is sore in there rear can turn a front foot out & for me i always make sure there is no issues like this before i change a diet & risk creating a bigger issue .Could simply be your dog has a crap front but that is something you should be able to tell by movement etc etc

• Like 1

OMG ....My problem pales into insignificance compared to the pictures above.  I saw a SuperVet episode where he did an operation on both front legs of a dog with a problem very similar to the dog in the pictures and the results were amazing.  Made a big difference to the dogs quality of life.

Anyway, back to my dog.   I will enquire about getting a Bowen massage and see what they say.  My experience with Bowen massage was on myself and the massager barely touched me and certainly never helped me....but I will keep an open mind.  My dogs problem is only small at the moment but I want to make sure it doesn't get worse if I can help it.

11 minutes ago, Stitch said:

OMG ....My problem pales into insignificance compared to the pictures above.  I saw a SuperVet episode where he did an operation on both front legs of a dog with a problem very similar to the dog in the pictures and the results were amazing.  Made a big difference to the dogs quality of life.

Thankfully Scrappi has never had any issues with it, and vets have never mentioned anything about trying to fix it etc. :shrug:

Will probably get arthritis in the coming years, he's starting to get old :heart::( 

Good luck with your dog! :)