Advice please on choosing family dog

merricreek

Hi all, I am going around in circles trying to choose a breed of dog for our little family, and hoping for some suggestions. My husband and I work from home so the dog would rarely be alone and we have a 5 year old girl who would love a companion. We live next to Merri Creek in Coburg Victoria with our backyard opening onto a dogs off lead reserve so we don't have any excuses with regard to going for walks! However we do have a fairly busy life so can't be doing hours of walks each day which rules out working breeds. I would have liked to get a rescue dog but after months following all the dogs that come up, they don't seem to be suitable. Would like a small to medium sized dog. Would be keen to do obedience training and intelligence is a must. I grew up with a Labrador and that would be one of my first choices but worried it might be a bit too big and boisterous for my little girl who is a little timid, although if we got a puppy I guess she would get used to it as it grew. Other ideas I've had are Cocker Spaniel or Beagle. Any advice you can give gratefully received!

We get calls all the time from parents saying there under 5 want a dog and reality is they don't care whether they have a dog and there input into the dog is minimal so reality is do you want a dog right now especially when you say your busy and still teaching a toddler .

Intelligience in any dog is all about the effort you put in ,what you need to decide is the type of temperament you want,the grooming requirements you want to deal with,inside/outside dog .

Working from home comes with added training because your dog needs to learn you being home a lot isn't a given so you will need to put the hard work of training dog to be independent and able to cope when your not home or in its own area whilst you work .

The breeds you have listed are all so very different and if your plan is to let the dog off leash then consider which breeds may be better suited Beagles whilst trainable are not the best offleash once they start setting ,

Go to a dog show and see the breeds ,see the sizes,the coat and the natures in public and do a list of things that are a must 

• Like 2

when I look for a dog, I list what I like appearance wise, coat wise, the size (height and max weight) and the temperament I'm after. Then google to get lots of suggestions. Check out what comes up and you'll find you discount some for common reasons and like others for common reasons. Refine your search to get a short list and then check them out in detail re common problems, health issues etc. I found breed standards really helpful for this.

When I settled on a westie it was because I wanted a dog with a square head, solid body around 10 kg mark. I wasn't concerned with coat and I like terriers. I could not have chosen a more perfect dog and he had very big paws to fill.

I have a cocker and I don't think she's typical of the breed, most likely because of her very unsettled early years. I was her fourth home before she was three :( She is quiet and loves a cuddle, but isn't really into playing. After two years with me she instigates play, but only plays for a few minutes vs the westie who keeps on going. 

The westie would probably be too lively for a timid child. A friends daughter has known him from a 2kg pup and even when he was teeny she'd carry on if he got excited. They have a grown up trained Toller, so she wasn't used to a puppy not knowing words. Now she's 5 she's better with him, but I supervise closely.

1 hour ago, showdog said:

We get calls all the time from parents saying there under 5 want a dog and reality is they don't care whether they have a dog and there input into the dog is minimal so reality is do you want a dog right now especially when you say your busy and still teaching a toddler .

A five year old is not a toddler. :confused:

I don't know what breeds to suggest Merricreek but I wish you all the best in your search!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, merricreek said:

Hi all, I am going around in circles trying to choose a breed of dog for our little family, and hoping for some suggestions. My husband and I work from home so the dog would rarely be alone and we have a 5 year old girl who would love a companion. We live next to Merri Creek in Coburg Victoria with our backyard opening onto a dogs off lead reserve so we don't have any excuses with regard to going for walks! However we do have a fairly busy life so can't be doing hours of walks each day which rules out working breeds. I would have liked to get a rescue dog but after months following all the dogs that come up, they don't seem to be suitable. Would like a small to medium sized dog. Would be keen to do obedience training and intelligence is a must. I grew up with a Labrador and that would be one of my first choices but worried it might be a bit too big and boisterous for my little girl who is a little timid, although if we got a puppy I guess she would get used to it as it grew. Other ideas I've had are Cocker Spaniel or Beagle. Any advice you can give gratefully received!

Welcome :) Hope we can be of help. 

i will (as is my wont) give you a bit of homework ..it may touch on things which you've not yet thought of ..and hopefully will help! 

LINK

LINK

LINK

labs are wonderful ..and yes..can be a bit over enthusiastic for the first year or so ! 
Mind you .. obtaining an adult from a breeder/lab rescue /private rehome could be an option :)

• Like 1

Hi welcome to the forum.

My suggestion (if you have definitely decided on getting a dog) is look into cavaliers, bichons and griffons, they all a bit different and need different amounts of grooming however they all tend to have nice soft temperaments and are easily trained, a mini poodle is another possibility but they are a little less tolerant and need a bit more exercise and mental stimulation.

• Like 1

As a companion for a five year old stop looking now. A five year old does not yet have the knowledge to train a dog. I'm hoping that that was just a slip of the tongue so to speak and you a really seeking a dog for the whole family that will work well with a timid five year old. So you will need a sturdy breed, but not a breed that is boisterous in its youth (likely to knock a 5 year old flying) which does rule out most of the gundogs, and many working dogs as well.

I do think that your Beagle suggestion is very likely, except that  Beagles (as are quite a lot of the hounds) are a little bit prone to being distracted by an enticing scent  to excel at obedience - although some have done very well.

I think you could consider a terrier. The Australian Terrier and Jack Russell Terrier are both sturdy and do not need hours of exercise - although they will happily accept it! They do, being intelligent, need a great deal of stimulation to avoid them finding their own, which could lead to bad habits. If you find the right motivation, terriers do well in obedience but it must be the right motivation (often a tug game or a fluffy toy work well as well with praise.)

In addition these sturdy terriers are very often quite long-lived which is always a consideration when choosing a family pet.

• Like 3

Would a beagle be OK in off lead parks as the OP has described ?

21 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

I do think that your Beagle suggestion is very likely, except that  Beagles (as are quite a lot of the hounds) are a little bit prone to being distracted by an enticing scent  to excel at obedience - although some have done very well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm working through the great links suggested too. I regret a bit saying that my 5 year old is timid - she just spent 3 weeks with my sister in law's 3 lurchers in England and they all got on like a house on fire - she was very confident with them and they enjoyed each other's company. Being an only child, whatever dog we have will have a lot of attention and love from her (under supervision of course) and the whole family.

• Like 3

Our friends got a Havanese when their kids were about 5 and 7 and he is a great dog but requires regular clipping. We got a cavalier when my kids were small which was perfect for them, very gentle and adaptive. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, persephone said:

Would a beagle be OK in off lead parks as the OP has described ?

I understand the reason for your question as OP said they were adjacent to an off-leash area - but I didn't assume that they would be walking the dog off leash unless they had full voice control recall.
In my opinion, no dog should ever be walked off leash unless it has reliable recall. As they said that they were keen to do obedience I imagine that this will be enforced. :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, merricreek said:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm working through the great links suggested too. I regret a bit saying that my 5 year old is timid - she just spent 3 weeks with my sister in law's 3 lurchers in England and they all got on like a house on fire - she was very confident with them and they enjoyed each other's company. Being an only child, whatever dog we have will have a lot of attention and love from her (under supervision of course) and the whole family.

This made me laugh :heart: :heart:.  You never can tell what sort of dog someone is going to click with.  Lurcher type dogs are here, too.   

• Like 2

I think it's more importantly the individual dog that you choose as well as the breed. I couldn't go past a lab in your situation. I have five of them and they interact beautifully with my four children. My youngest child is only two and I can have the whole pack out playing with her within any of them knocking her over etc. Of course this has come through training and selecting the temperament that I like. Labs are also one of the breeds that genuinely enjoy children's affections. 

• Like 1

I have a Fauve he is a hound with a hound nose, but if you get one with not so much drive they make wonderful family dogs.

If you get a breeder to pick the dog for your family it could work out well.

My boy Cedro loves children and will go out of his way to meet them. he is gentle and loving.

I recon Basset Fauves make great family pets they are a rarer breed but are becoming more popular now.

They do need grooming if you show them but a good brush weekly if not shown.

They are really wash and wear dogs.

• Like 3

When I was a little girl I was afraid of dogs, and was quite nervous around them til I was about 8yo. Which is weird because now I'm a crazy dog lover haha! 

I know you said she can be a little timid around them, and isn't too scared, but it still would be a good idea to get your little girl some picture books about dog body language and how to behave around dogs etc.

So she can boost her confidence (and excitement) before your new dog comes home :) 

https://www.librarything.com/work/2774161

Probably a bit too grown up:

https://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb1029

I haven't seen this one before but could be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Childrens-book-Learn-Behavior-Collection-ebook/dp/B00BFYGAE0

I think a lab puppy would be too boisterous, our cousins just bought a lab puppy in January and he is exhaustingly boisterous, I'm not sure if most lab puppies are like this though. 

Perhaps you could contact some rescue groups who could find one of their dogs or pups that they know would be fitting, some of the foster carers have their own kids so they know whether or not the dogs are well behaved with kids.

Someone mentioned a corgi... our corgi x was a great dog growing up! My Dad got a corgi x kelpie for his 2nd birthday (that was a while ago... not something I'd recommend) but he was so good with them apparently. 

They do like to herd though... if your daughter and her friends like running around and squealing, or if they try to run away in fright, a corgi will chase them. 

Terriers could be good too! 

Or a sweet laid back staffy, our boy is a big love bug with people.

Whichever breed, it will need to have been tested with kids (or grow up with yours). You will need to teach it not to jump up or nip if it tries to. Also important to teach your girl not to share food with pup/drop food, and teach the dog not to steal food. (Also 'leave it') 

When you're little, you're a bit of a target for dogs snatching goodies right out of your hand :) 

• Like 2

On 19/06/2017 at 10:31 AM, merricreek said:

I don't think you could go far wrong with a Labrador or Golden Retriever a good breeder will match you with the right pup for your situation.

Miss 5 will grow quickly too, like  I am finding with my Grandkids.

https://www.selectadogbreed.com/

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 8:09 PM, merricreek said:

someone like this girl ? @merricreek

Bella has lived her whole life with kids and in general is an all 'round lover, she doesn't seem to mind where she gets her cuddles from, as long as she gets them! From babies to teenagers, she loves everyone!

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/551636

Photo of Bella

Bella is 
- Great with social happy dogs 
- Adores children 
- Loves affection and cuddles 
- House trained 
- Has basic obedience

Bella needs 
- Owners dedicated to socialization 
- Owners dedicated to exercise and diet 
- A family environment where she will be an integral part