Grooming fuss

PANDI-GIRL

Hi all my pup is fussy with me holding her feet very gentle, she also makes a fuss with the brush , the only time i can brush her is when she is on 2 leads tied up like at the groomers , is this good to continue with as a routine, when she is on leads , she lets me do anything grooming, i don't want to tip toe around her silly behaviour .:mad

Every day with her is lovely and we love playing games, then she sleeps on my lap, most of the time she is very sweet :)

Try to brush her for just a few minutes every single day - start with just one minute, the next day two minutes, the next day three minutes and son on - give her an enormous reward (whatever she likes best - a special treat, a game, an extra walk just up and down the street) and praise her for being good!  If she struggles, just put her and the brush down and ignore her - no fuss, just ignore. Then try again a little later. Very soon she will be be standing quietly for the brush and looking forward to the treat. 

You can use the same process to get her to stand quietly for the clippers and scissors too.

Most dogs have fairly sensitive feet (except for the actual pads underneath, which are quite tough.) Again it is constant daily handling for a very short time - start with touching her pads while she is relaxed on your lap and praise her for being still. A few seconds on each paw a couple a of times a day, then move gently to touch the top of the paw after she is comfortable with the pads beings touched, then move to holding each paw gently and the final step is gently check between her toes and pads as if checking for burrs etc. It can also help if you want to teach her to shake hands too.
Again, it's introducing a little at a time when she is relaxed, and not moving forward to the next step until she is comfortable and trusting with the step before.

• Like 3

I did similar to what RP said. My boy was fussy about his feet getting handled and the brush.

For feet, I turned it into a game in the morning. He jumps on the bed, I roll him over and tickle him all over. Started with quick holds of the feet, stopping before he could pull them away - that's really important. You need to teach you choose when the foot is let go. As they get better, you hold longer, building the tolerance, then start ru bing between toes etc. These days if he isn't rolled quick enough he runs around my feet and rolls himself LOL

For the brush, I kept it next to the couch and daily, randomly when he jumped up for a cuddle and nap, I'd brush quickly. Only short time at the start building as he got comfortable.

• Like 5

If she is happy to be groomed with the lead then keep going ,don't pander and turn it into a bribe session .

i have coated show dogs ,they are never given treats ,they learn very early about calm behaviour on the table .Reward for my dogs is touch time never food 

If your dog is good for the groomer ask them to show the technique they use .

Keep in mind the tools you use can affect grooming so depending on what brush you are using that can make the dog not want to be brushed .

Grooming here is only done on the table or designated groom spot that is the neutral spot for that job 

• Like 3

unfortunately I don't have the space for dedicated grooming spot, so regular brushing happens on the couch and the grooming table gets set up in the lounge room on grooming afternoon. Would love another room! Desk, treadmill, grooming table and sewing machine could all have a home! I sit here and dream of a small extension at the front of my place, in a space that's just dead space....... Obviously designed by a man. Front external light is right over the front door. Too close for a full size bulb as I discovered when I smashed one on moving in. If it was a foot to the right, there'd be no issue. Lounge didn't even have a light until I replaced the fan and got a light wired in. And then that dead space that is the perfect nook for a treadmill etc It's at the front of the garage and you would have thought they'd at least have a sliding door there so you didn't have to get wet getting inside, but no......

anyway, way off topic LOL

• Like 1

Thanks every one for the reply. 

I have been doing the softly softly routine for months with her feet touching & brushing & treats , she just thinks that I'm not serious,  & she wont  have to stand still ,   unless i restrain her with 2 leads , so that is how it has to be done.

15 hours ago, showdog said:

If she is happy to be groomed with the lead then keep going ,don't pander and turn it into a bribe session .

i have coated show dogs ,they are never given treats ,they learn very early about calm behaviour on the table .Reward for my dogs is touch time never food 

If your dog is good for the groomer ask them to show the technique they use .

Keep in mind the tools you use can affect grooming so depending on what brush you are using that can make the dog not want to be brushed .

Grooming here is only done on the table or designated groom spot that is the neutral spot for that job 

What breed do you own showdog?

use a soft brush instead of patting her ..a nice slow rythym gently down her head/neck  while she is on yr lap/alongside you ... then down her back  once she's realxed and used to this ..may take several sessions . 
Also - when she's relaxed , use the  quick feet touches ..as a game , with rewards . AS SOON as she gives in /stops jerking away ..let her go . 
I LOVE playing with my dogs/feet :) 

• Like 1

Pandi Gundogs but also do full time grooming.

I would suggest making feet touch training not a part of her grooming .If the dog will lay upside down on your lap then make the most of touching the feet ,if the dog is very happy to have you do this then it doesn't have a feet touch issue but a grooming issue

If you are not serious & don't make the dog feel confident it will play up ,grooming is one area we stress to our clients has to be trained as even for a groomer a dog that is a nightmare has a higher risk of injury or groomers refusing to do it .There is no joy in battling a coated breed for 12 plus yrs & it doesn't get better without hard work & then no one wants to brush the dog & it goes down hill from there .

Most go with the softly approach which is fine providing you are educating at the same time & the dogs we see highly food rewarded for grooming are the worse because owners don't reward at the right time & just reward full stop so the dog is being taught bad behaviour is correct as it is rewarded .

Most groomers use a grooming arm although mine are taught to stand ,getting on the grooming table means quality touch time & this is taught from a baby on the table is cuddle time ,chill out time & they learn those values first & foremost ,brushing the top coats is all about pleasure & enjoyment & they learn straight away that being groomed is a high value pleasure .

Plus it takes me many hrs to prep my dogs so i have no plans of it being a fight,hardwork & hard on the body .

Karen you don't need an area just a non slip mat & benchtop ,fold up grooming tables are easy to fold away & makes grooming so much easier & don't wobble  but for most dogs the couch is about a different quality time & people brush them whilst they lay down ,problem is they need to stand for a groomer so again a confusing behaviour is taught ,dogs taught to do both is fine .We can tell the dogs brushed on laps etc etc because we have to retrain them to stand & they often get overwhelmed by this until they learn its okay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showdog said:

grooming table means quality touch time & this is taught from a baby on the table is cuddle time ,chill out time & they learn those values first & foremost ,brushing the top coats is all about pleasure & enjoyment & they learn straight away that being groomed is a high value pleasure .

yes!!!

• Like 1

I groom PANDI  on top of non slip washing machine it's waist height  so no sore back.

I think her grumble & growling is like a human  ( teenager ) not liking the rules, so makes a big fuss, to see if she can get away with it, :)

• Like 1

that sheds some light on the cocker showdog. She is like a puddle on the table, annoying! She had been groomed by groomers before I got her, but just won't stand up by choice. So that has been worked on and she stands now.

The westie is best described as stoic. He is very good and happiest once the clipping (very minimal just feet and ears) and nails are done. I had a groomer friend do the clipping for the first few grooms so he had good experiences and I could see what to do.

I've got a folding table we use for grooming days. They do get a piggy ear afterwards, which is the only time they get those. The westie is done first so he gets time to eat his without the cocker pinching it. He's a sweety and will bring me his "treasure" to look after if he isn't finished by the time she's done.

• Like 3

I bathed & clipped  PANDI  this morning , she behaved quite well for me , only 1 growl , i just looked her in the eyes & growled back , then she was very good.

I would like  people's opinion on the growling back at dogs OR  stopping what your doing because their warning you , 

I thought dogs should do as their told by the owner, to show respect for you.

2 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

I bathed & clipped  PANDI  this morning , she behaved quite well for me , only 1 growl , i just looked her in the eyes & growled back , then she was very good.

I would like  people's opinion on the growling back at dogs OR  stopping what your doing because their warning you , 

I thought dogs should do as their told by the owner, to show respect for you.

I never growl back  ,the fact she behaved would be more a case of respecting you being more firm 

i would go and buy a muzzle and put it on her whilst being groomed if she is predisposed to having a growl 

We use muzzles in the salon as do most groomers ,we actually find with patience and training they rarely need it but we don't stop grooming whilst they growl ,again if you do the dog will soon learn a growl results in a good reward ,no grooming ,the reason why most owners can't groom there dog .

firm but fair handling ,dog needs guidance to what you want ,respect for each other and the groom will be pleasureable 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have been watching youtube videos  of  Dr Sophia Yin  suggested  by   @mowgliandme 

it has helped me understand  fear in dogs & how to change their frame of mind , not keep going if the dog is worried but stop & rub her nose or ears gently, to calm her behavior & change her thinking to a happy place.

I now groom pandi  with no problems calmly , & can even  put  Bows  & Clips  in her hair , I'm so pleased with this result. :)

• Like 3