Joint Supplements

laeral

So my  GSD, Mica, is 10 now and has some arthritis in her hips and spine. She is still very mobile and active though! She receives regular myotherapy treatments through a spinal vet, that has shown tremendous results.

I am on the lookout for a new joint supplement for her as the one we were using i can no longer source. I give her tumeric paste in her feed as an anti inflammatory but would like to ensure she is getting the right supplement to help joint movement and arthritis.

Any recommendations on what other people have found beneficial for their dog would be very welcome!

Rose hip vital has done wonders for one of mine. We got him as a 10 year old (bull arab mix), and I honestly thought based on his condition that we would be lucky to get 6 months out of him. He's put on muscle tone, now has little to no pain, and we've had him for over 2 years now, and going strong!

The others, the rose hip has worked alright, but nothing close to what it's achieved for Coda.

I'm having success with Glyde with one of the other oldies, it seems to work well in conjuction with the rose hip for him.

I buy the rose hip vital equine, it's much cheaper and the only difference is that it contains 98% rose hip, 2% molasses. The dog and people versions are 100% rose hip.

All 4 of the older ones get turmeric paste mixed in with their food too.

Laeral...maybe ask Troy to move this to the Health/Nutrition/Grooming forum.

are you making your own golden paste?

a simple recipe here if you are interested  https://www.davidwolfe.com/turmeric-golden-milk-before-bed/

How to make Golden Paste:
½ cup turmeric powder
1 cup spring water (+ ½ extra if necessary)
1.5 tsp ground black pepper
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
Directions:
 Mix water (1 cup) with turmeric powder in a pan and slowly heat it up and stir for 6-10 minutes until you get a thick paste (add the additional ½ cup water if it is too thick).
    Add black pepper and oil and continue stirring until all the ingredients are fully mixed in together.
    Allow the paste to cool. Store in the refrigerator in a jar for up to 1-2 weeks.
This recipe was developed by Doug English, a veterinarian who has utilized the ancient healing spice in all manner of animals ranging from dogs to cats to the most exotic types like alpacas and even crocodiles.
Why add Black Pepper? It is beneficial to take black pepper with turmeric because it helps the body absorb turmeric.

Edited by Boronia

Yes I probably should have had this in the health section!

I do make up my own golden paste Boronia. The dog and the horses all get some each day!

i will look at trying Glyde as well as the golden paste and she how she goes.

do you get cartrophan or pentosan injections? They're an important part of arthritis management as they help to maintain the remaining cartilage. Cartilage can't be rebuilt, so keeping it as long as possible is the goal. You may or may not see a reduction in pain levels using these, but that is not their job. Pain should be managed with other treatments.

you can also use glucosamine sulphate (my reading suggests this is better absorbed than the hydrochloride - minimal difference, but a difference is a difference) and msm. These help joint fluid.

after that, you are looking at antiinflammatories. A strong one used for horses is devils claw. There's also the standard willow bark, ginger, turmeric etc plus the green lipped muscle types eg technyflex. A herbalist could give you suggestions. Plus fish oil - I found krill oil much better.

Vet prescribed antiinflammatories like metacam / meloxicam I found to be wonderful. Also tramadol at the end for pain management

Edited by karen15

My vet put my 11 year old Westie, Henry (I have only had him 8 months) on monthly Synovan injections, the first few months didn't seem to make much difference but he seems to be happier when going on his walks now. I also give him glucosamine and Pernaease and have started on the golden paste. After hunting about I found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canine-MSM-Chondroitin-Glucosamine-Powder-400gm-Dog-Joint-Arthritis-Dysplasia-/152388783221?hash=item237b144c75

and here's the info on th Synovan  http://www.ceva.com.au/Products/Products-list/SYNOVAN-Injection-for-Dogs

I had also changed his meals from minced turkey necks (I just didn't feel like poking 14kg of necks through the mincer!) to roo mince + a little bit of Taste of the Wild kibble and raw vegie slops, he seems to be doing extra well on that

6 hours ago, karen15 said:

country park herbs seem to have better rates, I use them regularly and they have great service and prices

1kg glucosamine sulphate $60

1kg msm $45

https://countrypark.com.au/product-category/joint-supplements/

Yes, it definitely seems to be more economical but I kinda liked the one I had originally purchased as it included the MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine all in the one packet and was for dogs.

I get my turmeric and rosehip granules from Country Park...they are lovely to deal with

I love 'Joint Performance' for dogs. They make a horse version too :) 

And a course of cartrophen. It's a tiny injection, once a week for four weeks. And really works well with added supplements. 

Couldn't get anyone to eat Golden Paste, it was a mess :laugh: and apparently the human tablet version is waaaay to strong, hundreds of times stronger.

@Boronia I might try the granules if you can just sprinkle them on food without putting them off? 

edit; I just realised you need to activate the tumeric so sprinkling plain granules wouldn't work.

Edited by Powerlegs

3 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

And a course of cartrophen. It's a tiny injection, once a week for four weeks. And really works well with added supplements. 

Couldn't get anyone to eat Golden Paste, it was a mess :laugh: and apparently the human tablet version is waaaay to strong, hundreds of times stronger.

@Boronia I might try the granules if you can just sprinkle them on food without putting them off? 

edit; I just realised you need to activate the tumeric so sprinkling plain granules wouldn't work.

my lot ate the golden paste off the spoon, they thought it was yummy, maybe it was the olive oil I put into it when making it. Perhaps mix it with some mackerel or sardines or just the juice out of the can or mix it with some mince.

19 hours ago, disintegratus said:

The golden paste has worked well for my lot. I didn't really notice a significant improvement, but I certainly notice these days if I take them off it.

I took it along with Scottie for a long while.  I didn't feel like it was helping, until I stopped taking it.  It's pretty good stuff. 

3 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Scottie would drink it in a chicken "broth" (the juice off poached chicken).  Which was only an occasional treat.  Otherwise I'd just pop the serve into one or two balls of beef mince.  Never touched the sides. I'm sure he didn't know it was there.  

I do find it more manageable and (personally more) palatable when it's made on coconut oil Vs olive oil. 

14 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

some more 'feeding turmeric to your dog' info here Powerlegs (maybe adding flax-seed oil instead of olive oil would be tasty for them) http://turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-for-dogs/how-to-feed-turmeric-for-dogs/

Edited by Boronia

• 1 year later...
On 25/06/2017 at 7:30 AM, Boronia said:

My vet put my 11 year old Westie, Henry (I have only had him 8 months) on monthly Synovan injections, the first few months didn't seem to make much difference but he seems to be happier when going on his walks now. I also give him glucosamine and Pernaease and have started on the golden paste. After hunting about I found this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canine-MSM-Chondroitin-Glucosamine-Powder-400gm-Dog-Joint-Arthritis-Dysplasia-/152388783221?hash=item237b144c75

and here's the info on th Synovan  http://www.ceva.com.au/Products/Products-list/SYNOVAN-Injection-for-Dogs

I had also changed his meals from minced turkey necks (I just didn't feel like poking 14kg of necks through the mincer!) to roo mince + a little bit of Taste of the Wild kibble and raw vegie slops, he seems to be doing extra well on that

Just wanted to drop in here and thank @Boronia for this bit of advice, I’d been trawling the forum looking for things to help my husky as he has slowed down a lot with age and arthritis, he hadn’t been getting much relief from pain meds and anti-inflammatories. Started him on the Synovan a few months ago and he is doing much better! Not perfect but he’s much happier and much more comfortable :) 

• Like 1