Meet the very very good dogs who helped search the Grenfell Tower

DogsAndTheMob

As shockwaves from the horror of the Grenfell Tower fire in London continue to be felt around the world, a few unlikely heroes have emerged to capture our hearts.

These are the working dogs who assisted the London Fire Brigade during their search and rescue operation.

They wear tiny heat-proof booties, and their keen noses and low body weight mean they are much better at searching dangerous scenes than their human mates.

Edited to add (before you click the story): I've just looked at the story again, and the expressions in those dogs' eyes tear at my heart.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, The Spotted Devil said:

How fabulous. Those dogs would have no idea of their impact, just doing what they do best. Wow. I hope that I have the privilege to breed such a dog one day.

Yes. I thought of your wonderful working springer spaniels when I saw the photos, TSD.

Are your "crazy dogs" (as you term them in a different thread) also springer spaniels, JRG?

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 2

In reference to another post in this section: How many DOL's  recognise the breed of the brown dog between the labrador and the springer as a working bred  Cocker Spaniel?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JRG said:

In reference to another post in this section: How many DOL's  recognise the breed of the brown dog between the labrador and the springer as a working bred  Cocker Spaniel?

I didn't. I could see that it looked like a cocker spaniel, but I wasn't sure. I'm not sure why it didn't twig, because I have seen films of working cocker spaniels before.

Actually, I have no excuse. Back in the 1940s, my uncle bought my then-teenage mother a cocker spaniel puppy from a top Victorian show kennels. Judging by photos, that dog, and the cocker spaniels she had afterwards, were much more like the working cocker spaniel in the article than today's show dogs.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

41 minutes ago, JRG said:

I did! :) 

Probably only really from watching "Send In The Dogs" though :laugh:

(the police dog show) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

In a number of US states, there are very active SAR groups which have civilian dog-handler teams trained for a variety of SAR activities.   I 'knew' a girl in Texas whose working line BC was trained as a cadaver dog.   She was a member of one of the many civilian SAR teams deployed for cadaver searches after Hurricane Katrina.  The civilian teams were deployed for just a week, partly because of the psychological stress on dogs and handlers, but also, in that case, for health reasons.   Pretty sure there were civilian SAR teams deployed in the Worl Trade Centre towers.   Amazing dogs and people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tassie said:

In a number of US states, there are very active SAR groups which have civilian dog-handler teams trained for a variety of SAR activities.   I 'knew' a girl in Texas whose working line BC was trained as a cadaver dog.   She was a member of one of the many civilian SAR teams deployed for cadaver searches after Hurricane Katrina.  The civilian teams were deployed for just a week, partly because of the psychological stress on dogs and handlers, but also, in that case, for health reasons.   Pretty sure there were civilian SAR teams deployed in the Worl Trade Centre towers.   Amazing dogs and people.

I have a book called What The Dog Knows, and it is about cadaver dogs and their handlers. The author bought a Shepherd puppy thinking it would be quiet like their old shepherd but it was full of drive so she had to get into sports and she took up cadaver, it was very interesting so far!  I haven't finished it, I got a bit busy and side tracked :(

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 1:41 PM, DogsAndTheMob said:

As shockwaves from the horror of the Grenfell Tower fire in London continue to be felt around the world, a few unlikely heroes have emerged to capture our hearts.

These are the working dogs who assisted the London Fire Brigade during their search and rescue operation.

They wear tiny heat-proof booties, and their keen noses and low body weight mean they are much better at searching dangerous scenes than their human mates.

Edited to add (before you click the story): I've just looked at the story again, and the expressions in those dogs' eyes tear at my heart.

Wow! Kudos to these amazing dogs! They might have no idea of their impact to our lives but may they feel appreciated. Warm hugs for them!

• 3 months later...