Saw gumtree ad - Reg Pedigree staffy need new home - contact breeder?

Hi all,

just saw an ad pop up from Gumtree, there is someone rehoming their staffy. Purebred ANKC registered etc. 

Owner is moving & rehoming dog and has put the kennel name on the listing (not sure if I should say it on here, am I allowed to??)

Just thinking should I advise the owner to contact the breeder? 

I found the breeder on DOL and they breed staffords and French bulldogs.

Owners are giving it away for free, and I know the general advice that DOLers give to those needing to rehome is to contact the breeder, but I'm not sure if the breeder is a particularly good option?  :shrug:

6 hours ago, mita said:

S & M,  did the ad say if the staffy was desexed?   Good suggestions you messaged the give-away owners.  Onya for caring.

I can't remember but they've taken the ad off now. 

They didn't know DOL even existed and they didn't know they had those options so they were grateful for the info :)

I'm always on the lookout to help dogs haha! 

• Like 5

Just a comment on the advice to people rehoming their dogs that I keep seeing crop up - to try and get rescues to take on their dog. 

I don't understand this suggestion. Rescues are limited in space and focus on dogs in pounds at immediate risk of euthanasia. There is no reason why people can't rehome their own dogs (different if they are on a big time crunch or some sort of urgent situation has come up). We should be encouraging people to take responsibility for their own dogs and do everything in their power to rehome them themselves. Rescue is a last resort and has no space or ability to take on all the dogs in the country that are simply needing to be rehomed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, melzawelza said:

Just a comment on the advice to people rehoming their dogs that I keep seeing crop up - to try and get rescues to take on their dog. 

I don't understand this suggestion. Rescues are limited in space and focus on dogs in pounds at immediate risk of euthanasia. There is no reason why people can't rehome their own dogs (different if they are on a big time crunch or some sort of urgent situation has come up). We should be encouraging people to take responsibility for their own dogs and do everything in their power to rehome them themselves. Rescue is a last resort and has no space or ability to take on all the dogs in the country that are simply needing to be rehomed. 

I agree with that generally.

But in the case of Tibetan Spaniels, we try to steer owners to the tibbie community because they'll reach people who are familiar with the breed & rehome with someone there (with full responsibility for who they choose).  There's often tibbie owners looking out for a companion for their present pet.   In fact, several have responded to that latest ad.   The relinquishing owner was delighted when tibbie community mods contacted her & said they'd spread the word among members.

A tibbie personality is not for everyone so it can help to go to someone experienced.   There's also a red flag if the tibbie is not yet desexed.  Small attractive breeds can attract people with 'commercial' interests.

Another area where people can be helped to rehome their own dog,  is providing tips for how to do that best and most safely.   Even if experienced rescue doesn't take the dog, their advice about that can be valuable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mita said:

I agree with that generally.

But in the case of Tibetan Spaniels, we try to steer owners to the tibbie community because they'll reach people who are familiar with the breed & rehome with someone there (with full responsibility for who they choose).  There's often tibbie owners looking out for a companion for their present pet.   In fact, several have responded to that latest ad.   The relinquishing owner was delighted when tibbie community mods contacted her & said they'd spread the word among members.

A tibbie personality is not for everyone so it can help to go to someone experienced.   There's also a red flag if the tibbie is not yet desexed.  Small attractive breeds can attract people with 'commercial' interests.

Another area where people can be helped to rehome their own dog,  is providing tips for how to do that best and most safely.   Even if experienced rescue doesn't take the dog, their advice about that can be valuable. 

No issues at all for what you're describing there - if you've got a breed-specific community then absolutely makes sense to advertise the dog for rehoming to those who are probably most likely to want it as well as the wider community. But that's different to asking a Tibbie rescue to take on every single pet Tibbie in the country that already has a current owner trying to rehome it themselves.

I know the suggestion from people often comes from a good place of wanting a rescue to find the dog a 'good home' but the reality is pet owners can do just that themselves without burdening rescue groups and taking resources away from dogs at immediate risk of euthanasia, especially if information is provided to help them with that like you said, Mita.  

Edited by melzawelza