Japanese Spitz De-Sexing

bballj

Hi everyone,

Just thought id get some advice. We had our dog desexed on Monday (9 month old Japanese Spitz X), came home lethargic and very tired which is very normal from what I have read. Dog has slept in our bedroom last two nights so we could keep an eye on her, had to have a cone on as she keeps licking the stiches.

My question is this, how long is it generally before they go back to their normal selves, I searched numerous topics about desexing and most people said after 24 hours the dog was back to normal. My dog is doing things I have never seen before, literally lying on our heads when we are in bed, if we walk around the house will be at our heels the whole time and if we sit, she will sit inbetween our legs and just stare into space. Normally she is energetic and always going... it seems she needs to be around us all the time, she also won't listen to commands that she would normally listen to, the basics, come here, sit, drop etc and treats aren't even winning her over. As I write this she is sitting under my chair doing nothing, she has never done this before, usually would sit on the couch and look at me or just sleep lol. If I walk to the kitchen shes right there at my heels and if I stop walking she will sit inbetween my legs

I just want to know is it normal behaviour and can it take some time before they find their mojo again after Desexing.

Thank you in advance

Hi :) 

You girl is possibly just sticking close as she feels a bit off . The cone can be very off putting as well . It is a very restrictive thing ..
Is she eating OK ? 
Did she get pain relief ?

All dogs are different - some are more stoic- some are more sensitive ... have you tried the commands without cone ? 
Just try & keep things normal .. her routine has changed ....you left her at a place where she  obviously had some odd things done ... and she will certainly feel the stitches - maybe pulling a bit , so she does have reasons to be clingy, I think. 

yes- I've known bitches be speyed - and once the anaesthetic wears off , they are raring to go .... and I've known them to want to be waited on hand & foot!

Edited by persephone

We had our little girl desexed last year and she came home quite miserable. Slept solidly for 24 hours. The next day she was very slow and she didn't seem very happy at all. She is also normally a livewire. When the stitches came out after 8 days the minute we got home and let her back inside she was literally bouncing off the walls. So happy, so playful and so back to normal. We opted not to have the cone as it would have driven her nuts but it was winter so she wore her coat 24/7 and while it was on she didn't even consider licking. Just a week ago she actually had cause for a vet visit and this time had to wear a cone. She was totally not normal. Would just sit and stare into space. Bounced back to normal again once it was off. 

I reckon your little one is clingy because she possibly doesn't want to be left at the vets again  and I suppose she'd just be feeling totally odd. We might have such energetic little fur friends but some are just a bit sensitive . 

• Like 2

I think it's likely the cone as others have suggested! It's really distressing for a lot of dogs. Mine was really rattled by the sound of it banging on doorframes etc and ended up just standing still and not moving as much as possible to avoid it. Different dog. 

• Like 1

The dreaded cone! I've had dogs freeze on the spot. And other dogs who use it as a battering ram. :laugh: You can buy a 'cloud collar' which is like an inflatable ring that stops them reaching the stitches but doesn't give them that lampshade feeling.

In the first few days it's recommended to keep them from bouncing around so if she's nice and quiet, that's actually half your work done.
Some are so bouncy they have to be crated to stop them. It really could be any number of things from anaesthetic to pain medication to feeling delicate but she'll be ok :) In a few days the stitches will begin to dry and feel itchy so she may not like that feeling either but it's all good healing.

Only if the stitches go hot, red and puffy and weepy then that's the time I'd worry. Right now she sounds like a very normal little lady who needs some fussing on. 

• Like 2

Never ever had to use the cone ,if the vet does a good job are dogs are back to normal that day certainly the next .

I agree the cone will be a factor and the most likely went crazy with the clippers where the surgery is .

Ditched the cone if possible ,you can buy an inflatable collar that is far better that stops the dog turning its head 

don't talk to me about going mad with the clippers. My male westie had his belly clipped from ribs to hocks. Gave him clipper burn. Also clipped his entire front leg from elbow to paw. I was furious. Took a year until you couldn't see it. That was a year of being pissed off every single day I saw that leg. Learned from that if my vet isn't available, don't use another one at the same practise! It was a desex of a male dog, not something I thought would be done differently by different vets.......

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have noticed she is slowly coming back to herself, still doing odd little things like pacing around the house for no real reason then just dropping on the floor and lying there, literally just going in circles, isn't eating dry food, just wet food currently, won't touch the dry food.

I only put the cone on her when we are at work and she is by herself or at night when we cant watch her. When we are home with her, she doesn't have the cone on. We ended up getting the inflatable one which she seems to enjoy more and can sleep better with.... I caught her last night outside licking her stiches so cone had to go back on.

Health wise she seems fine, just struggling with certain commands still, I can appreciate the fact she may be a little distraught that we left her at the vets and then this all happened so will give her time of course, I was more concerned as most things I read was that, peoples dogs after desexing were fine after 24 hours.

Thanks again