What colour is this-poodle people

We purchased Hugo as a puppy and on his pedigree it says he's a black, as a puppy I was a little suspicious that this was not the case. His puppy coat had a brown tinge and in photo's his face and eyes were quite easy to see, unlike the black mini and standard we had.

I posted on here in the poodle thread quite some time ago and someone (sorry cant remember who it was) suggested he could be a blue.

We've had quite a few poodles owned and fostered as well as my grooming dogs and only one was a blue and he wasn't a very good example so I haven't had much to do with this colour.

Hugo is nearly three and his colour is slowly clearing, he looks to me like a blue, don't think he's a bad black as his coat is not ticked with white hairs.

What does others think especially those with lots of poodle knowledge.

bluehugo1.thumb.jpg.beda0d27eca9a75ebdec7a499d8ce42d.jpgbluehugo3.thumb.jpg.32115df5870ba06c15d4fb6e8ddb078b.jpgbluehugo2.thumb.jpg.2dcef932623b02577cf6b0075384bacc.jpg

Definitely a poodle person should comment with an opinion! 

I do know that some of the poodle colours are sneaky and are born quite dark and the final colour might not manifest for a couple of years, but I would have thought that by age three he would have finalised colour change.

According to this website if he is blue his hair colour will be mixed at the root but black on the ends.

The other possibility seems to be that he might become a gray.

• Like 1

I know he's not silver I've had silvers before and he's too dark to be grey.

Ive done as much research as I can on blues and it's apparently quite normal for them to clear around three and can still lighten even after that.

I'm trying to get hold of his breeder to ask their opinion, I know he only has red and black in his lines.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Here's a photo of a 4 year old blue male that I had here for a few weeks.  It's a very different colour to your boy Rascalmyshadow.  I wonder if yours is a dark silver and still has a bit of lightning up to do.  I was told they got their true coat at 4.

asha x legs.jpg

Silvers clear earlier than blues, he's not as light as that boy but blues do come in different shades, in the third pic you can see where he is still more black and where he has changed. His tail is the colour of the boy in your pic which is the colour I assume he will eventually be.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Blue can manifest in a zillion shades, from darkest blue black to pale and everywhere in between, my vote is hes a dark blue.  forgot to add, a blue does not have a black nose, its a different shade, paler than black and unmistakably not black. so?  What shade is his nose?

my silver boy had a black nose, a chocolate has a brown nose.

Edited by asal