How to Cope with Loss and Pain

My office mate, Frank surprised us with a news today that one of his puppies died early in the morning. According to him, everything happened so fast - the puppy was cold dead, had trouble breathing, vomited, and gone. Frank was very sad and wasn't able to concentrate with his work. He asked for tips on how to cope - fast and easy. Any suggestions? Thank you.

there is no "fast and easy" way to cope with grief. Frank has probably had his dog for around 15 years. It has been a part of his daily life and it sounds like its passing was sudden and unexpected. Frank is probably in a bit of shock with what has happened. Soon he will register his loss. A 15 year relationship is a loss, regardless of whether it be a human or animal.

• Like 1

We lost our little 9 year old girl 3 months ago and I can definitely say there is no fast or easy way to cope with the loss. We miss her like crazy and some days all I can think of is her. It is a difficult thing to live with. Frank will have good days and bad but just having a close supportive friend will really help him. Just be there for him and encourage him to talk about his little mate. Looking at photos and remembering the good times is all I can suggest and just let him take each day as it comes. My thoughts are with him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zena's mum said:

We lost our little 9 year old girl 3 months ago and I can definitely say there is no fast or easy way to cope with the loss. We miss her like crazy and some days all I can think of is her. It is a difficult thing to live with. Frank will have good days and bad but just having a close supportive friend will really help him. Just be there for him and encourage him to talk about his little mate. Looking at photos and remembering the good times is all I can suggest and just let him take each day as it comes. My thoughts are with him. 

Frank is lucky to have supportive work colleagues.   As with any form of grief, it's probably best to just go with what he seems to need on any given day.  It may help him to share stories of his puppies,   ask him how the others are doing .. it sounds like he had more than the one.  Sounds like you're already doing the important thing .. recognizing that his grief and distress are real, especially when the death came as a shock.

Bless you for caring .. not everyone gets it.

• Like 3

Thank you guys!!! Frank is slowly accepting it. He's started to smile again even though he still talks about his deceased dog from time to time. Yes, he has more dogs left but was simply very sad that his little maltipoo was gone too soon.

• Like 2