Advice on dog breed with limited shedding

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of owning a dog! I've always loved dogs, but never had one growing up for various reasons. But now, having kids of my own, I'd really like them to have a dog in the family as they grow up.

so essentially I'm on the lookout for dog breeds that would suit our family lifestyle and was hoping to get some advice/reccomendations by posting on here.

We have got three kids aged 8, 6 and 4 by the time we plan to get a puppy (next year sometime). We've got a decent sized backyard and access to several nearby parks and ovals. Our lifestyle is fairly busy, with kids and school drop offs, pickups and a few extracurricular activities. But I study part time/work from home and although my husband keeps longish work hours I'm always around so the dog won't be alone for more than a couple of hours at a go. 

What I'm hoping for is a dog that is medium to large in size (rather than miniature or toy size) is very good around young children (who I will constantly remind about appropriate behaviour around the puppy!!) is able to cope with daily 30 minute walks, but we are not a very active family that's say goes jogging daily or even weekly for that matter! In terms of play at home, we have a large grassy garden where the dog can run around with kids and play.

the other critical factor is I'd like to limit the shedding..my youngest tends to have allergies to random things and while he hasn't demonstrated any overt symptoms I'd like to limit the shedding as much as possible, I'm happy to groom regularly, clip etc.

the breed that came to mind for me was a Lagotto.

if anyone can provide some information or advice on whether the Lagotto would suit our family, lifestyle (is it a dog that does well with children, cope with regular decent but not huge exercise, come along for car drives with us for school and activities, cuddle on the couch with the kids and watch tv?  and are they responsive to training etc.. )It would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for your time!

Edited by puppylovefor3

From the little I know, a Lagotto would not be my first choice for a busy family with young children (although some Lagotto folks might be along to give more information.) 

It's hard if you're not sure what your son is allergic to ... often it's saliva rather than hair.   Surprisingly, perhaps the easiest dogs to deal with in terms of shedding, can be the coated dogs, which while they shed, produce "dust mice" .. tumbleweeds of hair that collect in corners and are relatively easy to clean up, as opposed to the short hairs of dogs like Labradors, that have the ability to stick in anywhere and be almost impossible to remove.

In terms of allergic reactions, you might be able to go along to a dog show, have a look at some breeds that appeal, ask about their experience with allergic reactions with the breed, and with the owner's permission, if they're not busy, ask if your son could perhaps touch the dogs  (obviously choosing a time when the owners do not seem too stressed or rushed :)).  Many owners are only too happy to talk about their breed.

You need perhaps to consider grooming requirements too ..  

• Like 2

I wouldn't look at a lagotto for a family with young kids, maybe look into Samoyeds, they tend to have good temperaments, very playful and quite tolerant, they will blow coat twice a year but a comb through every few days and a monthly bath and blow dry and you won't find much hair around.

Edited to add: if you want something a little smaller have a look at Finnish lapphunds, they have a similar coat and would also be suitable for what you are looking for.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

You may find this website interesting - good to see you are doing some research before you choose a puppy.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training

I'd also recommend going to some all breed dog shows and meeting lots of dogs and talking to the breeders about what would meet your needs.

my brother had a staffordshire bull terrier when his kids were born... so the kids grew up with the staffy.   He spent a lot of time teaching it what to do (ie leave) if the kids got too much and it was amazingly tolerant of all sorts of inappropriate behaviour from my brother, his kids and the kitten they got. 

I have a friend with a lagotto that is great with her kids but not so bright with other dogs.   I've found they vary in personality a great deal so you'd have to meet them and choose one from a breeder whose lines you like.   Some are much more tolerant and playful than others.   This can apply to a lot of breeds. 

The ultimate family couch potato dog - is a greyhound...

There is list at the end of this page of non-shedding dogs. 

http://pantonepoodles.com/doodles.htm

• Like 1

anything low shedding generally means grooming salon visits & additional yearly costs  & brushing so it depends if that is something your wanting to do & how much extra you want to spend for grooming ,as a groomer i can tell you not everyone factors in the grooming expense so phone around & see what the going rate is ,yes you can do it yourself but buy the right gear from day 1 & get it done professionally for a year so its trained
As to allergies low shedding doesn't guarantee no reaction & some can react to breeds considered minimal risk & not to others .
I have to say i have seen the two sides to Lagottos too ,the good side is great the bad side enough to say don't get one so like mentioned research your breeder wisely if thats the breed you want .

The problem with visiting a dogshow in this case is the other dogs around will set him off if there is an issue .Ideally in your case making the effort to visit a breeder would be better .

There are numerous option ,not so many in the med to large range that are low shedding but a Portuguese water dog is an option .

You have your Schnauzers,Soft Coated Wheaton ,Kerry Blue that are larger although alot depends on the the amount of training you want to do & ease of each breed fitting into your lifestyle

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for these great tips! I'm so glad I signed up here and posted on this forum. You have given me lots to look into. I'll go have a look at the other breeds you have recommended. I also liked the idea of chatting to the breeders and visiting the dog shows. Just a quick question regarding the dog shows, how do you find out where and when they are locally here in Adelaide? Sorry... Rookie question from someone new to this ..

There's a list of Dogs SA events here

http://www.dogssa.com.au/?page_id=881

This weekend (8th and 9th July) is the state agility titles at Munno Para dog training club on Vincent road Davoran Park or Smithfield plains (if you're using google maps).  There will be heaps of different breeds of dogs and dog obsessed people there you could talk to.

Also this weekend  at SACA / David Roche Park on Cromwell Road Kilburn park - there is the "junior Kennel club show" both Saturday and Sunday.  It will be all breeds - ie all breeds of dogs that have junior handlers ready to compete... and there will be puppies.. and breeders etc.

Always ask when it's convenient to chat about the dogs - ideally you chat to the breeder after they've been in the ring not just before they're going in.   And always get permission before trying to touch any dog.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket
  • Like 1

There are no Lagottos enterede at the shows in Adelaide this weekend ,depending on what breeds you really want to see the breed numbers have been posted for those shows as to what breeds are entered

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread but just wanted to say that we were looking into low shedding dogs too, not much in the medium size group. If you are prepared to go smaller there is more choice such as Havanese or Bichon. My friends have one of each and they are both good with their young kids. We got a poodle but I was interested in obedience. She needs a good daily walk and training. Would a whippet be low shedding? Just a though as they medium sized. 

there will be a lot of farm herding type dogs at the agility but there are also schnauzers and some little dogs and medium dogs, poodles, doberman, dalmatians, boxers (sometimes), tollers, couple of whippet like dogs (italian greyhound, whippet and a grey hound usually)... lots of shelties (they're so cute)... and lots of bitsas - that you won't see at the all breeds shows.  Ie dogs from rescue.

2 hours ago, Chloe08 said:

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread but just wanted to say that we were looking into low shedding dogs too, not much in the medium size group. If you are prepared to go smaller there is more choice such as Havanese or Bichon. My friends have one of each and they are both good with their young kids. We got a poodle but I was interested in obedience. She needs a good daily walk and training. Would a whippet be low shedding? Just a though as they medium sized. 

Congrats on your poodle! I assume a Toy? 
Not everyone is aware that Poodles come in three sizes; Large (Standard), Medium (Miniature) and Tiny (Toy). It is easier I believe to find a child-friendly Standard or Miniature Poodle than a Toy. (Child friendly Toy Poodles certainly do exist but please research your breeder carefully).

I would think that someone considering a Lagotto would also be considering a Standard Poodle - in both cases carefully bred and reared puppies will grow into lovely dogs if given the intensive care and interaction for the first year of their life that you would want a toddler to preschooler child to have - actually this is true of most breeds. :)

To answer @Chloe08: Whippets do shed so you will find hair on the furniture, and being short it adheres more firmly and gets "into stuff" more so than silky hair but they certainly do not shed as heavily as the double coated short haired breeds such as Labs and Pugs.

• Like 1

If you decide to consider a poodle be very careful about which breeder you chose, we have had all three sizes over the last 20 years, we've also rescued and only a few have been tolerant with kids. The standards we're definitely better than the toys and mini's but our male was very rough and our female was very gentle with our kids but hated other people's,

they also had very high prey drive and needed a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.

Thanks so much everyone, that is some really splendid advice. I was thinking of going to the show this Sunday and just see as this would be my first time (exciting!) ...I must say I hadn't considered poodles as I had heard a few people in the past query the child friendly aspect..but as you say will now consider standard. I'm sure whatever breed it is,the first year would be critical to commit as much time as possible for training, interaction etc. that's why I was waiting till my youngest is at least 4, Then I can focus on my new canine baby! 

On another note, do you have any experience on the kid friendly aspects of the water spaniels that are also meant to have the low shedding coat property? That's another one I was looking into.

thanks so much once again :) joining this forum was the best decision..

• Like 1

Water Spaniels? To get one you will need good luck and a lot of patience because they are not very common in this country at all.

Looking at the latest ANKC registration statistics that I can find: (link is here)

In the entire year of 2015 for the entirety of Australia the total number registered (i.e. born or imported) is as follows:

Irish Water Spaniel total new registrations: 10  

Chesapeake Bay Retriever total new registrations: 35 
Portuguese Water Dog total new registrations: 70
Curly Coated Retriever total new registrations: 108  

As for kid friendliness they are not renowned for it, but then nor is the Lagotto or the Poodle. That doesn't mean that you won't end up with a child friendly one provided that you choose your breeder carefully and the dog is raised with care and effort.

Re post above, if you enquiries about and liked the Irish Water Spaniel, it may be worth the wait. I believe there is a breeder in SA 

also, although they weren't what you were enquiringly about, 2 other breeds mentioned there shed a lot, being the Chesapeake Bay and the Curly coat retriever

ive seen a lot of variate in the Portuguese Water Dog in regards to size and temp, but liaising with breeders might be worth the effort

A breed that hasn't been mentioned is the Bedlington Terrier. I think they're ace. Around the size of a Miniature size poodle, they are sturdy little clowns, good learners, and always up for a game with the kids or a romp at the park. Remember the haircut is just that, as with the poodle, a dog like the Bedlington does not have to have the frufru trim. They look quite handsome and practical with an all over utility clip every 8 to 12 weeks, or kept in breed trim, 4 to 6 weekly trim. I've known several as family pets over my grooming career and I really like them, so often overlooked. 

• Like 1

Other breeds worth a mention just for non/low shedding coats, that push into the medium to large range are Polish Lowland Sheepdog, Puli, and Bearded Collie. All of these coats need regular grooming and are best kept to a short utility clip for family life. If  clipped and brushed, the Puli is not much different to keeping a Lagotto coat, so don't let the cords put you off if the breed interests you in size and temperament.