Advice on dog breed with limited shedding

my mum had a standard poodle and she was awesome with kids, so much so se think she saved the life of my friends 3yr old.

Tammie LOVED water, we had a pool,  yet mum and my friend were having a cup of tea and her son began crying, investigation found he and nipped outside when no one was looking and he was at the bottom of the stairs.

tammie was standing beside him, mum thought he was afraid of her so told her to go inside.

not long later he began crying again, but still no idea why.although tammy was beside him again.

so mum and marilyn decided to watch from a window.  soon as he thought they had gone he headed straight for the pool. it was an above ground and mum had removed the stairs.  but he had stacked things against the side they had not noticed. he began to climb his makshift ladder and tammie came running, took his arm in her mouth and led him back to the stairs and he began crying.

tammie got so many hugs she was thrilled to bits, as for tony he got a talking to and a smack (child abuse was rife in those days) 

its decades now but we are still amazed tammie didnt just jump in with him but somehow knew he should not go in and saved him from am almost sure drowning as he had not learnt to swim

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, adamsNancy said:

Stray dogs are actually good because they don't shed much since they are not breed for specific traits.

1 minute ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Soooo not true. :laugh: 

But welcome to the forum. :)

Ekk!  My pound puppy clearly missed that memo.  3 months on and I'm still finding dog hair and I've had the carpets cleaned!

But as PK says - welcome to the forum. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

Ekk!  My pound puppy clearly missed that memo.  3 months on and I'm still finding dog hair and I've had the carpets cleaned!

Mine missed the memo too. He sheds bucket loads year round and truck loads in Spring and Autumn!

:) thank you...that's definitely something to keep in mind! ;) 

What are your thoughts on soft coated wheaten terriers? Is my understanding that they don't shed correct or am I off the mark...? I've also heard they're a good family pet..there is an Adelaide breeder for them I think.

As mentioned I think it will be tricky to find Adelaide breeders for the water spaniels..I've had a look and there are hardly any. 

1 hour ago, puppylovefor3 said:

:) thank you...that's definitely something to keep in mind! ;) 

What are your thoughts on soft coated wheaten terriers? Is my understanding that they don't shed correct or am I off the mark...? I've also heard they're a good family pet..there is an Adelaide breeder for them I think.

As mentioned I think it will be tricky to find Adelaide breeders for the water spaniels..I've had a look and there are hardly any. 

The wheaten probably ticks more of your boxes than the Lagotto or Poodle! :)

If you meet this breed and like them then it could well be the breed for you! OMG a quick look at the Dogzonline breeder listings shows a breeder in Murray Bridge with a current litter ... 

• Like 1

That's great to know :) I noticed that in the breeder listings too!  I wonder if this breeder or the other SA listed breeder for the wheaten will be there at the dog show this weekend. If I don't see them there I'll contact the breeder and go look. 

If your interested in Irish Water Spaniels there is an excellent breeder in Adelaide who would certainly be able to talk about the breed.

Soft Coats we have boarded a few and never had any issues with them ,yes there terriers but many excel in obedience 

Thanks for that info. Went to the dog show today, spoke to a breeder about the schnauzer... But could not find the wheaten around. Still haven't closed the Lagotto avenue off, I've contacted the SA breeders for them but haven't heard back from them. Is there a way to find out if Lagottos are part of any upcoming events through dogssa? Or would the Royal Show in September be the best bet? Thank you :) 

Is there a way to find out if Lagottos are part of any upcoming events through dogssa?

You could phone them up and ask how to find out.   The club hosting the shows probably doesn't know until a couple of days before the show - ie people enter about a week or two (for agility) before the event, and then the hosts put together a catalog listing all the entries so for conformation (show dogs) that would probably include breed.  

Dogs SA could probably advise what shows are most likely to have the breeds you want to see but won't be sure if any are actually entered.  phone 8:30am to 4:30am 8260 2412

Royal show is a great idea but only some breeds are on each day ie you need to find out what day and roughly what time the breed you want will be on.

Also at Wayville from time to time are "pet expos" or "animal expos"  run by kjex.   Costs a few bucks to get in but last time I was there - they did have a "lagotto" stand.  And border terriers and dances with dogs...  and a few others but it might have been about 6 different dog breeds - not many compared to the royal show or the average SACA show.

Be patient and persistent contacting breeders - some of them don't check their email all that often, some are so bombarded by tyre kickers and scammers they give up responding to all enquiries.

This post is about buying a puppy from the breeder's POV - not a lagotto breeder and not australian but gives some clues about how best to approach a breeder of what you want and why.
https://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

Here is the judging schedule for the Royal Adelaide Show.  You need to file through and check what breeds of your interest are on what day. Unlike other shows, the dogs must be kept at the venue all day, even after their judging is complete, in the aim of letting the general public get access to seeing the dogs and meeting their people. 

Just because a breed is listed, doesn't guarantee entires, or entries that will show up, but the Royal is one of the best venues to meet breeds of lesser numbers, as interstate dogs often attend. 

Royal show dog judging schedule

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the information regarding the Royal Show and the judging schedule. I'll have a careful look through to work out which day/days are best to attend. I'm also going to give DogsSA a call to see if they can advice me of any potential shows where I could meet the Lagotto breeder. I think for now we've narrowed it down to either Lagotto or Soft coated Wheaten terrier.

My husband was seriously researching the Portugese Water Dog...but from what I've read it's a breed that requires loads of active physical stimulation -  Apparently two 1 plus hr long walks a day was the info we found on a few of the breeders sites...does anyone have any additional knowledge to share in this regard with either the Lagotto or the Wheaten?

So for now I'll just play the waiting game and hopefully the SA Lagotto breeder will get back to me or I'll try and meet the breeder at one of these shows.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, adamsNancy said:

I'm sorry if I was wrongly informed, since that was what my friend constantly tells me.

No harm done.  But your friend is very, very wrong in this particular case. :)

Mutts are wonderful, but sadly, being "shed free" isn't one of their superpowers. 

• Like 3