A bit of breed advice please

SmokeyR67

Hi all,

I'm about to become semi retired (woo hoo!), and after being dogless for a couple of years it's time for me to bring a couple of pups into my home.

My experience is with GSD's and Labs, but I like all working dogs. I prefer medium to large dogs, not because I don't like small dogs, I'm just the type of guy who loves to give them a big hug, and I'm scared of breaking the littler dogs:)

I'm on a quarter acre, fenced, I like to walk my dogs for about 45 minutes in the morning (taking the dogs for a walk is less about exercise for them, more about sniffing and exploring) and take them to the dog park in the evening (weather permitting). I'd like to train them to compete in obedience, and I'd really like to try tracking.

I'm considering are GSP's, Weimaraners , Irish setters and similar breeds, and I'd love to hear anyones opinions about these dogs (especially from breeders who have litters due this year:) )

Thanks for reading my semi coherent thoughts,

Shane

Edited by SmokeyR67
delete random line

Welcome to the world of retirement, never enough hours in the day to do what is needed and a dogs are a great distraction.

The GSPs' are beautiful dogs our grandson and wife have the most gorgeous boy called Roy and he was easily trained, this grandson's parents, our daughter and husband have the most magnificent Hungarian Viszla, their second, she like the one that has passed are almost human, they love tracking and just being with their people and they found the Viszla easier to train than what their son's dog was, take a look at them here on DOL.

• Like 1

Viszla's are nicknamed "velcro dogs" so if you enjoy hugging your dog that is definitely a breed that will get maximum enjoyment out of it! :laugh:

You will find that most of the hounds, setters and working line spaniels are very different in the way they respond to training than the retrievers and working dogs that you are used to working with. 

The all purpose hunting breeds - GSP (both smooth and wire haired), Weimaraner  and Viszla are the ones that would most easily fit into your plans I believe.

The four setters (Irish, Red and White, English and Gordon) are possibilities, as are the working line spaniels (Field, Brittany etc.) but both types might be more of a challenge for you given your experience with GSDs and Labs.

I suggest you research the all purpose breeds as much as you can, especially contacting the breed clubs for each in this state for dates of club activities where you can meet and assess each breed. There may be characteristic of one breed over another that suit you better, (if more than one breed is equally suitable then well and good - you may be able to source puppies faster) then you can begin your hunt for a breeder. 

One of the things you might want to find out is if a particular breeder has produced successful performance dogs in the fields that interest you. A breeder that has titled their own dogs in obedience, tracking etc. will obviously be very desirable, but don't forget to look at breeders who have produced dogs that others have had performance success with.

Don't forget to also check the Dogs 101 forum here for your breeds to help you know what to look for in a breeder. And if you look in the breed pages for your desired breeds here you will find breeders advertising.

And please be aware that good breeders often have litters pre-sold well in advance - puppies, of course, are not stacked on shelf like furnishings to be available whenever you need one (with the possible exception of puppy farms :( ) You might need to wait for a year or two for the pup of your choice.

Good luck!

• Like 4

I don't often recommend them but I think if you were at all interested in them an Australian Shepherd could work for you. Smaller than a GSD, Lab, Pointers, Weims and Setters but bigger than most Spaniels, and pretty rough and ready. Fairly all purpose, excellent in obedience, very human focused/biddable but with a bit of independent spirit and Shepherd guardian instinct in them. They definitely need lots of mental stimulation and person time

but don't need a full on, full time job like some working breeds.

I believe there are increasing numbers of not so great breeders breeding for colour, popularity etc and that can be at the expense of temperament and health, but there a quite a few excellent breeders around to so if you are interested just make sure you do your research :)

When we were searching for a breed I found that there were very few low sheeding dogs in medium size. If you were prepared to go smaller you have more choice such as the bichon or a Havanese. I have friends with both of these dogs. The Havanese is very cute and playful. We chose a poodle and she requires a good walk every day and ongoing training. Good luck in your search. 

Not sure I would want a GSP if i was about to retire.
Great working potential but way too much energy and drive.
Most of the EPs I have met tend to be similar but less intense so you might as well throw their english cousins in the mix.

Check out Basset Fauve's they can have a lot or a little drive depending on the dog. Wonderful family dogs but also good workers.

Love their people and are tough and fairly bomb proof.

I have two one with a short coat and one with a longer coat.

Have a look in dogs 101 on DOL.

I'd be cautious about GSPs.  As someone else mentioned, they tend to be very high energy, and can be quite loud. They want to RUN more than sniff and poke around.  Why not another Lab?  You will have a wealth of breeders to choose from, and most Labs are good with other dogs, so dog park could be fun.

Also, you might consider a standard poodle...if you don't clip them for show, they look like real dogs :-!

It's often the case that 'working' means high drive.  It sounds like you want a relaxed but intelligent dog.  Or am I misreading? I guess the deciding question is: Agility for fun? Or competitive agility?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated :)

I think you've convinced me that a couple of Viszla's will suit me to a T, and you've reminded me of a young Viszla named Max who I knew in the 90's, he was a funny bugger, friendly and extremely inquisitive, he was great mates with my GSD at the time...They both had the best of intentions, but always managed to make a mess and make us laugh.

Now, the next question is; can anyone recommend a Viszla breeder that will be expecting a litter in the next 6 or so months?

Thanks again,

Shane

• Like 2