Puppy Vet Checks

Amber Griffin

Prices and all details are public on their website, it's about $400 for the first pet? It has its advantages and disadvantages and yes, I'm sure they get their money from me along the way.  It does lock you into using Greencross, but you can cancel at anytime - you just either pay back your discounts, or get a pro-rated refund less cost of services used.  

For me - having made the decision to do this, I'm much more relaxed about whether I should call the vet if I'm a bit worried... I just do.  In the first 6 months, I've had 1 health check on arrival, 2 vaccinations, heartworm vaccinations (20% off and free consult), an emergency afterhours checkup after ingesting inappropriate things, and another one when her eyes were weeping excessively.  I've more than covered my costs and I've still got 6 months in the year. 

I also like the peace of mind that if someone else is looking after my pup - parents, friends, doggy daycare... whatever - then they don't need to worry about taking the dog to the vet if they have a concern, because if it turns out to be nothing, it doesn't cost either of us.

But these things are personal decisions, it's been a good one for me but I'm sure someone who is not quite such a big worrier might see it as less valuable.

As for Greencross buying up other clinics - it's the same as doctors... you choose the individual.  I generally request one specific vet, who came recommended and she's been fantastic, but no doubt as a large chain, they will have their good vets and their less good vets...

In any event - good luck Amber, you're in for a treat with a new puppy (and no doubt some sleepless nights, a chaotic house and a whole new way of approaching your day).  There's a wealth of information here, so you're in the right place!

• Like 1