Breeder Concerns

Amber Griffin

Just another quick thing, I've accidently bought the eukanuba puppy food instead of the "small breed" puppy food, will that be an issue? 

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on crate training? I really don't want to crate her, but I know it may help with her training

The best idea is to feed what the breeder is feeding :) feed that for a few days to help avoid tummy upsets ..then gradually introduce your new food . :)

As for Crate TRAINING ..it can be the BEST idea ever .  It's not just "sticking pup in crate" and leaving them there all day  ..it is a whole training thing  . It is giving the pup/dog somewhere of their own ..it's where they will be sleeping with all their comfy stuff ..it's where they get their special treats & toys ...& where they can be safe when it's not ideal they be wandering/under your feet /ill . :)

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

Definite yes for crate training ... Think of it as teaching your puppy to LOVE their den ... so the very best treats happen in the crate, the meals happen in the crate .... and I suggest that you do some online searching for tips  ... like everything else, start small and work up.   My 19 week old Border Collie loves her crate - travels in one in the car, sleeps in one beside my bed, has meals in one, and after meal naps.

I was just talking with a vet nurse today about how much crate training is worth doing .. it makes the vet staff's job so much easier, and means so much less stress, and therefore likely better healing for pets that have to stay in hospital even for a few hours.    Same at a groomers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Amber Griffin said:

Just another quick thing, I've accidently bought the eukanuba puppy food instead of the "small breed" puppy food, will that be an issue? 

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on crate training? I really don't want to crate her, but I know it may help with her training

You may be able to return it to the pet shop or exchange it for the right version.

I'd probably crate train if I got a puppy now, makes things a lot easier apparently. 

• Like 1

Another yes for crate training - but definitely make sure you have the right sized crate! I have a toy poodle (13 w/o) who is just a grotty little boy (said with the utmost affection).  He will pee and poo in a big crate (by which I mean the smallest sized wire crate you seem to be able to find easily in Australia) and on anything soft.  But in a sufficiently small air-travel crate (a-la the KMart $22 one) he is slightly less likely to mess himself.  And we have an almost habit of him trotting out of the crate and straight across to the fake grass to do his business.

My older dog just went into the vet recently for her surgery, and they were so relieved that she was happy in a crate because it makes life so difficult.  It also made it easier for me to keep her calm while she recovered from her surgery.

• Like 5

Yes to crate training. My two 3kg dogs have the smallest wire crate available. I bought a divider when they were weenie. They travel in them, sleep in them, relax at shows in them. Best thing ever.

• Like 2

@Amber Griffin

I've found a couple of  Crate Training discussions for you ... and I will also gently remind you , that a teeny fluffball   has all the instincts/behaviours/way of thinking of other dogs - what looks 'cute' in a pup, may just be  annoying/dangerous in a large dog - same behaviour- different way of us looking at it .Even tho she's physically manageable -  She still needs your guidance and boundaries and  education :)

LINK

LINK

• Like 2