under size puppy..problem?

Sharky

Hi We have just adopted a cocker spaniel X cocker spaniel x poodle pup. She is now 8 weeks and only weighs 1.2kg. She is eating well and has put on 300g over the last week. I looked up the normal growth for a cover spaniel and she is suppose to be at least 3kg at 8 weeks. Is this a problem? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Hi Sharky! Welcome to the forum.

You should talk to your vet to see if your dog's weight and growth is a concern. However, it's important to note that you've got yourself a crossbreed... and genes don't splice and dice like may think they do!

I recently heard of a study where they crossed a Cocker Spaniel with a Basenji. Some pups looked like Cockers and had the temperament of Basenjis, some looked like Basenjis and had the temperament of Cockers, and some looked and acted like a mix of the two. It's all a roll of the dice.

So you will need to throw breed standards out the window and follow your vet's advice. Because you don't have a Cocker Spaniel. You have what is reportedly a Cocker Spaniel x Cocker Spaniel x Poodle, and what type of poodle is unknown. Crossbreeds do not breed true to a type!

Make sure the little one is healthy though, ok? Because there is potential for something to be amiss. :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 3

Your pup could have thrown to the poodle and if it was the smallest of the 3 sizes then your pup will be small. You can forget comparing her to a purebred cocker as she isn't. Get her vet checked to make sure she is healthy and be happy to have an individual :)

• Like 2

Most small poodles have considerably less bone substance  than the average cocker, so I wouldn't panic to much with that mix. If your puppy is active, eating enthusiastically, toileting without issue, and putting on weight, then I'd say all is well. You can't really compare your puppy to a cocker puppy of same age, as your puppy is not a cocker puppy. 

Many of the smaller puppies in a litter with thrive and even overtake their litter mates, given time. You don't want to force weight gain on an otherwise healthy puppy. The ones that grow steadily do better than the ones that are forced to grow overly rapidly. 

If you have any concerns raise them at your next vet visit, which at your puppies age, should be in the next few weeks. 

• Like 4