Insurance of hip dysplasia

Imtuzi

We've got a white gsd puppy from a breeder when he is 12weeks, he is playful funny and everything is awsome until we noticed there is a little limp on his foot (5.5months), it is actually an elbow problem but as he is a german shepherd, the vet x-rayed his hips and turns out he has a "light hip dysplasia" on his left leg. And guess what, our insurance is still in the cooldown period. 

The problem to me is we dont know (or think) our dog will have HD when we insure him and we wouldn't even check his hips if he doesn't have an elbow injury cause the hips are working all fine. But now the vet record is there, if he does need a hip surgery for example after 3years old, will the insurance company insure his surgery or reject it beacuse he got a record at 5 months? 

Lots of thanks to any ideas! 

I hope you have contacted the pup's breeder  and let them know of these problems. 

the best answers to your questions about  insurance  would be  found by contacting them :) Just look online, or phone ..don't give them details ..just ask a general question ..and then you'll have the info. 

What results did the pup's mother & father have  in their hip/elbow tests ? 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Really I wouldn't be worried. A local vet is not the best to tell if your pup has a problem. Sure anyone can see the bad ones but a slight problem? Even if there is a problem your dog may never require surgery of any sort. Best to ring your breeder and chat to them and do as Persephone said and ring your insurance company and ask a general question. You can redo the xrays after your dog fully grown, around the 18 month old mark, do hips and elbows, and send them away to be scored. Your breeder should be able to help with where to send them etc. Keep your pup lean as he grows, that will help him grow well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...