Six months in prison for man who trained dogs to hunt, kill wild Australian animals

Only 6 months? If he is capable of that he is capable of harm to humans. At his young age there are plenty more years for his bloodlust to need feeding. A normal person would not be able to hear an animal screaming in fear and pain and get excited over it. Sadly, it wont be the last we hear of him.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been wanting to ask this but I didn't know how to, so please excuse me if I don't make sense. This guy got jail time for setting his hunting dogs on animals, right? How is this any different from people who go out pig hunting with dogs? The dogs chase and hold the pigs.. and by hold I mean grab and latch on.  Is this actually illegal? I know of many people in the Top End who go pig hunting this way... 

I don't agree with animals tearing into other animals for sport/hunting by the way.... But I was just wondering?  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

How is this any different from people who go out pig hunting with dogs? The dogs chase and hold the pigs.. and by hold I mean grab and latch on.  Is this actually illegal?

I THINK it's a very different scenario ... usually , if pig hunting is done correctly .. dogs grab the pig by the ears ..and hold it until the hunter dispatches it quickly  and cleanly with a knife. 
THis form of pig hunting is widely carried out in areas where firearms are not permitted - yes, and also by hoons  , sadly :(
. A couple of  our Koolies  were very clinical and efficient at holding strongly , way back when we were much younger , and pigs were a problem . 

I also did not open the article. 

They are all animals and feral animals did not ask to be born. Their existence is the result of human activity. Hold the responsible humans down and tear them apart. I hate cruelty to animals in any shape or form.

Persephone with respect because I have no personal experience but I think this "if pig hunting is done correctly .. dogs grab the pig by the ears ..and hold it until the hunter dispatches it quickly  and cleanly with a knife. " would also be painful for the pig.

• Like 1

SARS, yes,it is painful, and stressful, but not much else can be done where firearms cannot be used. I believe it is also 'preferable' to the agonising death from 1080, or to being live trapped, then killed. Live trapping is terribly stressful for any wild animal, pigs especially. I won't go into detail.

These animals are wonderful in their own right, they are not where they belong,though. :(

• Like 1

Where feral pigs are concerned the damage they do to the environment and the rate at which they repopulate not to mention once they get full sized there is really nothing that can bring them down does mean they need to be culled. The best and most efficient way is to use dogs, unless people are willing to put up with the massive killing baits do.

So yes I guess the answer would be that it is painful for the pig, and yes while it isn't their fault for being a feral animal I feel we need to look at the over arching damage done I feel the same way for many feral animals.

I know of a farmer who lost a whole harvest of potatoes and spent so much money of fencing only to have it broken down due to feral pigs.

Just in case I get flamed here, I don't actually hunt.

--Lhok

• Like 1

Kaleb Kennedy broke his bail conditions set by the Victorian Court.

He will face court in Victoria once out of custody in NSW.

This persons charges include burglary, theft, various traffic offences and aggravated animal cruelty.

Kaleb Kennedy is the grandson of Les and Linda Murphy.

The Murphy's operated Strathbogie Puppy Factory - google as an interesting read.

Kaleb Kennedy's mother is Jodie Murphy, aka Jodie Knox, owner of Murray River Puppies.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sarsplodicus said:

I also did not open the article. 

They are all animals and feral animals did not ask to be born. Their existence is the result of human activity. Hold the responsible humans down and tear them apart. I hate cruelty to animals in any shape or form.

Persephone with respect because I have no personal experience but I think this "if pig hunting is done correctly .. dogs grab the pig by the ears ..and hold it until the hunter dispatches it quickly  and cleanly with a knife. " would also be painful for the pig.

So is it then hypocritical to denounce live baiting of greyhounds while supporting dogging of pigs? Generally pig dog pups have to be trained to hunt before they are loosed on adult pigs and for that piglets are used. I've only ever come across one NZ site where the young pig dogs are muzzled when being worked on pigs.

By the way, if you really want to see cruelty in pig dogging search on the phrase 'Adu Bagong'.

Hmmm ... there are pig hunters..and there are D!ckheads :( Some piggers have no compassion ...for the pigs, or their dogs. 
Around here , pups are just taken out on hunts with the adults .... let in on the  less dangerous  bits . 
Our Koolies  were certainly never trained on piglets ..YUK. :(:(  ..They just did it .. they knew where the safe spots were .They were never hurt, neither did they do it regularly - but if a pig popped up during sheepwork - it was caught & despatched . 

My Kieran was a pig dog  prospect , dumped because he was  scared... ( thankfully) 

3 hours ago, lillypilly said:

Kaleb Kennedy broke his bail conditions set by the Victorian Court.

He will face court in Victoria once out of custody in NSW.

This persons charges include burglary, theft, various traffic offences and aggravated animal cruelty.

Kaleb Kennedy is the grandson of Les and Linda Murphy.

The Murphy's operated Strathbogie Puppy Factory - google as an interesting read.

Kaleb Kennedy's mother is Jodie Murphy, aka Jodie Knox, owner of Murray River Puppies.

Oh. So it runs in the family. :mad

How on earth can people be so terrible? Obviously they aren't a very nice bunch of people to be around! Also so dangerous to humans w/ regards to burglary & traffic offences. :mad

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Shepparton News

A man who was sent to prison for six months for the abuse of animals has faced another charge while in prison.

Kaleb Kennedy, 21, from Cobram, faced Shepparton Magistrates’ Court via videolink from prison on two charges of receiving stolen goods and handling proceeds of crime. Kennedy pleaded guilty.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Kim Talbot told the court that the bullbar was stolen from a man in Gunnedah in north-eastern NSW in June last year.

Police uncovered the stolen bullbar at Kennedy’s Cobram home during a search 10 days later.

When interviewed, Kennedy told police that he bought the bullbar from a person he met at a rodeo in Tamworth, but when asked he could only remember a first name for the seller.

He was convicted and fined $2500 plus court costs.

Kennedy is serving six months in prison for training his pet dogs to hunt and kill wild animals.

He was sentenced in July for a range of animal cruelty offences in Victoria and Southern NSW during a period of months in 2016.

He is due to be released from prison in December.

At least he got a sentence of sorts.  I am gutted that a Darwin pony was shot to death with a crossbow, and the 17 year old who "turned himself in" was interviewed and released, police have the (illegal) weapon.  And those beautiful little wallabies that were slaughtered in the same way in the same area, wonder if it was the same person. 

• Sad 1