Microchipping Working Dog pups

sheena

I believe that all dogs, whether working dog pups or not have to be microchipped, I have a son living in NSW, he bought a puppy, a xbreed, 17 years ago and even back then it was necessary to have them chipped before sale and the chip was registered with the local council, but it is better to have them registered on a national data base now, over the years in all states it is mandatory to do it.

4 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

I believe that all dogs, whether working dog pups or not have to be microchipped, I have a son living in NSW, he bought a puppy, a xbreed, 17 years ago and even back then it was necessary to have them chipped before sale and the chip was registered with the local council, but it is better to have them registered on a national data base now, over the years in all states it is mandatory to do it.

Yes that is what I thought too.  I think the person selling these pups ( x kelpie x coolie) may be getting it mixed up with Council Registration Requirements.  Impossible to tell some people things. Certainly don't want to start an argument with her :(

According to this  https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/public/dogs-and-cats/information-for-the-community/microchipping-registration

working dogs are exempt from microchipping and registration with the local council

"In NSW, all cats and dogs, other than exempt cats and dogs, must be microchipped by 12 weeks of age or before being sold or given away, whichever happens first".

"If you own a cat born before 1 July 1999 and ownership has not changed, a working dog used for tending stock on a rural property or a greyhound currently registered under the Greyhound Racing Act 2009, you do not need to have it microchipped or registered with your local council. However, it is recommended that you have your cat or dog microchipped for its protection."