Joint supplements reccomendations

I've been thinking of getting some joint supplements for Scrappi, and wanted to ask for some opinions on which type are the best value.

Scrappi is turning 8, and he's a rescue corgi x Terrier with pretty bad turned out front feet. In his younger years he tore both hind cruciate ligaments but he didn't have surgery. Our vet reccomended that we just give him meds & bed rest and he recovered well from that with no issues.

He still runs around like crazy doing zoomies with our younger dog, and runs up the back to bark at/sniff passing by dog walkers. He wrestles with Monty (younger dog) a lot too, they play like puppies. He's still very very fast and he really enjoys playing so I feel like now might be a good time to start on supplements before things actually do get sore. He pulls up sore occasionally and if he does we will give him half an aspirin as the vet suggested. 

Photo is of his feet IMG_4347.thumb.PNG.f6247d8165f33a37111fe6e8e606acf5.PNGIMG_4348.thumb.PNG.d825792180f6a2cd13479123f951911a.PNG

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Not an answer to your question, but have you thought about seeing Dr Jaime Jackson? (Jumabaar on DOL) I wonder if there may be some exercises you could do to help compensate for those legs etc.

No I hadn't thought of that actually, thanks PK :) 

I'm not sure if that would be too helpful with preventing arthritis though would it? But we really should've taken him to do something like that or some sort of physio following the ligament damage. Our vet never recommended it though so we didn't think of it. Doesn't cause him any grief anymore thankfully, but I recall the risk of arthritis goes up a lot in dogs who have damaged the Cruciate ligaments. 

• Like 1

We can't regrow ligaments or give Scrappi new joints but we can work on the muscular support of joints to help minimise progression and help manage symptoms. He is a great candidate for rehab to ensure he gets to have fun and feel amazing as he ages.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jumabaar said:

We can't regrow ligaments or give Scrappi new joints but we can work on the muscular support of joints to help minimise progression and help manage symptoms. He is a great candidate for rehab to ensure he gets to have fun and feel amazing as he ages.

Yep of course :) 

That sounds great thanks PK & Jumabaar, will have to look into it further :) 

Where are you based @Jumabaar ? 

I'm not sure if it's something we can do at the moment though... 

Do either of you use supplements for arthritis? I'd like to put him on something but I know a few of them don't do much and are a bit of a waste of money. :)  

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Would definitely recommend an appointment with Jumabaar if at all possible. She has made a huge difference to my girl after her multiple ortho issues when I had just about lost faith in having her even take a simple walk around the block. We have made huge progress since her input :).

• Like 1

I give mine Canine MSM Chondroitin Glucosamine Powder (they used to supply it in 500g bags) http://stores.ebay.com.au/Health-Within?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

and Pernease powder because I bought some cheap-as from Gumtree

and..

Henry gets monthly injections of Synovan  (http://www.ceva.com.au/Products/Products-list/SYNOVAN-Injection-for-Dogs)

I don't know which one of those three is working but he is a happy little boy and much more supple from when I first bought him in October last year

He also gets Golden paste, I make it myself because it's easy peasy. I buy the turmeric from here https://countrypark.com.au/product/turmeric-powder-1kg/

here is the Golden paste recipe

How to make Golden Paste:

½ cup turmeric powder

1 cup spring water (+ ½ extra if necessary)

1.5 tsp ground black pepper

5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil

Directions:

1. Mix water (1 cup) with turmeric powder in a pan and slowly heat it up and stir for 6-10 minutes until you get a thick paste (add the additional ½ cup water if it is too thick).

2. Add black pepper and oil and continue stirring until all the ingredients are fully mixed in together.

3. Allow the paste to cool. Store in the refrigerator in a jar for up to 1-2 weeks.

This recipe was developed by Doug English, a veterinarian who has utilized the ancient healing spice in all manner of animals ranging from dogs to cats to the most exotic types like alpacas and even crocodiles.

edited to add that if he is on other medications it would pay to join and ask in this group to check if turmeric is compatible, there are a couple of antibiotics that the turmeric inhibits https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/ 

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 1

The best stuff I've ever used fro my oldies is 4cyte.  The difference its currently making to my 16 year old westie Sarah (and me :o) is phenomenal.  I used to use Joint guard for Mac which I thought was good, but I've found 4cyte much better.  So I think a combination of Jumabaar and 4cyte is really worth a go.  (Wish Jumbabaar was in my neck of the woods!)

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 1

Poke westiemum - Jumabaar does visit Adelaide fairly frequently. Her next visit is currently planned for the 5th and 6th of August LOL. She was last here about 2 months ago. Who else do you think I have found to keep my broken dog happy.

Edited by ness
  • Like 1