Pup ears haven't gone fully up

Pink

I have an 8 month old kelpie whose ears havnt fully gone up, only about half way, have decided to tape, what's the best tape to use, every thing lve tried just fully off when he shakes his head

To be honest 8 months is a bit too late to expect much success with ear taping I think.

Its a bit of an art and honestly not something I'd recommend for a novice owner. If your dog is a pet not a show dog, then I'd suggest you just get used to his unique "character ears".  If you really think you want to give taping a go, you probably need to include a stiff structure taped to the ears, and the ears taped up together and around the head to stop it coming off every five seconds. 

Others here might have some pictures and ideas, but I reiterate, I think it's too late. 

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 4

Aww.. half mast  ears :) We have lots with our dogs . They just add character . 13307309_10153745132539007_8784812424272

As Mingaling said ( and she is a very experienced groomer/dog person )  It is NOT something to just "do"  for a beginner ..or to a pup this age . 

The ears might still shift shape - .

• Like 2

My old Uncle used to sort of stick a thick pad of felt into his dogs ears with vasoline to get them to stand upright , but he only did that if they where totally drooped. It also made a great sound when the dog shook it's head and ejected the felt onto the side of the chook shed, kind of like shlump instead of thump.. Sometimes the dog had erect ears, sometimes not, but the chook shed was always well greased

• Like 4

On 15/07/2017 at 4:49 PM, Pink said:

I have an 8 month old kelpie whose ears havnt fully gone up, only about half way, have decided to tape, what's the best tape to use, every thing lve tried just fully off when he shakes his head

Please dont tape them..I believe it to be cruel. Just accept and love him as he is. Im guessing hes probably not a pure bred. 

Are you fully aware of what is involved with taping? Look at some you tube vids.

11 hours ago, jacks4nik said:

Please dont tape them..I believe it to be cruel. Just accept and love him as he is. Im guessing hes probably not a pure bred. 

Are you fully aware of what is involved with taping? Look at some you tube vids.

Can you explain how it is cruel? The tape doesn't hinder the dogs ability to act or behave in a normal way, it does not hinder eating or drinking, playing or sleeping. I also question how you came to the conclusion the dog is not likely to be pure, given that incorrect ear sets are not breed specific and not pedigree specific, but anyway...

Also, the OP asked for advice, not personal opinion. 

I taped my dogs triangle drop ears for 5 months straight, his ear now sits correctly 99% of the time and I didn't start taping until he was 4 months old. I have been told that people have had to tape for up to 12 months and had results at the end, but this is not every dog, every time. It would appear it's luck of the draw. :)
Best of luck! 

Edited by t a i l s.