Desexing at 8 weeks - too young?

Pollypops

So anyway (if Troy could fix the reply box, that'd be great)..

I'd totally agree that it's up to the individual to decide. But in my opinion, what the individual decides, tells you a lot about what they prioritise as a breeder. Breeders clutching their pearls and shouting that they'd never allow their precious babies to be bred from.. it misses so many points and ignores so many bigger issues. But that's their choice. They don't have to defend it if they don't want to, they don't have to read my thoughts on the matter, they are free to do whatever they please. Just as I'm free to strongly disagree with it.  

I get that this opinion is not popular here (shocking!) but :shrug: as I think we've seen a lot lately, the pedigreed dog world is in for a nasty shakeup if attitudes don't step into the current century.

It is entirely acceptable (within the culture) to dock tails, remove dewclaws, breed dogs who are inherently unhealthy, and the apparent lack of care for dogs as a whole (as opposed to just their own) will only make them an even softer target for the AR movement. 

Anyway, not my circus, not my monkeys. My trust in the ethics of the pedigree dog world just gets eroded a bit more.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Maddy said:

So anyway (if Troy could fix the reply box, that'd be great)..

I'd totally agree that it's up to the individual to decide. But in my opinion, what the individual decides, tells you a lot about what they prioritise as a breeder. Breeders clutching their pearls and shouting that they'd never allow their precious babies to be bred from.. it misses so many points and ignores so many bigger issues. But that's their choice. They don't have to defend it if they don't want to, they don't have to read my thoughts on the matter, they are free to do whatever they please. Just as I'm free to strongly disagree with it.  

I get that this opinion is not popular here (shocking!) but :shrug: as I think we've seen a lot lately, the pedigreed dog world is in for a nasty shakeup if attitudes don't step into the current century.

It is entirely acceptable (within the culture) to dock tails, remove dewclaws, breed dogs who are inherently unhealthy, and the apparent lack of care for dogs as a whole (as opposed to just their own) will only make them an even softer target for the AR movement. 

Anyway, not my circus, not my monkeys. My trust in the ethics of the pedigree dog world just gets eroded a bit more.

I found out how to delete your quote (I think).

Just leave your quote as it is and go to another forum, then come back and go to the bottom of the last post and click the 'Reply to this Topic' box. That box will open with your reply and there is an option to 'remove'

Edited by Boronia

51 minutes ago, moosmum said:

I can understand why some breeders desex early, but it would be a deal breaker for me too.

Seems in some cases, it might mean more responsible buyers go else where?

I agree with this, and I would actually be one of those buyers who go else where. 

• Like 2

And then there is SA where the laws have been changed requiring desexing before sale :( Can be delayed with a vet certificate and I will be vet shopping if mine doesn't think an exemption is required.

Having said that, I can absolutely understand why some breeders, especially of popular breeds used in designer crosses take this course of action. And while it is not my choice and I strongly believe in leaving the hormones intact until growth is finished early desexing is not new and has been performed by shelters and rescues for many years. And yes there can be issues but there are also many that never have a problem.

• Like 2