Toys for higher energy dogs

SmokeyR67

G'day guys,

I've just gone through my dog toy box, and most of them are more than a bit worse for wear, so as part of my preparation for bringing in a young crazy furry thing into my house, I'm going to restock on quality toys.

I like Aussie dog toys, a turbo chook, home alone and a big yellow treat ball where amongst my favorites, along with big kongs, and canvas covered throw tube thingies, but that was 10 years ago, so I'd love to hear what you guys have found to be great toys for pups through adolescence.I'm also thinking that those toys where great when my dogs where a bit older, but a bit too big when they where little guys.

I should mention that I'm looking at Viszla's, so medium size dogs, and I'm not a fan of tug toys, if a human is one of the tuggers:)

Thanks for putting up with my questions,

Shane

All of those are still good.  Kongs come in different sizes.   And there are some good food puzzle toys around now too .. although I believe smart dogs can figure them out very quickly.

I avoid rope toys for youngsters .. or any for that matter .. a bit hard on teeth for babies.  If you don't plan to play tug :( , but still want to give the pup that sort of fun interaction, you could look at using a flirt pole.  Here's an example

• Like 1

Food dispensing toys. Not just Kongs, though Kongs are great too. Don't even bother buying a regular bowl, it's a waste of a potential enrichment or training opportunity!!

Ideas: Sprinkles, snuffle mats (buy or make), Kong Wobbler (can fill partly with shredded paper when it becomes too easy), Kyjen slo-bowl, Kyjen invincibles range.

• Like 1

Good quality toys are awesome but you tend to not want to see them get destroyed lol.  The destroying bit is often what dogs (especially pups)  love to do so to give you more options for rotating toys it pays to make your own free or cheap things. If you're looking for mental enrichment anything which keeps them occupied and out of trouble is great!

A big meaty bone (non weight bearing), an empty milk container with a handful of kibble inside, meals stuffed in a kongs, nylabones, antlers (every now and then), puzzle toys, hiding food so they have to sniff it out, scent games, a cardboard box taped up with treats a toy or a chew item inside, scattering kibble in grass to be found, 2nd hand soft toys for ripping up and destroying, a tub full of balls with treats dropped in, a sandpit for digging with chew items buried etc.   Generally the things you see your dog get enjoyment from are what you try and provide, some like digging, some eating, some chewing or ripping etc.

Something like a fleece tug or similar is especially handy to keep close when pup is in the playing\biting stage so you can redirect from skin or clothes straight to this. You can start to teach the beginning of self control with games too, like sit and then the tug toy gets wiggled.  Watch how fast they learn a sit means the game continues!

There's heaps of ideas of things to make and do on the internet too.  Here's one to get you started.. :)

http://www.awlqld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/3-Fun-Backyards-Enrichment-for-Dogs-Jan-2009.pdf

• Like 3

Thanks Guys,

You've given me some great ideas!

I have to admit to being a bit of a paranoid dog owner, so I only use toys that either indestructable or very easily passable, but I really love your sand pit idea Roova, I'll just have to make sure the neighbours cats relearn that they're not welcome in my yard, unless they knock on the door and ask nicely if they can come in and play :)

I'm planning a bit of an "obstacle course" in the backyard (just made from pvc pipe, plywood cheap poly tarp) and now there's gunna be a sand pit too. (just a very simple maze, with a small bridge, that sort of thing)

Thistle, thanks for the remote control car idea, a man and his dog can never have enough toys, so a new R/C car will be great fun for us both:) I might have to go for and R/C tank, not for any dog related reason, just because I'd love one.

I've never been able to get pups involved with kongs Papillion, I fill them with all the tastiest goodies, but from what you've said, I'm probably making the mistake of filling them up at meal time, so they aren't that motivated to get stuck about a Kong. No pun intended (well, yes it is intended) you've given me great food for thought.