Home made menu

Hi Guys,

I'm going to be getting a new mate soon, and I'd love to get your opinions on diet.

Of course, I'll be feeding whatever the breeder suggest for the first months, but here's what I like to feed my dogs, please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

My plan is to give them a good quality dry food as the base, with chicken frames or lamb neck for the chewy bits, raw eggs, sardines, tomato (paste is easiest), some raw shredded vege's  and a wee bit of pasta to hold it all together.

For training treats, I'd like to dry my own meats - liver chicken and beef, obviously finely sliced and well cured.

Do you see any problems with what I'm planning, and am I missing anything that they will need?

Just fingernail size bits would send my dogs scooting when they were pups. They don't seem to have an issue with boiled or baked liver, just the dried stuff.  Maybe because it is so concentrated.

• Like 3

I'd cut out the pasta and the tomato paste. Surely tomato paste isn't good for dogs as part of their diet (the occasional bit won't hurt) but I feel like it's quite acidic and has sugar and stuff added...? 

Pasta won't hurt them if fed occasionally either, but it isn't really necessary, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Here's what we feed in our house:

Breakfast: Kibble

Usually Black Hawk but we have tried Meals For Mutts & Savour Life recently. They were all great, MfM made them have stinky breath but t was sardine flavour. 

We used to feed supermarket kibble, and Monty was on Hills Science Diet at RSPCA... wouldn't recommend any of that. Hills was full of so much corn that it (and the dog) smelled like Doritos. And it costs a fortune! 

Check out this website;

Pet Food Reviews Australia

And for dinner we feed raw.

- Big Dog BARF patties are great,

- OR,  A Prey Model Raw balanced home made meal of 80% muscle meat and 10% Organ (liver) and 10% bone. 

(Which generally works out for 20kg dog and 12kg dog to be:

- a chicken drumstick each

- a 20g piece of chicken liver and a 20g piece of lamb kidney each (I think. Can't remember exactly.)

-  and bulk the rest of the 450g up with meat (lamb offcuts, lamb/beef/chicken hearts, chicken giblets, pork offcuts, etc) 

Google this:

- Perfectly Rawesome 

- Raw Feeding Calculator

and have a look at raw feeding :) 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...