Parvo :(

19 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

How's it going @EllieDog?

She's done really really well! 

Although the vet disagrees with me, I am fairly certain that the positive on the parvo test was due to her vaccinations. It also came to light that the breeder had been very dishonest with use about her age, and she came to us WAY to young, at 6 weeks old. I believe now that her symptoms were due to her being weaned way too early and her gut not ready for the food. 

I ended up taking her back to the vet for a repeat parvo test, which was then negative. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EllieDog said:

She's done really really well! 

Although the vet disagrees with me, I am fairly certain that the positive on the parvo test was due to her vaccinations. It also came to light that the breeder had been very dishonest with use about her age, and she came to us WAY to young, at 6 weeks old. I believe now that her symptoms were due to her being weaned way too early and her gut not ready for the food. 

I ended up taking her back to the vet for a repeat parvo test, which was then negative. 

Well thats good (& bad news).  Hope she's really on the up & continues to improve.

13 hours ago, EllieDog said:

Yes, I certainly intend too!

A little off topic but;

Is it definitely illegal? or is it only a recommendation, I can't find the government law saying it's illegal so if someone could post the relevant link it'd be great.

I can find the relevant Act if I know the state. :)  Each state uses a compulsory code which refers back to the POCTAA but they can be hard to find. Usually a phone call to the relevant Dept is best, or try the RSPCA knowledge base for simple answers. :) 

eg http://kb.rspca.org.au/How-old-should-a-puppy-be-before-they-are-adoptedpurchased_311.html

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

I can find the relevant Act if I know the state. :)  Each state uses a compulsory code which refers back to the POCTAA but they can be hard to find. Usually a phone call to the relevant Dept is best, or try the RSPCA knowledge base for simple answers. :) 

eg http://kb.rspca.org.au/How-old-should-a-puppy-be-before-they-are-adoptedpurchased_311.html

Yes PL, thank you,  I did know of that RSPCA info but it is still just advice/recommendation  'RSPCA Australia considers the minimum acceptable age for a puppy to be removed from the mother dog for adoption or purchase to be 8 weeks of age'.

I had another hunt round and it seems that governments are saying 'Guidelines' and 'Minimum Standards' and Code of Practice' but not stating that it is illegal to sell a pup under 8 weeks of age

5 hours ago, Boronia said:

Yes PL, thank you,  I did know of that RSPCA info but it is still just advice/recommendation  'RSPCA Australia considers the minimum acceptable age for a puppy to be removed from the mother dog for adoption or purchase to be 8 weeks of age'.

I had another hunt round and it seems that governments are saying 'Guidelines' and 'Minimum Standards' and Code of Practice' but not stating that it is illegal to sell a pup under 8 weeks of age

Hard to interpret aren't they. In NSW the DPI Code of Practice is law and states pups must not be sold under 8 wks. One day I'll sit down and find the other states. It might make a good thread. :) 

• Like 5

If the breeder of the puppy is a registered breeder with her states Canine Control and she has sold a puppy at six weeks of age she has broken the code of ethics and if reported to said Canine control she will be fined and possibly put onto a suspension of membership.

The code of ethics states that the sale of puppies can be done after 8 weeks of age.   Definitely not before that age.

• Like 4