Buying a puppy - follow on from Pollypops post

Airedaler

58 minutes ago, Maddy said:

This is sort of the problem, isn't it. You can't know what the other persons' intentions were; whether or not they had intended, from the beginning, to deceive, or that something had happened and they lied only because they didn't know what else to do. Honesty does seem a lot harder for some people, especially if it involves admitting a mistake. I had a couple adopt a dog from me (one that I didn't think was right for them), they insisted they could handle him and so foolishly, I let them take him. When it turned out they couldn't handle him, instead of just ringing me up and admitting this, they told me that he'd killed another dog and they had to return him. They were willing to see this dog die, rather than admit a mistake. And because I only found out about the lie several months down the track, the dog was indeed put to sleep. What I learned from that horrible experience was to never under-estimate the stupid sh*t people will lie about to avoid looking foolish/wrong. The extents that people will go to, can be quite incredible.

It's a big problem. Most of the time everything is alright, most people are honest, but it's the ones that aren't that can break you

Yeah I got burnt badly by a registered breeder as well. I thought I had done my research and only when I had issues did I find out that pretty much everyone else in the breed knew about issues but no one bothered to say anything I had one pup die of renal failure and the pup I was given because my other pup died came down with addison's disease not to mention said breeder flew a dog with stitches in its tummy from a hernia op and went over my head  and arranged with a travel company to fly the pup when I wanted to let the pup heal before travel and all because they wanted the pup to look pretty for me..

I am now really good friends with another person who also had a pup from the same breeder who has issues with their pup. I also tracked down the new owner of a pup I had to give up and fought with the breeder to return only to find out the breeder had lied and told the new owner of said  pup  that it was a rescue also the breeder didn't disclose massive health issues to the new owner and it cost the new owner a lot of money.

Sent all this into the canine council that they are with and was told it was a civil matter and they won't do anything about it. My friend was told the same it has made us very wary of registered breeders. We both want purebred pups from breeders who care, its hard to trust anyone because we don't want to have to go through what we have ever again.

The price paid wasn't cheap either at $2000 a pup. It has since gone up to around $3000-4000 depending on the breeder.

--Lhok