Help with choosing worming meds

I talked to our friend at our local pet store and she said that for us at least Interceptor would be cheaper. 

(A 12kg dog and a 21kg dog) 

If I were you I'd just figure our which is the most cost effective option for you and go with that, unless you were concerned about overdosing (sort of) on milbemax, then stick with Interceptor. 

• Like 1

Yeah this was the first time in years I'd bought it from a pet store, usually I buy it online (so much cheaper!!) But I realised they were due for it the day before and the shipping would've taken too long (I hadn't realised I'd used it all up.) 

I usually get it from Budget Pet Products or Pet Circle, or sometimes My Pet Warehouse.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 6:23 PM, french fries said:

crazy price. Must be due to expiry date but that is fine for us. Was In a pet store today getting some other things and had a squiz at the worming meds....wow, so so expensive compared to online.

If products are short-dated, Budget Pet Products always lists them with that information.

The price difference is significant but that seems to be a thing for pet products generally. Go into a brick and mortar pet shop and for many things, you'll often pay a lot more than you would online.

For the size of wormers/flea treatments I buy a lot of, the price difference can be as high as $40 per pack. At the moment, the current price difference between Budget Pet Products and one of the chain pet stores in our area is $67 per 6 pack of Advocate :eek:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, french fries said:

So all sorted for worms/heartworm with interceptor. 

Any recommendations for flea and ticks? 

Are oral meds or topical safer/better? 

I use Advance but that's just because our vet recommended it when Scrappi had Flea Allergy Dermatitis. (Used to use Sentinel spectrum which says on the front "kills fleas" but it actually only kills the early life stages and makes the adults unable to reproduce... so they are still able to bite the dogs. So one or two jumped on, bit him, then jumped off (we never even saw any fleas. Just bites & a little Flea dust) and he had an itchy allergic reaction to the saliva and was itchy for weeks.) 

We won a free sample of Bravecto which I will use in Summer (lasts 3 months for fleas and 4 months for Paralysis ticks), and we'll see how that goes. I feel like Bravecto must be quite a strong dose though since it lasts so long... and it's oral. Advance is topical.

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Nexgard is good for fleas and ticks -it is a chew and lasts one month :) 

We used to use nexgard and interceptor together but just switched to Nexgard Spectra which does heartworm, intestinal worms (except tapeworm) and fleas and ticks

(and will give virbac once every 3 months for tapeworm)

• Like 2

I don't think it's stronger Scrappi, but just a different ingredient and preparation. If you think about it, there are plenty of medications that are given more or less frequently than others and aren't necessarily stronger or weaker. They're just... different. :) 

I give Nexgard.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I don't think it's stronger Scrappi, but just a different ingredient and preparation. If you think about it, there are plenty of medications that are given more or less frequently than others and aren't necessarily stronger or weaker. They're just... different. :) 

I give Nexgard.

Oh ok that's good thanks PK :) 

I'd just heard some people didn't like using ones like that because they felt it was unnecessarily strong/long lasting dose and a bit much, but I think that's just some people's skeptical ideas... I suppose if it is on the market with good reviews it should be ok if the vets recommend it. :) 

By strong I meant as in a stronger/longer-lasting drug (like say paracetamol as opposed to stronger or longer lasting pain medication) which some people might think is unnecessary (like if the weaker one does the trick use that) 

I don't know :laugh:

I'm not a vet or doctor, so I might be wrong, I'm just thinking it through. Pain killers are a great example: I just checked a bunch of our boxes and most are to be taken every 4-6 hours regardless of strength. Then there are medications that come in immediate release and sustained release.

I did choose Nexgard ve Bravecto because it wears out quicker so I thought if there's a negative reaction then it would be out of his system quicker. But that also sounds unscientific in a way, 'cause you may be no less likely to get a bad reaction and if you got a bad reaction it may or may not clear up at a proportionate rate.

TL/DR take any concerns to a vet. :laugh: 

• Like 1

Just found a paper on an independent (I think) scientific study of Nexguard vs Bravecto; quite interesting! (But also kind of sad for the dogs, living in cages and getting ticks on them weekly...!) 

Ticks study

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304401715000473

Fleas study

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304401714006281?via%3Dihub

Edited by Scrappi&Monty