NZ Mighty Mix (frozen)

There are lots of local add for a frozen dog food supplement called Mighty Mix.  Some locals swear by it.  I have Labs, who eat pretty much everything except citrus and onions.  A friend gave me a few cups of the stuff and I tried it on the dogs.  They turned their noses.  From the online description it's very fatty (30% plus) and could be anything from lamb/mutton to salmon.  I've never seen them turn down high fat food.

Curious to know if others have experience with the stuff...or ideas about why my crew don't like it.

The fat content.. :eek:

Seeing cereal in the ingredients was an unexpected disappointment and honey is just completely unnecessary for a dog.

I've noticed that if my mince mix from my local meat lady is too fatty (which it tends to be in early summer, mostly from the sheep), the dogs are not overly keen on it and will usually eat less. On the other hand, they also don't love overly lean meats. 

If I had the time (and energy), I'd love to do a weekly soxhlet extraction to compare against time of year and how much of it they eat, to figure out their preferred range for fat content. Unfortunately for dogs and my own curiosity, I hate mucking around with easyfit glassware, especially trying to get flasks clean afterwards.

Just noticed it also contains pork. I can see how it'd be an effective energy supplement but there's no way I'd be feeding that product on a daily basis, as a food or a supplement.

I've only come across it once while I was pet sitting. Never fed it personally as Scottie was grain free but I wasn't overly impressed with the ingredients.  

The fella who was eating it was an obese lab who seemed to love it... but he also loved apples & smackos & nealry barreled me over for Ziwipeak on the day I did a meet & greet with him.

I think there are better choices here in NZ :/ No idea why your guys turned their noses up. It could be that its essentially floor sweepings?

Thanks, guys.  It does kinda seem like this product is fat rich floor sweepings.  Supplement could indicate that it doesn't qualify as a balanced/ complete diet. Just provides extra energy...as any high fat food will.  Also a bit of a worry that they aren't specific about what critters the meat cam from.  I'll give it a miss.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Thanks, guys.  It does kinda seem like this product is fat rich floor sweepings.  Supplement could indicate that it doesn't qualify as a balanced/ complete diet. Just provides extra energy...as any high fat food will.  Also a bit of a worry that they aren't specific about what critters the meat cam from.  I'll give it a miss.

On their website, they mention that the only reason it doesn't meet standards for a daily food is the fat content but even if that wasn't high, a food containing lots of cereal and pork as a meat.. yeah, no thanks.

Just had a look at some of their other foods, like their regular biscuits and yeah, first ingredient was cereals, second was "meat products and fats".

Looks like someone just cashing in on the good reputation a lot of NZ pet foods have (Ziwipeak, K9 Natural, etc).