Wierd behaviour in Pickles (camp dog)

While I wait for the vet to call me back...

This afternoon (about 2 hours ago), Pickles started acting very strangely.

She seemed quite agitated, trembling, panting, pacing up and down the hall, in and out the back door, and just generally looked distressed.

I went outside with her, as she looked like she wanted to defecate, and she paced about and did manage to poop a reasonable amount. Stools were firm but not dry or really hard.

I've palpated her belly and internals and it all seems normal (not tight or hard or causing discomfort when I palpate). She is alert and responsive, and when I offered her some water, she drank ok.

She seemed OK after she'd defecated, but we've had 2 more episodes of the pacing/trembling and looking like she wants to poo since. She's currently quite fine and sleeping between me and the heater.

I'm thinking I'll fast her tonight (in case of a backlog in the colon), and monitor for any more symptoms... she's not going to be happy going without dinner... errr! Just waiting for the vet to call me back to confirm this course of action.

Anyone think they may have an idea what could be going on if a backed up colon isn't the cause?

Pickles is also mobility challenged - she walks like a marionette due to a scar in her brain she's had since before coming to me as a 9 week old pup. She is nearly 7 years old now, and is the picture of health apart from the funny walk. Diagnosing any type of mild siezure activity would be hard due to that's the way she walks normally...

Anyways... please feel free to throw any and all suggestions my way...

T.

That's so worrying for you! I have no useful advice - you have enough experience knowing when it is time to race to the vet. Hopefully she hasn't eaten something odd which is causing a blockage or causing discomfort as it moves through her system. Keep us updated on Miss P!

• Like 3

:( bugga. poor Pickles , being so uncomfortable ..it does sound like a pain/stress response, doesn't it ?
 is there anything happening  re: weird sounds anywhere? Thunder/building/....anything different? 
has she had access to anything weird she may have tasted ? 
No louder tummy rumbles ?
Gums redder or paler than usual ? 
Sorry .. no real help - just know thoughts are sent ... Both of you just breathe.... nice & slow ....

Gums all good, no ingestion of anything out of the ordinary, tummy sounds are normal - and she's non-reactive to loud sounds or storms (thank dog!).

She's just had another round... and this time I felt (quite literally felt her all over) that the trembling was mostly confined to around the neck and shoulders, more on the left than the right, and she's knuckling over on the front left paw more than normal. Starting to think she's tweaked herself when she was rough playing with the foster pup this afternoon... *sigh*... probably twisted something in one of the potholes he's dug out there...grrr!

I have Meloxicam here, so will see what the vet thinks if/when he calls me back before I give her some.

Might have to get her lounge room bed into the bedroom tonight, as I'm not sure she's going to be able to get on and off my bed... *grin*... not that she tends to use it in the lounge room - prefers the couch mostly...

I'm concerned, but not panicking... she seems fine in between bouts of the trembling... still going to fast her tonight (and the others too, just for good measure).

T.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, persephone said:

Fingers crossed it is 'just a tweak ' somewhere ... :hug:

Starting to look much more likely than any really serious issue...

Bloody dogs... love testing us out on odd occasions, don't they?

Starting to think the vet isn't going to call me back... can't be 100% certain that the receptionist passed on the message. If he'd got it, he'd have called straight away, as he knows me well.

T.

• Like 1

Thanks perse... I like to think I've picked up a few diagnostic skills along the way... lol! And getting even more experience with other animal illnesses and injuries at my farm job... loving the learning!

T.

• Like 1

Well... thought I'd give the trembly areas a good massage... and we have a much more happy and comfortable dog now. Still favouring the left front a bit, but much more settled and not displaying those worrying symptoms as frequently.

Vet never called, and it's way past even his staying back time, so I'm gonna give her a dose of Meloxicam just for good measure.

Bloody dogs...who'd have them, huh? *grin*

T.

Edited by tdierikx
typo
  • Like 2

..and some Rescue Remedy :) Hot wheat bag on her neck/shoulder as well, maybe ?  ..Hope you both get some sleep ....Just thought again of the 'knuckling' of the front ... keep an eye on that .. Don dog damaged his radial nerve early on by hitting the point of his shoulder on something  .. he was quite sore for a while ... but was very lucky  . His L front foot knuckles  over when he's tired /been digging a lot ... he is lucky he can still gallop and dig!

• Like 2

Pickles knuckles both front feet on a daily basis normally... it's part of what makes her "special"... lol!

She freaks vets out with her spasticity, which is why I usually call first, then bring her in if they think I can't handle the problem myself.

T.

• Like 1

My beautiful girl Caoimhe gave us a real shock about 11 weeks ago, she kept knuckling over on her left front leg and ended up starting to fall over, so off to the vet within an hour of her showing these symptoms, she had put a disc out in her neck, so to start with he had to get the swelling down and relieve the pain, she was put on Tramadol and Metacam, as it was the weekend this gave the medication time to start working, on the Monday she went back and he started a course of acupuncture, seven sessions in all over the next two weeks and continued with the Tramadol for a week and Metacam for a further four weeks, she is now back to normal and like her old self, she will be seven years old tomorrow, bless her.

• Like 2

We had a light dinner, some more massage, and a dose of Meloxicam...seems to have done the trick, as she managed to get herself up onto my bed during the night and is back to her "normal" self this morning. I lifted her off the bed this morning just to be safe...

@Mjosa- Pickles has a scar on her brain that means that she knuckles both front feet on a daily basis. She doesn't have much feeling in all 4 legs, so also walks like a marionette. She can run like a whippet though, go figure!

She had a rather rigorous rumble session with the foster puppy yesterday as I was doing the poo patrol, so my bad for not supervising their play more strictly...

They do like to frighten us with these things though, don't they? I was quite worried for a bit there...

T.

• Like 1