save my old dog from slipping on floors

macksmum

Hello., I am reaching out to everyone as I am desperate to find a solution to my old darling (16) slipping on wooden floors and tiles. I have runner rugs and various mats all over the house but as  he is small he inevitably has ended up on the few areas that do not have coverings and has slipped pulling tendons.  I want him to enjoy life as much as possible and be able to move around with confidence (him and me) so I am asking for anyone with experience of this issue for help and guidance. I have been looking at boots/socks but am getting confused with all the different products and issues involved with them e.g.. falling off, spinning around rubbing feet etc. Thank you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with socks. Been there, done that, now own four useless dog socks.

We had the slipping issue a lot with Idiot Dog (who would fall over and not be able to get himself back up) so we did two things: firstly, cut his nails as short as I could keep them, to force him to grip more with his toe pads. It made a noticeable difference and we got into a comfortable habit of having his nails done while he napped. The other thing was to get the insanely heavy rubber.. fuzzy.. whatever they are.. mats, from Bunnings. They're expensive but as long as you have enough in the room, if the dog slips on a bare bit of floor, a mat edge will stop them slipping too far. 

These are the mats: https://www.bunnings.com.au/matpro-60-x-90cm-esteem-rubber-backed-synthetic-mat_p4493560 They come in a few sizes, which is handy for working around furniture to get maximum floor coverage.

I wish I could offer you a better solution than just "all the mats" but that was the best we could ever come up with :/

What type of dog is he? the reason I'm asking is that if he has heaps of hair between his pads (like my Westies do) it needs to be cut right back so his paw pads touch the ground instead of slippery hair, if you do that as well as clip his nails as Maddy suggests it will help.

We went through this with Ingrid. As she got older she was slipping and getting getting frightened. We had wall to wall mats by the end. I thought of trying the socks but I think they would have freaked her out. Vet bed with rubber backing is great for the floors. We also had rubber mats from Bunnings.

I tried the socks  for my little cocker spaniel when she had problems but she really didnt like them

I did  get some of this  from Bunnings     link  (  Non Slip Magic Stop ) 

and  could buy by the meter and found this  very good  , can lay it around the areas needed

Definitely trim hairy feet down to flush against the paw pads if hairy feet are an issue.

I second Bunnings mats - I have nearly all my floors covered between the rubber backed carpet squares (1m x 1m for $25) and Kmart gym mats. Protects my dogs and my wooden floors. One vet bill and one floor repolish pays for a lot of rubber matting. Ugly but definitely much more pet friendly, and much nicer to walk on in the cold of winter too which was the other benefit ;) 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 11:39 AM, Jess. said:

Definitely trim hairy feet down to flush against the paw pads if hairy feet are an issue.

I second Bunnings mats - I have nearly all my floors covered between the rubber backed carpet squares (1m x 1m for $25) and Kmart gym mats. Protects my dogs and my wooden floors. One vet bill and one floor repolish pays for a lot of rubber matting. Ugly but definitely much more pet friendly, and much nicer to walk on in the cold of winter too which was the other benefit ;) 

And stops any indoor zoomies from becoming indoors slip'n'slide'into'the'glass'door :eek:

I actually have a picture of Idiot Dog in his socks, taken in the few seconds before the back ones sort of.. slithered off and he pulled the front ones off with his teeth..

whyudothis.thumb.jpg.505ab19a5a3b183a1ed894412b24f1cf.jpg

Edited to add.. the first and last time I tried them. There was no way in hell those socks were going to stay on, even though they were apparently "greyhound" sized.

Edited by Maddy
  • Like 2

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses and sorry about delay ..the dreaded flu knocked me over. 

l appreciate your comments re mats, l have put  long runner carpets and mats through the house, which are the main safety plan but he has, unfortunately, slipped on a small areas where mats couldn't cover. There are other areas that are of concern eg. smooth concrete and gaps near walls where mats are. He is a min poodle so as suggested l do keep him clipped as well as nails trimmed. In genereal he is good but l do have to momitor him while at home, thankfully because of age he does rest a lot and l crate him if l he is home without a human spervisor. 

Shekhina thank you for toe grip link they do look good and testimonials look really promising so l too will give them a try.

Thank you everyone it wonderful to have a dog community site like Dogzonline to turn to.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, macksmum said:

Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses and sorry about delay ..the dreaded flu knocked me over. 

l appreciate your comments re mats, l have put  long runner carpets and mats through the house, which are the main safety plan but he has, unfortunately, slipped on a small areas where mats couldn't cover. There are other areas that are of concern eg. smooth concrete and gaps near walls where mats are. He is a min poodle so as suggested l do keep him clipped as well as nails trimmed. In genereal he is good but l do have to momitor him while at home, thankfully because of age he does rest a lot and l crate him if l he is home without a human spervisor. 

Shekhina thank you for toe grip link they do look good and testimonials look really promising so l too will give them a try.

Thank you everyone it wonderful to have a dog community site like Dogzonline to turn to.

restrict his access to the areas of concern when you cannot supervise, it is safer and better peace of mind for you both.

7 hours ago, shekhina said:

Let me know how they go!  I'm just slightly frustrated that you can't pick a neutral colour for whatever size, like black.  Not sure bright green or purple would be Lincoln's colour (he's a Rottweiler) :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ohhh  that  vision  cracked me up

Did think about the toe grips for our old dog but never got around the ordering them at the time (they were fairly new then).  I did use the dogbooties for when she went to the vet for a while when she was having issues on the floors there (near the end she didnt need them but they made a difference). 

On 7/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, persephone said:

These socks look worth a try ... no problems with rubbing  feet  at least :) 

I’ve just ordered these as I am fostering a little old poodle x girl whose legs go in all directions, which is just aggravating her arthritis :( :(.  Hopefully they will help.  I’d like to try the toe grips too and will do some googling to see if they are available in Australia. 

Thanks for the links, DOLers.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I’ve just ordered these as I am fostering a little old poodle x girl whose legs go in all directions, which is just aggravating her arthritis :( :(.  Hopefully they will help.  I’d like to try the toe grips too and will do some googling to see if they are available in Australia. 

Thanks for the links, DOLers.   

did you find them DDD?

I found this in case you didn't

https://www.toegrips.com/local-retailers/#International

• Like 1

You are a genius, @Boronia:thanks:

I also remembered seeing a photograph on a FB of a little dog wearing non slip booties, so I asked about them on that FB page and a couple of posters are sending me some - how nice is that :):) .  So I will be reporting back.  I had a check of Orla’s feet and they are a little bit hairy so I’ll be attempting some clipping as well.  I gave her a Tramadol last night and she is much better this morning.   

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
added to
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Boronia said:

did you find them DDD?

I found this in case you didn't

https://www.toegrips.com/local-retailers/#International

12 minutes ago, karly101 said:

Another alternative - 

https://pawfriction.com/

Can buy it through amazon or if you want to purchase in Australia a company called silverglide stocks it. 

I’ll see how the booties go, first, and if not successful, I’ll investigate these.  

Thanks again.