Dog bite ear treatment

The dogs had a little tiff tonight at dinner, very unusual for them! I was in a hurry and was getting ready so I left them unsupervised (which I do sometimes as I trusted them to be good) Not sure who tried to steal whose food but Scrappi got a nip to the ear.

Heard a growl/yap, ran out and Scrappi was holding his ear weirdly and head tilting. He has a wound in his ear which seems to have stopped bleeding now but it's very sensitive of course so I can't get a great look.

Wondering what I can do and if we need to go to the vet tomorrow.

Should I somehow clean with saline? It's quite hard to reach though, and he's sore to touch it. Should I give him half an aspirin for pain relief? 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

i think a vet trip tomorrow is a good idea. when thistle's ear was bitten through, the vet was very concerned about infection - something about the ear tract allowing easy access to the brain. he gave us painkillers (meloxicam) and antibiotics, it healed up quick enough and you wouldnt see it if you didnt know where to look

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, persephone said:

if the bite is IN the ear - a vet visit is a good plan . :)  On the ear flap ... obviously vet if you cannot treat it at home ..but otherwise clean and use betadine or similar ...

It's at the very base of the ear, sort of where the hairs protect things from going into the ear canal. If it was on the ear flap more I would be able to clean it out fine, but it's a bit hard to access. 

I tried saline solution last night but he barely let me touch it, I didn't want to stress him out so I left it at that. Should I try that again? I don't know if we have any betadine anymore, I'll go have a search :) 

IMG_4591.thumb.PNG.26bab4fc705eb4d54a21e59e92712f1d.PNG

(His ear is folded inside out) 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

Looks like a scratch, really ..but it will be sore :)  use body temp saline ...betadine...silver colloid is great for this- no smell, no sting, no stain!Calendula tea ..once again , warm , and just a few drops ...
Vet if you want .. I think the problem here is how much it hurts/itches/is annoying . Shaking his head a LOT may give him a haematoma .. much worse than this  original problem :P 
Do you have any Neotopic ? Antibiotic ear drops ?Pure Aloe vera gel?  manuka honey?

( what I would do ... NOT telling you to do it ) 
clean and dry .. with silver colloid , or calendula tea ...and apply SOOV ointment a few times a day .....

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1