Woman mauled to death at Perth boarding kennels

spikey

11 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

Not all dogs (and especially not all those in rescue) go "bad" because of abuse. Rescue and rescue adopters likes to play on "abuse" as a scapegoat for a dog whose behaviour is unacceptable.

Some dogs are just born with bad nerve/temperament... so let's just acknowledge that fact... and if we can't fix the issue, then maybe the dog needs to be "rehomed to god", rather than foisting an animal with dangerous issues out into the public domain. Not everything with a pulse "must be saved"... grr!

T.

Exactly . 
Any living thing can come into the world  different/unhealthy/brain damaged/unsound. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Not all dogs (and especially not all those in rescue) go "bad" because of abuse. Rescue and rescue adopters likes to play on "abuse" as a scapegoat for a dog whose behaviour is unacceptable.

Some dogs are just born with bad nerve/temperament... so let's just acknowledge that fact... and if we can't fix the issue, then maybe the dog needs to be "rehomed to god", rather than foisting an animal with dangerous issues out into the public domain. Not everything with a pulse "must be saved"... grr!

T.

Couldn't agree more.  Some animals - and let's face it, some people as well - are simply born with something wrong with the hardwiring of the brain, which can be due to a number of factors.  They can't be rehabilitated, or saved or "fixed", no matter what you do or how hard you try.  It's not their fault, it's just a fact of life that needs to be accepted and sometimes hard (and unpalatable) decisions need to be made.  

One of my own dogs has a crap nerve... she's frightened of anything she's not encountered before, and even some things she has encountered before. Thankfully, she is not fear aggressive - or aggressive in any other way. If she were at some point to start to display any aggressive tendencies, I'd have her put to sleep pretty darned quickly - as one doesn't faff about with a Dane cross with bad attitude!

She is a rescue foster failure, and I've known her since birth - so I know there has been no abuse in her background... but if she ever ended up in the hands of some of the resccues out there, they'd be inventing all sorts of colourful back stories to "explain" her behaviours for sure!

T.

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

T.

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Couldn't agree more.  Some animals - and let's face it, some people as well - are simply born with something wrong with the hardwiring of the brain, which can be due to a number of factors.  They can't be rehabilitated, or saved or "fixed", no matter what you do or how hard you try.  It's not their fault, it's just a fact of life that needs to be accepted and sometimes hard (and unpalatable) decisions need to be made.  

I agree.  Sad but true.  Anything with a brain can be “born bad”.  People are born with physical abnormalities; the brain is a physical thing as well, so that can become abnormal in the gestation period.  A bit O/T, but I also believe in evil, in that some people (and if you watch the news every day you’d probably change “some” to “many”) are born evil.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, persephone said:

Ahhh... that makes sense ... those last minutes would have been just awful for her :cry:
Thoughts flying to her family , kennel regulars ....

actually bleeding out is quite a peaceful way to go, you just feel cold and increasingly sleepy, I remember being quite annoyed when the doctors kept waking me up all I wanted was to be left alone and sleep, had no idea how much I had been bleeding after a miscarriage, by the time I arrived at the hospital all I wanted to do was sleep. It was only later I learned how close things came to death . felt so peaceful not even the sight of all the blood on the stretcher sheets when they moved me, worried me a jot

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I agree.  Sad but true.  Anything with a brain can be “born bad”.  People are born with physical abnormalities; the brain is a physical thing as well, so that can become abnormal in the gestation period.  A bit O/T, but I also believe in evil, in that some people (and if you watch the news every day you’d probably change “some” to “many”) are born evil.  

Yes, so true, so many horse rescues want to "save" everything.

and other people not even in rescue put so much pressure on someone who wants to sell a horse they no long want because they are afraid of it, they tell the poor person that they have committed to that horses care for life when they bought it and they "cant just throw it away" when they want to sell it.

they are big and potentially deadly if they want to be.

2 hours ago, asal said:

actually bleeding out is quite a peaceful way to go, you just feel cold and increasingly sleepy, I remember being quite annoyed when the doctors kept waking me up all I wanted was to be left alone and sleep, had no idea how much I had been bleeding after a miscarriage, by the time I arrived at the hospital all I wanted to do was sleep. It was only later I learned how close things came to death . felt so peaceful not even the sight of all the blood on the stretcher sheets when they moved me, worried me a jot

Ok ... (I'm so glad you got thru that !!)  
I rather was thinking of her thoughts ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

And in addition, experiences, particularly while young when the brain is still developing, can rewire the brain or affect how it develops  so there are lots of points at which things can go wrong in a way that can't be changed later even with the best training and all the love in the world.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Simply Grand said:

And in addition, experiences, particularly while young when the brain is still developing, can rewire the brain or affect how it develops  so there are lots of points at which things can go wrong in a way that can't be changed later even with the best training and all the love in the world.

Hmm, sounds like me! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mingaling said:

Hmm, sounds like me! 

Absolutely, happens in humans too and as you know it's bloody hard enough for us to try and rewire our brains back to stable/healthy/happy, and we can talk about it and at least have some understanding :(

ETA but mingaling, you can and are working so hard on "fixing" up that faulty wiring and are definitely worth saving :hug:

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 4

On 06/08/2017 at 4:20 PM, persephone said:

Ok ... (I'm so glad you got thru that !!)  
I rather was thinking of her thoughts ....

very true, that is the hard part.   very had not to keep wishing, if only someone had come by, if only she had something she could have used as a tournaquate

I know for me even when I saw all the blood was suprised and I realised i obviously could be in trouble but by then I didnt care, too sleepy.

i know when i was better realised how lucky i was born now and not in the years of only horse and buggy, would have died that day. so the rest of my life has been a gift I would never have had if I had been born in the eara I  like better than all the high tech stuff lol even the net, to think my grandparents still had horses and sulkies up until just before I was born, my mums horse won champion Harness horse at sydney royal in 1938 I think is the year on his ribbon?  have to go check, my dad was still delivering ice because there were no fridges and here I am talking to you over a system me, my parents and certainly never my grandparents could ever envisige eh?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, asal said:

very true, that is the hard part.   very had not to keep wishing, if only someone had come by, if only she had something she could have used as a tournaquate

I know for me even when I saw all the blood was suprised and I realised i obviously could be in trouble but by then I didnt care, too sleepy.

i know when i was better realised how lucky i was born now and not in the years of only horse and buggy, would have died that day. so the rest of my life has been a gift I would never have had if I had been born in the eara I  like better than all the high tech stuff lol even the net, to think my grandparents still had horses and sulkies up until just before I was born, my mums horse won champion Harness horse at sydney royal in 1938 I think is the year on his ribbon?  have to go check, my dad was still delivering ice because there were no fridges and here I am talking to you over a system me, my parents and certainly never my grandparents could ever envisige eh?

yes indeed ... 
the other day I used the RFDS services , as I was not well enough to drive to town ( 90km) & see my own doctor ... I then was able to use A/B's from our locked chest of medicines ...This service is an oldish one , but now modernised .. phone/computer video appointments - without which , many folks would be very ill indeed! To have a DR available 24/7 ..and some serious medications  has helped us a couple of times in emergency situations as well. 

back in our Grandparents' time ..it was be tough & hope someone knew  something ..or  die....

• Like 1