Supplementing a raw diet

Hi everyone, just need a bit of advice for my boy who is currently on a raw diet. I won't bore you with the details, but we are moving to a single income household for the next 6 months and I would like to reduce his food bill. My first thought is to reduce his twice daily raw meals to once a day and then supplement with kibble or something else. Does anyone have thoughts on Prime 100 range of dog rolls? Open to suggestions on how I could do this. Thanks for your help.

Edited by SeeEmArgh
A word

20 minutes ago, persephone said:

I guess it depends on what sort of food you are feeding :) We may be able to suggest  other meats etc to substitute  for this time ? 

I alternate between beef and chicken. Have tried Kangaroo previously but he never really took to it.

I'd go with a good kibble and avoid rolls.  No point paying for water, and dry food doesn't clutter up the fridge and keeps for months.  Personally, I don't think it matters much what brand, though I tend to avoid the cheapest stuff with grain as first ingredient and mystery meat.

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SeeEmArgh said:

I alternate between beef and chicken. Have tried Kangaroo previously but he never really took to it.

:)  Any particular cuts/organs/bones? There may be cheaper options . Also for any vege content/supplements 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panto said:

Investing in freezer space, preparing in bulk amounts, you're probably better off. Prime 100 makes great training treats but I consider it a bit of a 'junk food' option for mine. 

I bought a freezer with the intention of buying in bulk. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate anywhere local where I can buy bulk. I'm in Newcastle so if anyone has any idea I am open to it. 

Thanks for the response on Prime 100. I thought of it as a possible option to reduce the overall cost with out being too bad. 

Edited by SeeEmArgh
A word
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, persephone said:

:)  Any particular cuts/organs/bones? There may be cheaper options . Also for any vege content/supplements 

With Beef it's mince and heart. With chicken it's mince, kidneys, necks and wings. With both I'm adding steamed veggies, egg, coconut oil, VANs Health Boost and Omega Blend. The meat is all Coles bought as I haven't been able to locate where to buy bulk. I know I could save there if I can find somewhere get bulk. 

15 minutes ago, SeeEmArgh said:

With Beef it's mince and heart. With chicken it's mince, kidneys, necks and wings. With both I'm adding steamed veggies, egg, coconut oil, VANs Health Boost and Omega Blend. The meat is all Coles bought as I haven't been able to locate where to buy bulk. I know I could save there if I can find somewhere get bulk. 

Maybe have a look here ? 

WHERE TO BUY RAW

• Like 1

I've fed the prime 100 and thought it was ok, pretty darn dense - I struggled to get through the roll before either went off.

I've not fed other rolls though, but the prime only has the meat, the 'other' like the tapioca in the croc and a little salt to my knowledge. I think for when you need a single protein they're very handy to have available 

1 hour ago, mackiemad said:

I've fed the prime 100 and thought it was ok, pretty darn dense - I struggled to get through the roll before either went off.

I've not fed other rolls though, but the prime only has the meat, the 'other' like the tapioca in the croc and a little salt to my knowledge. I think for when you need a single protein they're very handy to have available 

Thanks for the feedback. From what I could tell it seemed to be a more premium roll compared to the standard supermarket stuff. I won't be relying on what ever I supplement as a complete diet, so maybe I could alternate with this. My boy eats 1.2kg per day so I would move through a roll pretty quickly. 

Edited by SeeEmArgh
A sentence

WE fed prime100 weekly & had no issues at all but if your intention is to save money then im not sure what the price is for a roll in your area compared to sticking with the current method & what you would save or not save

Never had any issues with a roll going off & could only imagine that happening by buying the larger size & not using it like any product once opened .
They do the single protein which is more costly or they do the chicken/vege,beef/vege .

We have feed single protein & the chicken/vege & the dogs tolerate the vege way better ,the single protein we found the rice was not cooked enough & had dogs throw it up .

We dog feed raw as well .

• Like 1

I bought a freezer with the intention of buying in bulk. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate anywhere local where I can buy bulk. I'm in Newcastle so if anyone has any idea I am open to it. 

Thanks for the response on Prime 100. I thought of it as a possible option to reduce the overall cost with out being too bad. 

Even buying in larger portions from your usual sources is cheaper or making up your own mix.

RE the prime100 rolls, if you're using as training treats and training you definitely deduct that weight from the daily feed.

A high quality kibble I don't think is any cheaper butcould be more convenient.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

WE fed prime100 weekly & had no issues at all but if your intention is to save money then im not sure what the price is for a roll in your area compared to sticking with the current method & what you would save or not save

Never had any issues with a roll going off & could only imagine that happening by buying the larger size & not using it like any product once opened .
They do the single protein which is more costly or they do the chicken/vege,beef/vege .

We have feed single protein & the chicken/vege & the dogs tolerate the vege way better ,the single protein we found the rice was not cooked enough & had dogs throw it up .

We dog feed raw as well .

From a quick calculation based on Prime 100 SPD or SKD being approx $12 per roll I would save $50 a month. So not a bad saving. If I can get a better bulk price for raw I will try and go that way first.

3 hours ago, Panto said:

A high quality kibble I don't think is any cheaper but could be more convenient.

I do keep a small bag handy on the odd occasion that I have forgotten to make up a raw meal or have run out and need to head out the door quickly. I would need to check how much is in a big bag of kibble and compare against how much it costs me to feed raw which at the moment is about $8 per day. 

Edited by SeeEmArgh

We feed kibble for breakfast (Black Hawk, Savourlife, Meals For Mutts etc) and Raw for dinner. :) 

I'm not sure if it's cheaper to feed the kibble or not, but the kibble we get usually costs around $5/kg (in a 20kg bag) but we feed about 200g a day between the two dogs, so approx $1 a day (I think.) 

To bulk out the raw a bit you can add fruit/veges, we keep our scraps (carrot peels, strawberry tops, leftover banana, apple scraps etc because they love them :laugh:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Panto said:

Investing in freezer space, preparing in bulk amounts, you're probably better off. Prime 100 makes great training treats but I consider it a bit of a 'junk food' option for mine. 

Interesting feedback Panto. I haven't tried it, but I've only seen good things about it.

Edited by Scottsmum
  • Like 1