Agility training on fake / artificial / synthetic grass?

Hello all - Has anyone had success at home with fake / artificial / synthetic grass as an agility training surface?  My 'lawns' (weed and dirt patches with a few tufts of grass) receive quite a bit of punishment from my large active dogs racing around playing tag and wrestling as well as from agility training. Any experiences / suggestions that might help?  I'm in Canberra, so freezing sub-zero temperatures in winter, hot in summer and water is expensive. Many thanks in advance!

Thanks sheena. We wouldn't be training when it's hot anyway so I don't think heat's a big issue. I'm more concerned about whether they would rip it up or damage it with their claws or simply by running hard, turning hard etc.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, Asher said:

Thanks sheena. We wouldn't be training when it's hot anyway so I don't think heat's a big issue. I'm more concerned about whether they would rip it up or damage it with their claws or simply by running hard, turning hard etc.

late to reply, but no, it will hold up - they use synthetic turf for football fields and they wear studs and go hard on it. It doesn't have to be the top of the line but just don't get the cheapie stuff, you'll feel the difference in your hands before you buy.

2 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

I'd be more worried about whether the dog would slip and injure itself when driving out of tunnels or on tight turns.

True. It's certainly more slippery for football, I'd hate to think about the damage it could to an already ACL prone joint for a dog without a consciousness about injury prevention.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone that's all helpful. I've decided not to go with it, too many potential drawbacks and hassles for the expense. They'll just have to keep training on dirt and weeds :-) 

• Like 1